Problem exporting Premiere Elements 9

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Uanime5
Org Profile

Problem exporting Premiere Elements 9

Post by Uanime5 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 am

I've recently made an AMV with Premiere Elements 9 however when I try to export it using the codec huffyuv, lagarith, or utvideo the footage becomes heavily interlaced. Though if I use DV NTSC the interlacing is greatly reduced. Is there a lossless codec that's similar to DV NTSC?

I've tried exporting other clips using Premiere Elements 9 and the utvideo codec, and they're fine so I'm wondering if I did something wrong with my DVD footage. I've tried using Virtualdub to check it frame by frame and there's no interlacing so is there anything else I can do to test how interlaced a video clip is?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Problem exporting Premiere Elements 9

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm

There's no degree of interlacing, it's a binary attribute. It either is, or it isn't.

Now, that isn't to say you can't do something like improperly process your import so it doesn't look interlaced to you (but still is), then have your software set to interlace it again on output. In fact I'd check to see if you didn't do just that.

Post your script you used for pre-processing and a screenshot of your export settings.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Uanime5
Org Profile

Post by Uanime5 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:12 pm

More frames seem to be interlaced when I don't use DV NTSC. The reason for this is unknown.

Here is my preprocessing script:

Code: Select all

MPEG2Source("C:\HG3\VIDEO_TS\VTS_04_1.d2v", cpu=4)

TFM(slow=2, pp=5, clip2=TDeint(mode=2, type=3))
TDecimate()
The DVD footage contained interlacing so I had to deinterlace it. I found that adding 'ChangeFPS(29.97)' to the end of the script meant that it wasn't interlaced when I imported and exported it.

I'll upload a screenshot of my settings as soon as I can.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Both your project and export settings would be great.

The checklist for dealing with issues like this is to:
1) verify you have interlaced footage to begin with. (in virtualdub or something similar)
2) verify you deinterlaced correctly. (in a media player outside of your editing program)
-> If it helps, go frame by frame in a high motion segment and full-screen the video in your media player.
3) verify your project settings are not set to expect interlaced video (you already got rid of it)
4) verify your export settings aren't set to interlace or deinterlace your video (again, you already got rid of it, your files should be progressive)
| | |

Uanime5
Org Profile

Post by Uanime5 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Here are my project settings.
Spoiler :
1) In DGIndex the DVD footage was interlaced.

2) I check the footage in Media player and frame by frame in Virtual Dub, there was no interlacing. Thus I deinterlaced correctly.

3) How do I do this?

4) It's interlaced whether it's set to progressive, lower, or upper.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Those export settings look correct, but the source attributes are off. Your source is flagged as being lower field first, i.e. interlaced. So your project settings are wrong or you're importing your footage wrong.

I have been told that elements doesn't let you change your sequence properties after you create the sequence... If this is true, you're going to need to create a new sequence with the correct settings and move the entire video to it.
| | |

Uanime5
Org Profile

Post by Uanime5 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't understand what you're asking me to do.

Do I need to edit my video clips using virtual dub? If so what avs script should I use.

Do I need to make a new project in elements using different settings? If so which setting should I use.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Uanime5 wrote:Do I need to edit my video clips using virtual dub? ... Do I need to make a new project in elements using different settings? If so which setting should I use.
Your project settings need to match your input video.

Once you deinterlace your video files they are, by definition, progressive. Your project settings need to be progressive as well. The image you linked says that this is not the case. It's saying that your project sequence (sequence01) is interlaced (lower field first). This is either because:
A) your project settings are wrong (i.e. you need to make a new project with the correct ones), or
B) your project settings are wrong AND your input video is actually interlaced.

I'll take you at your word that you preprocessed correctly and say that A is the most likely scenario.
| | |

Uanime5
Org Profile

Post by Uanime5 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Okay thank for your help. It was A.

After checking the project setting I found that elements has an upper and lower present for 720x480 but not a progressive one, no longer allows users to make custom presets, and the Dynamic sequence preset doesn't work. Fortunately if I use a 1280x720 present and add a big black border to my clips I can make an AMV without my clips getting screwed up.

Songbird21
Org Profile

Post by Songbird21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:A) your project settings are wrong (i.e. you need to make a new project with the correct ones)
Bash, for the love of God, tell me there is another way. I don't have time to re-edit my entire AMV before the deadline. :cry:
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

Return to “Adobe Software”