Desktop screencap!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Desktop screencap!

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:04 am

Image Image Image

And yes, the readout in the second image are of my real hardware specs.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Qyot27 wrote:495 MB RAM, 1GHz, nVidia GeForce 6200
Wow...did you find a dinosaur fossil when you excavated that too? :ying: I'm just kidding! KIDDING! At least you have a nice graphics card! :book:

*british accent* I love those bloody wallpapers!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:02 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:495 MB RAM, 1GHz, nVidia GeForce 6200
Wow...did you find a dinosaur fossil when you excavated that too? :ying: I'm just kidding! KIDDING! At least you have a nice graphics card! :book:

*british accent* I love those bloody wallpapers!
They're right here.

Want your mind blown even more?
  • It was 256MB and onboard Intel graphics up until New Years/January 2010. And the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, not DDR SDRAM.
  • I edited a 720p60 video in After Effects on it in 2007, well before the RAM/graphics upgrade. Encoding the placebo-level archival H.264 encode took an entire 3 or 4 days - for a 4-minute (albeit 720p60, as previously mentioned) video. All but the oldest AMVs I've edited were edited on it, for that matter.
  • It's on its third power supply, been expanded with a DVD drive (which was later swapped out for a DVD-R drive), had its original 5400rpm 30GB hard drive swapped out for a 7200rpm 160GB drive, had its 56k modem card taken out in favor of an ethernet card, and had a USB 2.0 card put in because up to that point it only supported USB 1.1.
  • The speakers, funny enough, are actually a relatively high quality 2.1 (stereo speakers+subwoofer) Altec Lansing set.
  • It's from one of the first few generations of eMachines that were released. A T1110, to be exact. The original base parts date from around summer of 2001.
  • The GeForce 6200 graphics card can't do video decoding acceleration, and even if it could accelerate MPEG-2 without the use of rip-off vendor software, the libavcodec software decoder in ffdshow and mplayer is still loads faster (and definitely more accurate). If I want to watch stuff encoded in H.264, I almost always have to convert it to standard def MPEG-2 or Xvid first.

I put the card in for only two reasons: to avoid having to drop from 24bit to 16bit color in order to play games because the onboard is too old to support 32bit, and to be able to play Touhou games without unplayable slowdowns in post-Embodiment of Scarlet Devil entries and outright crashing in Mountain of Faith and higher, as well as Twilight Frontier games like MegaMari (now they all run in the 45-60fps range). A fringe benefit is that it also allows for the compositing/transparency effects seen in the GNOME screenshot where the system spec readout also is.
The funniest irony I know of: considering the upgrades I've performed since 2003 (when I received the computer as a hand-me-down from my grandfather), it is actually within the realm of possibility that Windows 7 might run on this thing. It would be deathly slow and I probably would have to stick with non-Aero styling, but it could probably be done. There's video on YouTube of Win7 running on a machine with fairly comparable specs, with the exception of it having an older graphics card than the one I have and a true Pentium III rather than the PIII-based Celeron I have. There's even video of said computer running Portal.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Qyot27 wrote:It was 256MB and onboard Intel graphics up until New Years/January 2010. And the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, not DDR SDRAM.
Qyot27 wrote:It's on its third power supply...and had a USB 2.0 card put in because up to that point it only supported USB 1.1.
Qyot27 wrote:The speakers, funny enough, are actually a relatively high quality 2.1 (stereo speakers+subwoofer) Altec Lansing set.
Qyot27 wrote:I received the computer as a hand-me-down from my grandfather
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 pm

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Too simple?
ImageImage

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Yea just a bit...
Spoiler :
Mines just a yandere loli :awesome:

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 am

that's like really awesomely evil looking, is it your personal character or is it from an anime? If so from what anime. :)
ImageImage

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:07 am

It's Touhou fanart from pixiv

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:33 am

oh I see, it looked like an great horror anime char. Thank you anyway :)
ImageImage

Return to “General Anime”