Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

TEKnician
Org Profile

Re: Why Anime is Alive [and well] in North America

Post by TEKnician » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

CodeZTM wrote:Digital Download Distribution
Some of them keep some subtitles in them (like if a poster had kanji on it, they would show a subtitle right under it). I need clean footage. Plus, i get all the textless OPs and EDs and special eps associated with the dvds. I bought an Eureka Seven box set and it came with a soundtrack CD. This way, I got clean copies of some awesome music too! I just have more taste for DVDs...
sportsgirl1391 wrote: X] I cant wait for fairy tail to come out this fall. FUNimation is dubbing it :)
Hooraayy!!!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Spicey_wolf
Org Profile

Post by Spicey_wolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I agree anime isn't dead and wont ever be, but over the years anime shops have closed down, less dvd's at the usual places were I'd buy from, less anime on cable television. I think now
there is less company's that dub anime, It's mostly just funimation. The only place in my city that carries a big selection of anime dvd's is Fry's electronics and If I want something they don't
have, I have to get it online I can't just go out and get it. Which is fine, this isn't Japan besides I watch most my anime all online anyway. Netflix does have a great selection of anime though, so that is a plus.
Maybe it's just my city that has this problem, but phoenix AZ is a pretty big place. :?

FATTY_VM
Org Profile

Post by FATTY_VM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey, it's an OLDFA@!

It's all about the depth of the story, the exposure and the availability. Anime tends to be deeper than even the modern shows that tried to trend after the largest animation draws of the last two decades (make a guess as to which they were when you weed out individual in theater movies....) Exposure has grown exponentially since Toonami aired in the states, and peaked from '97 to 2006. And thanks to the dawn of the internet age, and the online generation ... 98+ .. well availability is endless.

This is a winning formula for a perpetuating media. It combines all three of these standards.
How many of you were born from '90 on?
How many are around that at least know about, or have watched some of the original dragonball?!? DBZ?! Beebop?

DRAGON BALL'S ANIME ENDED IN 1989 GUYS! That's a full year before most of you were born. DBZ's manga ended in '95 for a better reference.

Beebop's animation was finished in '99, Naruto's manga started in '99... Death Note, Berserk, Love Hina, Tenchi... go look up the dates. Don't get me started on Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, or the main Miyazaki movies, it starts to look more and more like we are in a modern media rut!

But, hey the internet came along and made it's presence be known in the mid 90's until it became ubiquitous in the 2000 time period in the US. Then it allowed for an increase, and easy access to large amount s of bandwidth and video's.... we can download GIGS of media, and even TB's on a whim. I can pull almost 30 years of availability of anything I want in mere minutes. (You can too, don't sugar coat this.) Then... have it ready to view at my leisure in 3 days... that's ridiculous, amazing, and now ... possible.

Anime is alive in north america because the market allows it. Anime is thriving and growing because it's a medium of entertainment that possesses depth, exposure and availability.

BTW, If you end up writing a thesis on this..... I'll be angry without at least a shoutout. :)
...the problem I see a lot is that many good amv makers think they suck, and many bad amv makers think they're good.
I've seen it happen, man! I've SEEN IT!..
--Rob Kenchu

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

The_TEKnician wrote:
Sukunai wrote:The whole buy the dvd thing though. I don't think there is any reason to think the modern world really needs a dvd.
THEN HOW THE FUCK ARE WE TO GET OUR ANIME FOOTAGE TO MAKE AMVS? I really don't know of any other LEGITIMATE method...

Anyone?
Well first off, worrying about legitimate source material is dumb. Yes I said DUMB. We don't have real genuine legal permission to use the stuff the way it is being used for AMVs nor is their genuine legal permission to use the music. So fretting over using a downloaded dvd is really at the end of the day, kinda stupid.

It's always good when you guys make the attempt, but lets get serious, it doesn't really matter in a courtroom, and that in the end is all that counts.

Digital download methods are an option, but it only needs to be an option. They like dumping all sorts of clutter on discs because we all know, they don't really need the full disc, they just have no reason to not use it. And now that we have started moving to blueray well hell that is considerable sums of gigs of data space.
I see no reason though why they can make it open to purchase downloads of all the bonus stuff as well.
Or just make the bonus stuff freely downloadable as good PR and effectivel advertising, Because conventional advertising is horrendously expensive.

The future is already here, and it just remains to see if various portions of the media based industries out there have the wisdom to embrace it.
Everyone is enjoying the ability to move massive sums of data on high performance internet services, it's about time the proper businesses at least started to make use of the same technology that the pirates are enjoying. If the p2p services can figure it out, isn't it about time the source companies started to learn?

Brick and mortar is ok, but in 2011, we no longer really need them as the only option.
I buy plenty of media still, I just don't need to buy it in a box any more. Or at the very least, I don't need to leave my home to shop for it.

The only stuff I still buy mainly off of a shelf is plastic models. And you know, even that is increasingly not necessary. Although I prefer to buy paint and glue in person. I think they dislike sending paint and glue in the mail due to the fact it is hazardous materials.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Sukunai wrote:worrying about legitimate source material is dumb. Yes I said DUMB. We don't have real genuine legal permission to use the stuff the way it is being used for AMVs nor is their genuine legal permission to use the music. So fretting over using a downloaded dvd is really at the end of the day, kinda stupid.
NOt unless you want good, CLEAN, high-quality source material to make the AMVs! I downloaded Angel Beats Episode 1 from iTunes to see if i could use it, but there were subtitles all over the good parts, so i couldn't. When i add an effect to a...pixellated vid, the end result is bastardization to hell, so i stopped doing that a long time ago. DVDs are good too because i can get nice videos and convert them to hi-res on my computer to watch at any time without worrying about lag, internet connectivity issues, or friggin commercials that have nothing to do with anime. (Unless it's Tiger and Bunny).

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 am

Well Sukunai, morons can completely buy into the digital distribution with lower overall quality while us disc based buyers can enjoy the full quality Blu-ray has to offer ;)! Despite popular belief by many uneducated people, digital distribution will never have the bandwidth available in our lifetime so that consumers can get the same quality on disc based solutions via streaming or digital distribution (unless you compare it to DVDs). Despite the advancing technology, the lack of consistent upgrades to the network backbone in the United States, a bottleneck will eventually be hit to slow things down.

Let's also not forget about importing anime might become impossible if digital distribution became the only way in which media was distributed. Also, you must realize, DRM WILL ALWAY BE THERE! Disc based solutions are the best way to avoid constant upgrades that will lock the videos you paid for so that you can only use it the way they allow.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 am

I said download the 'DVD', not some crappy format file copy eh. Not sure if that aspect was missed.

I suppose though, not all of us have access to decent newsgroups and decent ISPs that try to tell us that 60 gigs a month (like those lying bastards at Bell Canada) is adequate for internet service in 2011.

I am with Teksavvy though, and downloading actual dvds is no real problem. Although, it's been a few years since I had enough reason to want anything in dvd format any more. Well on disc more correctly. It's easier to just store the data as emulated discs on cheap multi TB drives.

But as for the comment about file quality, I have never had issues with 'file quality' if I wanted that quality.

Not overly taken with blueray downloads though. But that's time factor not file size issues. Just not enough things out there I want in better than dvd quality. I routinely rip out the extras and extraneous extra clutter off of dvd downloads, but that's mainly because 4.7 discs are cheaper than dual layer discs. Although with the rise of blueray, it has become moot. Nothing much is released in non blueray these days. Glad I was able to get my stash when dvd was still the rule. Everyone seems to only upload blueray these days.

Digital distribution though IS the norm, might as well get used to it. Just bought the expansion to BBC Battle Academy Market Garden (PC game from Slitherine) last night via digital download. Why pay 25 bucks for a jacket and a case when I can get just the file for 15 bucks and put it on a disc is I desperately need to myself.

l33tmeatwad the only one losing this argument is you :) Just ask my friend that has a blueray burner and seems quite happy to download blueray anime.
Although I do concur about the bandwidth. With government butt screwing Joe internet user, and the corporations telling us limited bandwidth is actually ok, there's a lot of very legit business that is fighting an uphill battle. Netflix, and the movie makers and anyone with anything worth watching, that stuff is all legit marketplace services that require proper bandwidth.

Time the asses realized that it is not just pirates in need of good high performance internet services.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

Sukunai wrote:I said download the 'DVD', not some crappy format file copy eh. Not sure if that aspect was missed.

I suppose though, not all of us have access to decent newsgroups and decent ISPs that try to tell us that 60 gigs a month (like those lying bastards at Bell Canada) is adequate for internet service in 2011.

I am with Teksavvy though, and downloading actual dvds is no real problem. Although, it's been a few years since I had enough reason to want anything in dvd format any more. Well on disc more correctly. It's easier to just store the data as emulated discs on cheap multi TB drives.

But as for the comment about file quality, I have never had issues with 'file quality' if I wanted that quality.

Not overly taken with blueray downloads though. But that's time factor not file size issues. Just not enough things out there I want in better than dvd quality. I routinely rip out the extras and extraneous extra clutter off of dvd downloads, but that's mainly because 4.7 discs are cheaper than dual layer discs. Although with the rise of blueray, it has become moot. Nothing much is released in non blueray these days. Glad I was able to get my stash when dvd was still the rule. Everyone seems to only upload blueray these days.

Digital distribution though IS the norm, might as well get used to it. Just bought the expansion to BBC Battle Academy Market Garden (PC game from Slitherine) last night via digital download. Why pay 25 bucks for a jacket and a case when I can get just the file for 15 bucks and put it on a disc is I desperately need to myself.

l33tmeatwad the only one losing this argument is you :) Just ask my friend that has a blueray burner and seems quite happy to download blueray anime.
Although I do concur about the bandwidth. With government butt screwing Joe internet user, and the corporations telling us limited bandwidth is actually ok, there's a lot of very legit business that is fighting an uphill battle. Netflix, and the movie makers and anyone with anything worth watching, that stuff is all legit marketplace services that require proper bandwidth.

Time the asses realized that it is not just pirates in need of good high performance internet services.
I suppose I should have been more specific, digital distribution for movies/TV isn't going to stick as well as it did for music and games. Part of the problem is the shattered market and the lack of featuers, as well as lowered quality. Games have the advantage of being rendered later, the only thing that suffers is the cut scenes, which most people skip anyways. When it comes to music, it's not quite as large and DRM isn't much of an issue anymore. When it comes to getting the entertainment to the device you need, music is much easier to "burn and use" to most consumers, where as for movies, most consumers don't know where to begin. You will always have audiophiles buying CDs, the same way you will have videophiles buying disc copies, because the quality of LEGAL copies just won't match (due to restrictions, I know you can get full quality illegal copies from newsgroups). I think you don't quite understand how the SYSTEM works, illegal copies aren't restricting quality with red tape like the legal distribution methods are.

Also, you need to understand, the limited bandwidth isn't just an ISP being mean, the bandwidth a company has is shared with ALL of it's user based, but currently not everyone is using as much as someone like you. If everyone was downloading Blu-ray ISOs every night, the overall speed the the entire network in the US would slow to a crawl, due to the lack of upgrades needed to keep up with the demand for bandwidth. ISPs right now are panicking because services like Netflix are starting to max out their bandwidth, and the only way to fix that without spending money to upgrade things is to tell people they can't have as much as they want :(.

Now, with all that said, I do see digital distribution more prevalent, but I still see more people sticking to disc based solutions for movies for logistical reasons. Keep in mind that for most consumers, it's easier to pop in a movie into a player hooked up to a TV rather than figuring out how to get that computer data onto the TV. I know services like Amazon have apps on TVs, but most consumers don't know what to latch onto to move on due to the flooding of different options.

Aside from those things, many people still go to the stores to buy things, and the fact is, it's much easier to sell a "actual product" to someone with it in their hand than to sell them some "card or code". There is also the fact that most movies online don't really go "on sale" as much as they are in the physical stores. As for cutting out the middle man, that isn't really true, iTunes and Amazon get cuts out of the media they sell. There are also economic reasons as to why more digital distribution of media could cause more damage to the companies offering it if everyone switched to online shopping only (we see a small scale version of this with book stores closing doors), but that's another discussion all together (if consumers have no jobs, they have no money to buy things ;)).

There are many reasons that things work the way they do and the quality is capped because of red tape, not because of available technology.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 am

"Also, you need to understand, the limited bandwidth isn't just an ISP being mean, the bandwidth a company has is shared with ALL of it's user based, but currently not everyone is using as much as someone like you. If everyone was downloading Blu-ray ISOs every night, the overall speed the the entire network in the US would slow to a crawl, due to the lack of upgrades needed to keep up with the demand for bandwidth. ISPs right now are panicking because services like Netflix are starting to max out their bandwidth, and the only way to fix that without spending money to upgrade things is to tell people they can't have as much as they want :(."

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. Welcome to the reason so many are so willing to shit all over people like Bell Canada for doing whatever they can to fucking lie about the truth. They blame a lot of things for the problems and they stonewall and in the end, they just want to be greedy and never invest in taking the infrastructure into the future. They just want business as usual ie they spend nothing, you continue to pay them too much for too little and stfu and stop asking for more.

In 2005, maybe it was closer to be more the fault of more people that were just plain downloading too much too illegally. That was then this is now, and frankly most of what I downloaded in 2005 was stale old movies I simply wanted digitally, that I had on crappy vhs and no one wanted to sell me realistically. No one in their right mind wants to pay premium for media that is older than the downloader.

Today though, our entirely legal, entirely legit needs, need every bit as much bandwidth as anything that was ever questionable. Yet, the big corporations would rather sit on their hands, continue making profits, off of old tech and not do anything to change anything. Netflix is frankly not really welcome by the corporations, as it threatens the old way.

I just watched Blockbuster video go down the drain because the old way is really and truly no longer viable. People WILL pick to get their video the easy way over the old way. Yes there are still people that will do it the old way, but the same people will also pick the easy way too. And in most cases, if they make the easy way actually work properly, they might just as easily dump the old way more so. The proof is how in my town, all of the video rental stores are GONE!. There is not one actual video rental store in town now, where before 10 years ago there was several. When Blockbuster closes the doors atr the end of the month, the ONLY choice of this town of 30k will be to buy it in Zellers or a couple of places like Canadian Tire where you might find it on a rack near the cash check out.

All Netflix really needs, is BETTER communications infrastructure to be capable of being made better. It can't use what isn't there.
I can find 5 bucks easily on an almost daily basis. If the source companies ie the movies studios, were to make their WHOLE catalogue available for top quality download for the price of a routine rental, damn right I'd be browsing their libraries and having a field day.
Damn right though that thieves would continue to do what they have been doing since we mastered fire.
Theft is likely one of the oldest human activities, even older than prostitution, because originally men didn't need to ask you eh.

But big corporations simply don't like change.
I say screw the MPAA the RIAA, and Bell Canada, and any major entity that simply won't enter the world I live in.
I'm perfectly willing to look any judge in the face and flat out tell them, I BOUGHT every last bit of data I ever downloaded fair and square regardless of the stupid disclaimers some services try to hide behind. Disclaimers don't mean squat. Bell Canada sells to Teksavvy and Teksavvy sells to me, and I use the power they sold me. In the end, the MPAA and the RIAA and anyone with digital woes, is being ripped off by Bell Canada to name just one. But i'd like to see the MPAA for instance stand a chance for long in a court room with people that have that much money eh. Not the same as dragging grandma Smith into court because she was caught being responsible for things her grandson downloads at her place.

If you look online close enough, the ONLY victories being won by groups like the MPAA and the RIAA is when they find a nobody that can't defend themselves. I for instance watched what happened to Newzbin last year. Not that it did anything. Someone merely added the numeral 2 to the name, and made a complete farce out of the court 'victory'.

Society, ie the corporations ie people like the MPAA, or more close to us here, the anime industry, will only move forward when they pull their heads out of their collective asses.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Movies sold and distributed on a USB drive? :awesome:

Digital format, comes with all the extras, easier to get, easier to store, easier to not complain about "OMG, I HAVE SO MANY DVDS I NEED TO GET RID OF!" (easier to rip? :book: )
I've seen dvd players and blu rays with USB inputs on them, maybe we should make use of them!

Return to “General Anime”