Mkv to vob? Possible?

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Mkv to vob? Possible?

Post by Neverend » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 am

I was thinking as i really like to edit with the avs script out from dv2 files(vob) Now i have found some really nice looking mkv files, but we all know that mkv is nightmare for us editors! so i now need to make my mkv files into vob, is that possible?

Just that would just help me and several other editors i know a bunch!

help help help <3

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Mkv to vob? Possible?

Post by mirkosp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 am

Remux the mkv to m2ts with tsmuxer (not vob, but consider it its Blu-ray brother), then you could use dgavcdecdi/dgdecnv.
But honestly, the better choise is to just use ffvideosource on the mkv. I mean, you generally do the opposite ─ as in, remux m2ts to mkv ─ in order to load BD files with ffvideosource, so it's just very strange to want the opposite, and you can't really convert the mkv to mpg or vob without re-encoding, thus lowering the quality, so that isn't really a choice.

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Post by Neverend » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:57 pm

well ive tried editing with ffvideosource, but im just getting upset at the alltime low preview rendering!
I just want to open my vob files into dgiindex and make an dv2 out it and the edit from that with an avs script!
Even if that means loosing some of the quality its fine, atleast i can edit then..

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 am

The quality of your render isn't going to change just because you have a different input container... If you put shit in, you get shit out. No idea why you think n2ware is going to be faster than myrfluffware though.

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Post by Neverend » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 am

Im not sure you understand what my problem is, i don't care if i loose abit of quality, becuse right now i can't edit with MKV's and that is even if i use directshowsource! Premiere 2.0 hate mkv's and i don't have enough space for converting them into losslesses, so i just want them to be into VOB's and then use DGI index to make an DV2 file as dv2 files and AVS scripts really work well in both the script and in premiere

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Mkv to vob? Possible?

Post by ngsilver » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 pm

You can try converting the mkv files to high quality xvid. It's what I do for amv wars when an editor can't use a vob/avisynth. If you set quality to max you'll still save space vs lossless but you should also then be able to use avisource with avisynth to pull the vid into premier. You'll loose some quality, but you said you don't care about that.

I've never heard of converting to vob before. But a vob is essentially an mpeg2 file so you can technically convert to mpeg2 and use dgindex then. But I'd prefer the xvid option.
ImageImageImageImage

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:42 am

Why not just use MPEG4-AVC (h.264) then? Premiere should have no problem with that, and you get a better quality to size ratio than MPEG4-ASP (XviD) or MPEG2. FFMS2 should still perform better than DSS/DSS2/n2ware though. If it doesn't, you're doing something horribly wrong and have bigger problems to worry about.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”