Anime Vegas 2011 DEADLINE PASSED - Winners announced!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Stryyder
Org Profile

Anime Vegas 2011 DEADLINE PASSED - Winners announced!!

Post by Stryyder » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Hey guys! It's that time once more. Anime Vegas 2011 is coming, this November, once again to the Alexis Park. And that means the return of the AMV contest! I am Stryyder, your humble host for a second helping of anime music video fun times. I know last year was a little turbulent, especially in the scheduling department, but I have full knowledge of the problems that happened and will do everything in my power to rectify them this year. There are a few changes to the rules this year.
Spoiler :
1) Categories - A bit of a format change. We have gotten rid of the Trailer/Parody category, as well as taking romance out of the Drama category. However, in doing so we have added 2 new categories:
A: Upbeat - There are a lot of videos that don't really fit into any category, they are just fun to make, fun to watch and have an upbeat feel to them.
B: Romance/Sentimental - Melding Romance and Drama together can be a good thing, but sometimes you just need to let then shine equally.

2) Submissions - All submissions must still be made digitally, through email or a download service. However, I have expanded the codecs that can be used. They don't have to be fully finished, ready to play vids this year, however they do still have to be compressed formats.

3) Contact info - to simplify things this year, because I know there were some email issues last year, all correspondences will be through AnimeVegasAMV@yahoo.com.

Aside from that, there shouldn't be too much new stuff, but just the same I IMPLORE everyone to make sure to READ THE RULES COMPLETELY BEFORE ENTERING!! And without further ado, the rules!

AMV Contest Rules for Anime Vegas 2011

The 2011 AMV Contest is open to all AMV creators residing in the US. Video Submission Deadline is September 5th, 2011 SEPT 18TH, 2011 (9/18/11).

Contestants may compete for top prize in five categories:

1. Action/Adventure – Videos about action, battles, and quests, the best in upbeats and beatdowns.
2. Drama – Got a video that will make someone cry, get angsty, or just stand in reverent awe? This is the category for you.
3. Comedy – The jewel of most AMV contests, how many sides can you split? Show us the funny!
4. Upbeat – Sometimes you just want to have fun and go with the flow. Bring up our spirits.
5. Romance/Sentimental – Everyone likes a good love story....even guys.

Contestants may enter more than one AMV, but contestants may submit only one entry per category.

***The following is subject to change if not enough entries***
Judging:

All entrants will be prescreened and judged prior to the convention. The top 5 videos for each category will be selected as finalists to be screened at the convention. Audience members will be given a voting ballot for the contest and choose their favorite video for each category. At the end of the show, audience members will be asked to circle one video out of the entire show to be voted as Best in Show.

Category Prizes:
Prizes will be awarded for the following:

1. Best In Category (Audience) – The top video from each category, based on audience vote.
2. Judge’s Favorite – The video that ranks the highest score among the judges.
3. Best in Show – Top video overall, based on audience vote.
4. Special Judge’s Favorite – The special judge’s favorite is only open to those creators in attendence at the convention. Video’s will be screened for a special judge from the AMV community, who will choose the winner of this prize.

Winners will receive an award as well as some anime goodies that are TBD.

Note: Winners not in attendence will be eligible to receive their award by mail, however any other prizes must be accepted in person at Anime Vegas.

Video Length:

Videos must be a minimum of 1 minute playback time and up to a maximum of 6 minutes playback time. Any videos not meeting the playback time requirement will be disqualified.

Video Resolutions:
All digital video formats submitted to the contest should follow NTSC standard 720x480 @ 29.97 FPS, interlaced or progressive 720x480 @ 24 FPS.

Format:
Videos should be submitted in one of the following formats:
AVI
WMV (Not recommended)
MPEG-2
h264
MPEG-4
All entries should be compressed to standard playback sizes, NOT uncompressed versions. If you have any questions about acceptable formats please contact: AnimeVegasAMV@yahoo.com.

Disqualifications:
Please remember that Anime Vegas is a FAMILY FRIENDLY event and video content should be appropriate for all ages, primarily anime content and a high-quality product.

Your video will be disqualified from competition if:
1) your video is found to be poorly encoded as to have any large artifacts or many small artifacts, poor color, etc.
2) it is found to be in poor taste, contains excessive violence, sexual content, and/or strong language.
3) it contains subtitles (except within context). If your source has subtitles that cannot be deleted, please crop them out. As well, videos should not contain industry credits if opening/ending credit footage is used.
4) it contains primarily live action footage instead of anime, or has excessive non-anime related video footage (video game FMVs are permitted). Videos should consist of no less than 80% anime footage.
5) it does not meet the minimum or maximum required playback length of time.
6) it contains bumpers/title screens. All videos will be given uniform identifying slides. If you do not/cannot get a non-bumper version, we will attempt to edit out bumpers, and will notify you if we are unable to.

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to submit your AMV way before the due date, ESPECIALLY if your AMV content or format is questionable. Creators whose videos meet one of the disqualification criteria will be notified and updated videos can be resubmitted for consideration. It is recommended to keep your saved edit files. It is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to respond and read your e-mails frequently during the contest submission period for updates, information and confirmations.

Submitting videos
All videos will be accepted via online submission, no snail mail.

The following information should be included with all submissions:

Your First & Last Name:
Title of video:
Artist(s): (if multiple songs are used, list ALL the artists you used in the AMV)
Song(s) : (if multiple songs are used, list ALL the songs you used in the AMV)
Anime used: (if multiple anime is used, list ALL the anime you used in the AMV)
Your Email address:
Video Category:
Will you be attending Anime Vegas: Yes/No

Upload sites
Entries may be submitted via upload sites (ie: Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc.).
Entries may also be submitted as downloads from Animemusicvideos.org. Email download links and the above information to AnimeVegasAMV@yahoo.com.

DISCLAIMER: Contestants waive all rights to any fees, copyrights, royalties, or any forms of compensation for the use of their name, likeness and videos in publicity, marketing, and public viewing by Anime Vegas and http://www.animevegas.com.

If you have any questions about the contest or submitting your video, please contact us at AnimeVegasAMV@yahoo.com.

Good luck!

~Stryyder
John Galietta III – AV AMV Coordinator
Finalists!! (click below)
Spoiler :
The judging is finally finished. Here are the finalists that will be screened at the convention. For those of you who will be attending, remember, even though you may not be a finalist you are STILL eligible for the special judge's award which will be awarded to the attendee whose video was chosen by our special judge, KagatoAMV/Nic N/Studio Hybrid. Also, make sure to CHECK IN WITH ME at the AMV showing so I know you are there. Right now the AMV contest is tentatively scheduled for Friday 11/11 from 5-8pm. I have done all I can to make sure the contest is in the program but, alas, it is all up to fate now. If you DON'T see it in there, make sure to check the schedule at the door to the video room as early as you can at the con. And without further ado, the finalists!!

Action/Adventure
It's War by Leland Lacey
One Wild Night by Drew Brisco
Written in the Spirals by Mark Scully
Make Some Noise by Heather Wells
Diamond Eyes by Alex Hansen

Drama/Romance
Mad World by Brad Demoss
From the Hereafter with Love by Drew Brisco
Give it All by Caleb Taylor
Mahou Shojo requiem by Mark Scully
Dark Interlude by Carolyn & Jessica Nalbandian

Comedy
Evangelion 0.22: Shinji does (not) mean Business by Scott Turner
Me, Myself and Me by Tom Ackerman
Lyrical Tokarev Knock them out by Quentin Harris
It's OK if it's You by Caleb Taylor
Bandwagon by Phil Conrad

Upbeat
A Different Kind of Dance by Drew Brisco
Ouran Host Club Welcomes You! by Caleb Taylor
R.O.L.L! by Amy Boyter
Safety Dance by Mark Scully
What the Hell by Scott Turner

Romance/Sentimental
Darklight by John Wendel
Have you Seen Tenma by Quentin Harris
You for Me by Mark Scully
First Kiss by Brett Burgess
Your Love by Stephanie Clare

Congratulations and we'll see you at con!
Ok, the show is over and here are the winners!

Best in Category: Action/Adventure - It's War by Leland Lacey

Best in Category: Drama/Romance - Give it All by Caleb Taylor (beating out Mahou Shojo Requiem by ONE vote)

Best in Category: Comedy - Evangelion 0.22: Shinji does (not) mean Business by Scott Turner

Best in Category: Upbeat - Ouran Host Club Welcomes You! by Caleb Taylor

Best in Category: Romance/Sentimental - First Kiss by Brett Burgess

Special Judge's Award - Diamond Eyes by Alex Hansen

Judges' Favorite - Safety Dance by Mark Scully

Best of Show - Ouran Host Club Welcomes You! by Caleb Taylor

Congratulations to all the winners! See you next year.

~Stryyder
Last edited by Stryyder on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room Manager 2014-
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room staff 2010-2013
Anime California: AMV Staff 2019-
Anime Conji: AMV Staff 2014-2015
Anime Vegas: AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2013

Stryyder
Org Profile

Re: Anime Vegas 2011 AMV Contest Official Rules: Deadline 9-

Post by Stryyder » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

A little over a month to deadline, let's get some more vids in!

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Just sent in my video. YeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa!
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Stryyder
Org Profile

Post by Stryyder » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 am

Hey guys, less than a month to deadline, need more entries. Keep them coming.

Also remember, sorry but we don't accept international entries, US residents only.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Stryyder wrote:Hey guys, less than a month to deadline, need more entries. Keep them coming.

Also remember, sorry but we don't accept international entries, US residents only.
Awe.....

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Stryyder wrote:Hey guys, less than a month to deadline, need more entries. Keep them coming.

Awe.....

Vlad
If you attend, you can enter :D (yes, that is official. if you attend the con you may enter regardless of being international or not.)

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Ok, entered a few videos.
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Anime Vegas 2011 DEADLINE NOW SEPT 18, NEED MOAR ENTRIES

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:23 pm

DEADLINE NOW SEPTEMBER 18TH

OKAY GUYS, i'm officially assistant coordinator of this competition and therefore am asking, no, INFORMING all ya'll out there that WE NEED MORE ENTRIES IF THIS CONTEST IS GONNA HAPPEN!!

if you've ever been to Anime Vegas then you should know that the AMV department is (for lack of a better word) LACKING. I'd like for the people there to realize what an artform AMVs truly are and not just the slapped together unskilled dribble they see on youtube. I am willing to even throw in the WE HAVE NO AGE LIMIT RULE yet, so you may send in older stuff even if you wish, as long as you haven't entered it into Vegas before.

So come on, guys, Vegas needs amvs! and i can't be in the contest so you don't even have to worry about me as your competition... oh yeah. i went there :asd: (j/k of course)
Last edited by Rider4Z on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm

I think I can finish something in time for it.

Because, you know, I totally owe you for all you do for the Disney MEPs. :D

EDIT: But your 720x480 and FPS standards make me sad. :| /still enters
EDIT2: Is there a limit on how many AMVs we can send? Because I totally have another one that might get finished too.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:41 pm

I just sent in a comedy.

Oh and...
Rider4Z wrote:and i can't be in the contest so you don't even have to worry about me as your competition... oh yeah. i went there :asd:
...bring it. :rofl:
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”