Opening mkv Files With avisynth but keeping the subtitles

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
G-Force
Org Profile

Opening mkv Files With avisynth but keeping the subtitles

Post by G-Force » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:08 am

Using the codecs and guide provided I was able to open my mkv files in virtualdub with a very simple avisynth script

FFCopyrightInfringement(filename)

I found that using DirectShowSource does get the file to open but when in virtualdub the playback slider doesn't move while in vritualdubmod I have a smooth playback but no audio. However that's ok cause the new script has taken care of that but now there are no subtitles in the video footage. Now I know for a fact that it is possible to get subtitles from these mkv files as I was able to do so by sheer luck in the past. I was fiddling with my CCP settings by randomly checking and unchecking boxes when all of a sudden I saw subtitles in virtual dub when I loaded the mkv. I was wondering how I can replicate those results again. Pretty much I intend to take my subbed anime episodes and make small clips out of them for personal projects. I figure learning how to keep/remove the subtitles on them would be a handy skill to learn just in case I need to do so again in the future.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Opening mkv Files With avisynth but keeping the subtitle

Post by mirkosp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 am

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/

First, you'll need to extract the subtitle track and the fonts. Then, install the fonts in your system. After that, copy vsfilter.dll in your avisynth's plugins folder, and then, after loading the mkv, you can load subtitles with

Code: Select all

TextSub("file.ass")
Alternatively, you can use assrender instead to load subtitles. This one is based on libass instead of being based on vsfilter.

Feel free to use whichever solution you prefer; do mind that the rendering of some specific tags differ between the two.

G-Force
Org Profile

Post by G-Force » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

Even after using google I'm a bit clueless on how to install/run mkvestractgui. Is it possible I get a step by step guide on how to use it?

I'm sorry for my general noobiness.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 am

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... ml#windows

First you'll need to install the MVToolnix. Then, you place the mkvextractgui2 exe in the same folder in which mkvtoolnix gets installed.
Should be easy after that.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 am

assrender is a bit hard for nubs to use last I looked at it. That said, copying the VSFilter from CCCP and using that is surefine for TextSub, although still need the .ass file.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Easiest way is to use directshowsource, and just enable subtitles in the ffdshow options.

G-Force
Org Profile

Post by G-Force » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 am

Zarxrax wrote:Easiest way is to use directshowsource, and just enable subtitles in the ffdshow options.
I can't use directshowsource when opening mkv files through virtualdub. For some reason the playback doesn't work (slider doesn't move in virtualdub while there's no sound in virtualdub mod) Meanwhile the subtitle box is checked when I looked at the video options of ffdshow.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 am

Yes, you're using DSS. Don't do that. DSS SOUNDS easier in theory but ffcopyrightblahblahblah().textsub() isn't really that difficult.

Return to “AviSynth Help”