New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC Winners Here!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
exVanquish
Org Profile

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Post by exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:I've edited a video in 1920x1080. I have a these resolutions also:
640x360
960x540
1280x720
1440x810

Footage from Five Centimeters Per Second
23.976 Frames per Second
H264 (x264 encoded)

Audio from Pendulum's Watercolor
1080 version contains FLAC audio - this is a specific area of interest, can you support FLAC or shall I use MP3?
other versions contain various MP3 bit-rates but If I can I'd like to submit a FLAC encoded variant.

Length 5:04

The opening sequence during the song introduction/build-up has dialogue from the first episode, with the characters having a light conversation about cherry blossoms before one of the characters runs off.
The full video also has karaoke subtitles and a Japanese translation as I created the video with the intention of showing it to a few friends here and there, including Japan.
I was recommended to enter it in a competition, and was pointed to newyorkcomiccon.com.

TL;DR:
I can upload a 640x360 with any audio format, depending on what you support.
I spent a day on the timed karaoke subtitles. Leave them or remove them?
Dialogue: yes or no?

If these two last aspects are likely to hinder me, I may as well not bother as I'd have to re-edit the whole opening and recompress the whole thing.

I've tried to e-mail this to them as well, but it keeps saying the e-mail doesn't exist. I really just want some critique on it as I just had the idea out of nowhere then two days later it's done.
Dialogue is discouraged as it says, however, if it's needed in the video, and it's done right, it'll only improve your video. It's up to you.

Karaoke subtitles.. well, I'd probably remove them, but once again it's up to you, however I'd suggest you do so. They usually hinder videos in my experience.

If you need critique on a video, there are plenty of people that can give you it.

Video should be at least 480p.
MetamorphosisStudios wrote:I'm so entering this 8-)
Looking forward to it.

Edit: oh and email updated in the first post. It should be good now.
I don't edit. Usually.

YiuKorochko
Org Profile

Post by YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:36 pm

TrinityDown wrote:Dialogue is discouraged as it says, however, if it's needed in the video, and it's done right, it'll only improve your video. It's up to you.

Karaoke subtitles.. well, I'd probably remove them, but once again it's up to you, however I'd suggest you do so. They usually hinder videos in my experience.

If you need critique on a video, there are plenty of people that can give you it.

Video should be at least 480p.
Alrighty, well the song Watercolor has quite a build-up and it just doesn't really work with this particular anime so the dialogue fills the gap a little.

Karaoke subs - fair enough, it's more of a specific fan-base area of expertise...should/can I have a watermark of my name also? IE: Yiu korochko. The subbed version has it purely for online distribution but if it corrupts the visual layout at all, I can take it away for this particular contest.

Would you mind having a quick look? :P

Technically speaking, 640x360 is 480p...:confused: 480p goes back to Standard Definition where 4:3 was king (640x480) and any 16:9 footage was fit into the picture with letterboxing. HD standards have flipped it, where 4:3 fits into the 720p and 1080p with pillarboxing. To be safe, I'll just upload the 1080p version. Do you know if they support the FLAC audio format?

exVanquish
Org Profile

Post by exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
Alrighty, well the song Watercolor has quite a build-up and it just doesn't really work with this particular anime so the dialogue fills the gap a little.

Karaoke subs - fair enough, it's more of a specific fan-base area of expertise...should/can I have a watermark of my name also? IE: Yiu korochko. The subbed version has it purely for online distribution but if it corrupts the visual layout at all, I can take it away for this particular contest.

Would you mind having a quick look? :P

Technically speaking, 640x360 is 480p...:confused: 480p goes back to Standard Definition where 4:3 was king (640x480) and any 16:9 footage was fit into the picture with letterboxing. HD standards have flipped it, where 4:3 fits into the 720p and 1080p with pillarboxing. To be safe, I'll just upload the 1080p version. Do you know if they support the FLAC audio format?
FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.
I don't edit. Usually.

YiuKorochko
Org Profile

Post by YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 pm

TrinityDown wrote:FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.
As I feared, an Anime Music Video competition with poor audio support...has happened to me in college as well.
848? That's a really weird resolution...mod16 capable but strange...
Be good if they had someone with VLC on a Windows machine at the backend of the projector/thing...

exVanquish
Org Profile

Post by exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
TrinityDown wrote:FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.
As I feared, an Anime Music Video competition with poor audio support...has happened to me in college as well.
848? That's a really weird resolution...mod16 capable but strange...
Be good if they had someone with VLC on a Windows machine at the backend of the projector/thing...
I have an idea of how things will be done there, and most of the time people go with a different resolution, I think, I'm just used to it.

Oh, and I despise VLC :P
I don't edit. Usually.

YiuKorochko
Org Profile

Post by YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 pm

TrinityDown wrote:I despise VLC :P
What...?
Why?
Are you running any OS other than Windows? Because to tell you the truth that's understandable. VLC is very bad on other OSs. Otherwise there's nothing to 'despise' about it. Seriously, besides visuals for audio-only, it beats everything else out there.

I use it for two reasons:
Stream selection and advanced codec information
made by the creators of x264

mpclassic is too retro looking for me to like, and nothing else really compares.

exVanquish
Org Profile

Post by exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
What...?
Why?
Are you running any OS other than Windows? Because to tell you the truth that's understandable. VLC is very bad on other OSs. Otherwise there's nothing to 'despise' about it. Seriously, besides visuals for audio-only, it beats everything else out there.

mpclassic is too retro looking for me to like, and nothing else really compares.
When running on my windows system I use mpc and I'm mostly on my mac, on which I despise VLC. It carries over.

Either way, this isn't the place to discuss this :P
I don't edit. Usually.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Just sent my entry.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:45 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
What...?
Why?

VLC is only good if your PC is shit, as it can play HQ footage and alters the frame rate so the footage doesn't lag. MPC + CoreAVC is superior for general playback, even more so once the latest CoreAVC build comes out with 10bit support.

Return to “AMV Contests”