Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Sukunai
Org Profile

Re: Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Post by Sukunai » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:11 pm

When you consider the cost of the physical item, is almost nothing, its the cost to market the physical item that hurts the process.

I wish movies and all forms of video, could tap into the success of Steam which is doing so well for gaming that a friend was remarking Steam has become so big, it is in danger of becoming an illegal monopoly which while funny sounding, was a valid remark all the same.

I wonder, how much money would say Sony make, if they sold any movie that they had, for a 1 dollar download via a service like Steam.
There comes a point, when risking downloading dangerous illegal copies is not as good as downloading legal copies for peanuts.

If 20 million people downloaded a 1 dollar movie file, that's still an easy 20 million.
If they made it a 5 dollar file, no worse than a rental, that's 100 million. Not a bad return considering downloads can be free of most of the lost money leeched away from the source through middle man retailers.

I often think the industry is simply not bright enough to make adequate use of the internet.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:50 pm

*enthusiastic voice*

"INTRODUCING: FLASH MOVIES! MOVIES ON A FLASH DRIVE! EASILY PLUG-IN TO YOUR USB-COMPATIBLE DVD OR BLU RAY PLAYER AND WATCH THE MOVIE APPEAR INSTANTLY! NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT SCRATCHED DISCS OR BULKY COVERS. WANT TO WATCH YOUR MOVIE ON YOUR COMPUTER? PLUG N' PLAY WITH EASE! AND FOR OUR BIG DEBUT, THE FIRST MOVIE WE'RE GONNA PUT ON OUR FLASH MOVIE IS SUMMER WARS. WE'RE BIG FANS OF ANIME, SO IF YOU ORDER RIGHT NOW, WE'LL THROW IN FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD (BLU RAY QUALITY) COMPLETE COLLECTION AT HALF PRICE! SO ODER NOW! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

*roll credits*
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:11 am

The_TEKnician wrote:Movies sold and distributed on a USB drive? :awesome:

Digital format, comes with all the extras, easier to get, easier to store, easier to not complain about "OMG, I HAVE SO MANY DVDS I NEED TO GET RID OF!" (easier to rip? :book: )
I've seen dvd players and blu rays with USB inputs on them, maybe we should make use of them!
Flash drives would be step backwards as it costs more than the disc, so you might as well just distribute the disc. If you are going to do a digital file to get off the disc, you could still do a Blu-ray that allows you to rip it on to your PC (which is actually one of the future "plans" for Blu-ray, the ability to get a digital copy from some random server? I'm not too sure on the specifics, but it's different than the current "digital copy" way things are being done).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Flash drives would be step backwards as it costs more than the disc, so you might as well just distribute the disc.
Buy the DVDs...got it. OH WAIT, I'M ALREADY DOING THAT!!!! :awesome:
Sukunai wrote:its the cost to market the physical item that hurts the process.
bullseye. ADVERTISING IS EVERYTHING. "What you don't know won't hurt you, but what if you get cut? You don't even know what a band-aid is!"
Sukunai wrote:If 20 million people downloaded a 1 dollar movie file, that's still an easy 20 million.
Thats assuming 20 million people in North America even know of it. In regards to anime, i highly doubt that there are even close to 20million fans.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Never suggested there was 20 million anime fans, well actually that is not too impossible if you consider global market.

I was mostly thinking common mainstream film releases in that example.

The thing is, you CAN make a lot of money if the offer is impossible to resist.
I'm just not going to steal a file if it is available legit for a lousy buck.

Sure there are people out there that are incurably fucking cheap swine that simply couldn't even offer you a lousy buck. I'm not one of them.

My main beef is convenience. It is NOT convenient to go all the way to Blockbuster and find they have nothing interesting at the moment. Not all of us want the current top 10 selection. What would amuse me, is browsing a massive catalogue of films. It would be like a kid in a candy shop.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Sukunai wrote:I'm just not going to steal a file if it is available legit for a lousy buck...My main beef is convenience. It is NOT convenient to go all the way to Blockbuster and find they have nothing interesting at the moment. Not all of us want the current top 10 selection. What would amuse me, is browsing a massive catalogue of films. It would be like a kid in a candy shop.
rightstuf.com :ying:

/beef

Or are you still talking about mainstream american movies? I'm sorry, i kept thinking we were still talking about anime...

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Currently the example is primarily mainstream feature films.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

/topic

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm

At the end of the month here in town Blockbuster closes its doors for good. Poof gone.

The next day, all that will remain for video rental, is two corner convenience stores that have something like a couple of 100 items grand total, consisting mainly of schlock, no correction, entirely schlock.

There will be NO rental options in a town of 30k as of well right now actually as Blockbuster is only selling, the rentals are over.

That includes anime of course.

Is this a dark moment for anime though? Well when you consider that last year, when Blockbuster was not in emminent danger of ceasing to exist, the anime in the store was no better than a wretched selection of cliche junk already old news before the start of the century.

On the other hand, you can always check in with Netflix which apparently has all the anime you can stomache.
Or you can do Crunchyroll which provides anime that's actually NEW as well.
If the show is good enough to watch more than once, and you want to buy it, it's on sale on the internet if you seriously care.

Anime is not dying, and that's the bottom line.
Whether it is being marketed in an inspired fashion though, that might be up for debate.
It seems to have experienced some moments where the old way has led to some old companies rolling over and expiring.

Adapt or die.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:53 pm

I will say this, rental is different than owning. For me, rental digitally at a lower quality I don't mind, but I prefer the quality of Blu-ray as opposed to the lower streaming quality. Also, just something to think about, if your house burns down, you can't really claim digital content that is lost, but physical media you can.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “General Anime”