The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:10 am

VivifxAMV wrote:...Especially Business Time...I think I broke the replay button on Youtube.
Haha, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Speaking of meeting other editors, I wished I had the opportunity to meet more of them at the convention. Oddly, I didn't meet anyone outside of the Iron Editor and AMV Contest rooms that went to the AMV contest, haha...
irriadin wrote:There were a few videos that seemed out of place in Comedy. VeeBee's video seemed much more Upbeat than anything. I guess it was moved to Comedy because it probably had the funniest moment of any of the AMV's this year (that being the deer suplex... the build-up is just perfect.)
I personally thought few were out of place in general. I felt like the Squid Girl video was more comedy than upbeat and Addiction was more upbeat or drama than comedy.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Action also seemed to be a bit... dramatic this year. This is something I've been noticing at many cons lately. The "Dr-action" videos seem to be becoming more prevalent (my own at AB included). They were all great videos in Action, but one or two (VERSUS in particular) just really felt out of place.

While I'm on the subject of Action, can I just say how much I loved the Escaflowne (Kings Legend) video?
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:08 pm

kiarrens wrote:Action also seemed to be a bit... dramatic this year. This is something I've been noticing at many cons lately. The "Dr-action" videos seem to be becoming more prevalent (my own at AB included). They were all great videos in Action, but one or two (VERSUS in particular) just really felt out of place.

While I'm on the subject of Action, can I just say how much I loved the Escaflowne (Kings Legend) video?
The Escaflowne video was very good, I agree. It got me to buy the TV series right then and there at Otakon!

As far as the Dr-action thing goes... well, there's a lot of potential cross-over between Action and Drama videos. Particularly when the video is character driven. I personally feel more attachment and investment in "Dramaction" videos than say... a "various action" AMV with a ton of different series. It allows for more catharsis and isn't quite as much a case of "style over substance" as your typical action amv.

That's what I think, anyway.

Deemer
Org Profile

Post by Deemer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

kiarrens wrote:While I'm on the subject of Action, can I just say how much I loved the Escaflowne (Kings Legend) video?
yay, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that.
I dont care that I didnt win anything, I'm happy as long as you guys really enjoyed my video.

here is the link to my vid for all to enjoy.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=183378

anywho...
I had a blast at the AMV contest and iron editor(I was the guy in the Stein costume sitting more or less in the middle of the room during Iron Editor)
During the AMV contest, I was sitting next to someone who made some of my all time fav clips from the AMV Hell vids, and got to talking about my own clips in AMV Hell.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Deemer wrote:I had a blast at the AMV contest and iron editor(I was the guy in the Stein costume sitting more or less in the middle of the room during Iron Editor)
Huh, so that was you. I was sitting a few rows behind you. If I had known you made that, I would have told you in person how much I loved it! The action category for me was close, very very close, but in the end, I picked yours.
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 pm

jubjub2 wrote:Congrats to all the winners!

I was wondering if there is any feedback on the Kaleido Star/Big Bang video. It's my daughter's first Otakon, and I would love to let her read and understand how other editors view her work.
...!! I'll have to download it and rewatch to give any real feedback, as the whole contest was a blur due to nerves. I recall REALLY enjoying it, at the very least.

How old is she?? I started editing when I was 14 or so, and would have killed to have great resources available to me. Your daughter certainly has better taste in both audio and footage than I did... --><-- Shin Tenchi Muyo with BSB? Oh yeah, I don't miss being fourteen/just-turned-fifteen. Even if I am still kind of proud of the stupid thing, despite all its blaring, horrible flaws. Including that horrid video description. (Damn, now I want an AMV family! I'm prepared for a facepalm when I tell my husband this, hah.)

But seriously, to land the finals at your first Otakon? Awesome. Congrats. I wasn't able to do that at 21. :D
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

Lucia Studios
Org Profile

Post by Lucia Studios » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:10 pm

...So I didn't realize this thread was here until JUST NOW. Goes to show how often I check the forums here.

On a side note, it would have been nice to get an email alerting me that I was in finals instead of freaking out in front of a poor artists' table Saturday night when I was handed a ballot. :sweat: But that may be only for me, idk.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, and I'm so humbled to have been in competition with such freaking amazing creators. It's still so unreal.
kireblue wrote:
irriadin wrote:Unofficial list of the winners:

Trailer/Parody:

1st Place - Stupid AMV Title by Lucia Studios
I finally watched this video. I was really hoping to be the first person to use that audio in a AMV. Oh well. My idea is kinda similar, but I'm gonna go ahead and make my AMV anyway.
DO EET. DOOOO EEEEEET. :awesome:

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:58 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
VivifxAMV wrote:...Especially Business Time...I think I broke the replay button on Youtube.
Haha, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Seriously...It was stuck in my head all day. Pretty sure I went to both showings of the AMV contest so I could see it (as well as a few other videos) again on the big screen.
ImageImage

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Wish I was able to go to the con, it seems I missed out on a lot of mingling! Definitely going to check out the videos from the contest soon though.

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Honou_Miko wrote:
jubjub2 wrote:Congrats to all the winners!

I was wondering if there is any feedback on the Kaleido Star/Big Bang video. It's my daughter's first Otakon, and I would love to let her read and understand how other editors view her work.
...!! I'll have to download it and rewatch to give any real feedback, as the whole contest was a blur due to nerves. I recall REALLY enjoying it, at the very least.

How old is she?? I started editing when I was 14 or so, and would have killed to have great resources available to me. Your daughter certainly has better taste in both audio and footage than I did... --><-- Shin Tenchi Muyo with BSB? Oh yeah, I don't miss being fourteen/just-turned-fifteen. Even if I am still kind of proud of the stupid thing, despite all its blaring, horrible flaws. Including that horrid video description. (Damn, now I want an AMV family! I'm prepared for a facepalm when I tell my husband this, hah.)

But seriously, to land the finals at your first Otakon? Awesome. Congrats. I wasn't able to do that at 21. :D
She just turned 13, actually. :) She loved the fact that she made the finals and I didn't. I'm a very proud amv mom. :asd: Hopefully we will have it up on YT soon-ish. She's still a little young (in my overprotective opinion) for the org yet. And yeah, she also takes advantage of my ever-growing anime addiction collection. It's fun to watch different series with my kids and to watch them enjoy the same hobby. You should see us at conventions!

Return to “AMV Contests”