Steins;Gate

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Bongu-san
Org Profile

Re: Steins;Gate

Post by Bongu-san » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 pm

guy07 wrote:Did anybody else get inspiration to make a 'Smack my bitch up' AMV? lol
I'm sure there will be someone to go there as part of a larger video.

It was a little after the watching the previous episode that I thought:
Spoiler :
Wasn't Kurisu dead in the original timeline? But she was a considerable factor in the developing the time travel equipment. I see a paradox brewing...
I was also sad to learn that
Spoiler :
FB does not stand for Face Book.
But please keep up with the fan art! :D

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Episode 22 of Steins Gate was so awesome. Okabe delivered the greatest Pyrrhic victory speech that I've heard in my entire life. I was cheering and holding back tears at the same time. It was beautiful.

and after the credits....
Spoiler :
HOLY SHIT! :shock: 2 more episodes to go :beer:

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Was a pretty powerful episode.
Spoiler :
I may be a cynical bastard cause I totally LOL'd at the end when they showed a bit from the next episode. Okabe, we know you've saved the world from a corporation taking global control using coruption and saved mayuri while losing a lover not to mention dealing with all of that emotionally but we ALSO NEED YOU TO STOP WORLD WAR 3! :rofl: As if this anime wasn't all over the place with story at this point as it is. I'm sure it will all fall into place at some point, it was just a really weird thing to be thrown out of nowhere. Of course after having watched this episode I don't accept an ending in which Kurisu dies. :x
Poor okabe, hes the punchline for the joke that is fate.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:57 am

Give me back my Kurisu!

today I lol'ed at this picture
Spoiler :
ImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 am

Fall_Child42 and I had watched the first ep of this, with the intent to continue but had gotten busy with other stuff. Last night I watched 2-4. This is my new favorite show in the entire world. I identify with Okabe so much it's scary. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm

ep 23 was such an thrilling muahahaha chapter.
Spoiler :
The Fact that he actually stabbed Kurisu himself knocked me dead but it added that much spice in the souse.
I don't think I'll be able to accept that this is gonna end with just another 3 episodes.. :(
ImageImage

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

ibabrak wrote:ep 23 was such an thrilling muahahaha chapter.
Spoiler :
The Fact that he actually stabbed Kurisu himself knocked me dead but it added that much spice in the souse.
I don't think I'll be able to accept that this is gonna end with just another 3 episodes.. :(
I love this show so much.
Spoiler :
Okarin's "I'm so tired" line was so powerful that I wanted to cry.

Cross/fade
Type-Moon <3
Org Profile

Post by Cross/fade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 am

This episode was so epic I had to watch it twice ..... and that happens rarely this days.
Spoiler :
When the message from the future Okarin started playing everything went UBER-GAR suddenly.

El Psy Congroo !

Also, you guys might want to read this. It's a post from Divine (Random Curiosity anime blog) that explains what is exactly happening. It doesn't contain any spoilers so everyone is safe to read it. It actually blows my mind how well written this Light Novel is:
Spoiler :
This is actually a lot more convoluted than it seems, so I get the feeling that not too many people truly understand what’s going on. It took me a while to make sense of it myself and I had to refer to a timeline for the game to do so. For some of the not-so-obvious implications of all the time travel — which the anime probably won’t explain in anymore detail — see below.

The main reason that Rintarou of 2025 didn’t send his video D-mail, a.k.a. movie mail, to Rintarou of July 28th and tell that version of himself to save Kurisu is because he wants to preserve the three weeks of hell he went through where he developed feelings for Kurisu. (Three weeks actual time, but he may have spent years repeating those three weeks for all we know.)

It was that experience that drove the current Rintarou of August 21st to spend the next 15 years of his life with Daru creating a time machine and perfecting the video D-mail to try and save Kurisu. He wants to cause a divergence towards Steins Gate after those three weeks and not before it. To accomplish that, he needs Rintarou of 8/21 to do it for him. He also needs to trick history.

The reason why the video D-mail from 2025 came after Suzuha from 2036 is because her arrival is a prerequisite to put the current Rintarou of 8/21 into a slightly modified version of the Beta timeline where he will send a movie mail back to himself. The reason why Suzuha didn’t go back in time until 2036 is because the time machine wasn’t completed until 11 years later. (Note: As Suzuha mentioned before, Rintarou was already dead by then, having been killed in 2025, leaving Daru to finish the time machine alone. Incidentally, 2025 is when World War 3 broke out in the Beta timeline.)

In this version of the Beta timeline, everything from the “world’s perspective” remains the same. Kurisu is still dead, except she’s killed by Rintarou. History is fooled because Suzuha has inserted a change in history that allows Rintarou to receive a movie mail, while adhering to the effects of the Attractor Field convergence — the phenomenon where certain events in a given timeline are fated. Rather than fighting hopelessly against fate, Rintarou of 2025′s plan is to first go along with it. In other words, whether Rintarou or Dr. Nakabachi kills Kurisu doesn’t change fact that Rintarou and Daru will spend the next 15 years of their life creating a time machine and perfecting the video D-mail. A change definitely occurred though since Rintarou of 8/21 is now responsible for killing Kurisu, but it’s so subtle that there was no perceived divergence. It went practically undetected by the timeline. As soon as Rintarou of Suzuha returned to August 21st, 2010, they were already on a path to a slightly different future though. According to the game, the shift was from only from 1.130205 to 1.130209~1.130211. i.e. a 0.000004~0.000006 change.

The video mail sent to Rintarou on July 28th is only readable now because it is sent by the Rintarou of 8/21 that killed Kurisu. The original Rintarou of 7/28 (in episode one) received noise, because Rintarou of 2025 had to send one (even if it was blank) so that the current Rintarou of 8/21 will send one as well fifteen years from now when he becomes Rintarou of 2025. Remember, the subtle change on who killed Kurisu doesn’t change the current future. However, Rintarou can change the contents of that D-mail to himself like we saw here. The first Rintarou of 2025 who didn’t kill Kurisu left a future means to get a message back to Rintarou of 8/21 where he can keep trying to save Kurisu. This time, it’s over a span of 15 years and Rintarou is receiving D-mails instead of sending them.

Now that Rintarou of 2025 is getting closer to tricking history, he tasks Rintarou of 8/21 with the last part of the plan, to save Kurisu without affecting anything afterward that leads to saving her. It sounds absurd but makes perfect sense if you think about it. If Rintarou of 2025 or Suzuha of 2036 just saved Kurisu themselves, they would’ve pre-empted the very three-week experience that caused Rintarou to try and save her in the first place. They would’ve gone to a whole new timeline and who knows what would go wrong there. The plan is to stay on the current timeline but save Kurisu. To do that, he needs to make sure that the current Rintarou of 8/21 saves Kurisu while fooling himself on 7/28 so that everything that’s happened up to this point remains exactly the same. The divergence to Steins Gate comes from destroying the research papers, but starts from August 21st onward when the time machine returns to that day. It’s not explicitly stated, but I presume that would be another 1+% divergence since World War 3 will have been prevented.
1 episode left.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:33 am

Labcoat: check.
Future Gadget "personal computer used as a video player" (name under consideration): check.
Dr. Pepper: check.

MY BODY IS READY.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:20 pm

This was such a fantastic end. I can't wait for the movie.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -green-lit

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”