New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC Winners Here!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC Winners Here!

Postby exVanquish » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 am

The Finalists have been decided!

Action:
Say Denied by Mally and Nightbreak
Bending Inferno by RiderG
Written in the Spirals by Shin Runner Up
Yeah! Yeah! By Galia and Kitty
To the Future by Erin Nguyen BEST ACTION

Romance/Drama:
Dare to Love Again by Perfect-Blue BEST DRAMA/ROMANCE
Love on Video by Justin Force
Pas de Deux by VivifxAMV
Love Calc by Katzie
First Kiss by Glitzer Runner Up + BEST EDITING

Comedy:
Radio Hello by Porkychopop Runner Up
An Alchemist Named Sue by Nils Houghten
Anime Eats by Diana Ramon
Shinji Does (not) Mean Business by PixelBlended Studios BEST COMEDY + BEST IN SHOW
Forbidden Romance by uanime5

Fairy Tail:
Determine Your Truth by xDreww BEST FAIRY TAIL
Lucy is Mine by Niko Runner Up
Natsu Dragneel - The Warriors Code by Jiraiya the Ero Senin

Screenings:
Friday - 9:30 PM
Saturday - 5:15 PM
Sunday - 4:00 PM


You can catch the Rules here.

Rules are as usual every year, plus this year there is a Fairy Tail category due to the various Fairy Tail events and guests at the con this year. As well as this, there is the usual Action, Comedy and Drama/Romance/Sentimental categories.

Any questions just e-mail amvatnyaf@gmail.com or ask me here :)
Last edited by exVanquish on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby kireblue » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am

I kinda wanna watch fairy tale just so I can enter the fairy tale category, but I have too much stuff going on to catch up an that series. I'm about to start a new AMV for the Drama/ Romance category though. It would be awesome if I can make the finals for the third year in a row.
Image
MomoCon's 2014 AMV Contest will be accepting entries until Monday, April 28th, 2013
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby exVanquish » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 pm

kireblue wrote:I kinda wanna watch fairy tale just so I can enter the fairy tale category, but I have too much stuff going on to catch up an that series. I'm about to start a new AMV for the Drama/ Romance category though. It would be awesome if I can make the finals for the third year in a row.


It's always a joy seeing your vid there every year too. I, sadly, won't be entering this year even though I wish I could be a finalist for the third year in a row.
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby javywhite » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 pm

I'll definitely be joining this year for the first time ^o^ I'll also be attending. I plan to make a video for the Drama/Romance category or Action, haven't decided yet.
User avatar
javywhite
You belong in a museum
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Location: New York City, NY
Status: ngrfgt

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby xDreww2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Entering my fairy tail video this year. Can't wait for nyaf.
User avatar
xDreww2
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2010

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby Shin-AMV » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:52 pm

I've always wanted to work on a fairy tail amv, maybe this will get me motivated enough to do one.
Image
User avatar
Shin-AMV
 
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Status: Emo Poptart

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby TritioAFB » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

shit, I don't have something new :(
Might think about entering anyway
ImageImage
User avatar
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: Honduras
Status: Doctor

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 am

tehninjaness wrote:I've always wanted to work on a fairy tail amv, maybe this will get me motivated enough to do one.


Go for it. Now you have the motivation, now you just need to put in the effort. (Hardest part, least for me)
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 am

I've edited a video in 1920x1080. I have a these resolutions also:
640x360
960x540
1280x720
1440x810

Footage from Five Centimeters Per Second
23.976 Frames per Second
H264 (x264 encoded)

Audio from Pendulum's Watercolor
1080 version contains FLAC audio - this is a specific area of interest, can you support FLAC or shall I use MP3?
other versions contain various MP3 bit-rates but If I can I'd like to submit a FLAC encoded variant.

Length 5:04

The opening sequence during the song introduction/build-up has dialogue from the first episode, with the characters having a light conversation about cherry blossoms before one of the characters runs off.
The full video also has karaoke subtitles and a Japanese translation as I created the video with the intention of showing it to a few friends here and there, including Japan.
I was recommended to enter it in a competition, and was pointed to newyorkcomiccon.com.

TL;DR:
I can upload a 640x360 with any audio format, depending on what you support.
I spent a day on the timed karaoke subtitles. Leave them or remove them?
Dialogue: yes or no?

If these two last aspects are likely to hinder me, I may as well not bother as I'd have to re-edit the whole opening and recompress the whole thing.

I've tried to e-mail this to them as well, but it keeps saying the e-mail doesn't exist. I really just want some critique on it as I just had the idea out of nowhere then two days later it's done.
YiuKorochko
 
Joined: 02 Aug 2011

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby MetamorphosisStudios » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm so entering this 8-)
Image
User avatar
MetamorphosisStudios
 
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Location: 東京都大田区(出身は葛飾区)
Status: Editing

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:I've edited a video in 1920x1080. I have a these resolutions also:
640x360
960x540
1280x720
1440x810

Footage from Five Centimeters Per Second
23.976 Frames per Second
H264 (x264 encoded)

Audio from Pendulum's Watercolor
1080 version contains FLAC audio - this is a specific area of interest, can you support FLAC or shall I use MP3?
other versions contain various MP3 bit-rates but If I can I'd like to submit a FLAC encoded variant.

Length 5:04

The opening sequence during the song introduction/build-up has dialogue from the first episode, with the characters having a light conversation about cherry blossoms before one of the characters runs off.
The full video also has karaoke subtitles and a Japanese translation as I created the video with the intention of showing it to a few friends here and there, including Japan.
I was recommended to enter it in a competition, and was pointed to newyorkcomiccon.com.

TL;DR:
I can upload a 640x360 with any audio format, depending on what you support.
I spent a day on the timed karaoke subtitles. Leave them or remove them?
Dialogue: yes or no?

If these two last aspects are likely to hinder me, I may as well not bother as I'd have to re-edit the whole opening and recompress the whole thing.

I've tried to e-mail this to them as well, but it keeps saying the e-mail doesn't exist. I really just want some critique on it as I just had the idea out of nowhere then two days later it's done.


Dialogue is discouraged as it says, however, if it's needed in the video, and it's done right, it'll only improve your video. It's up to you.

Karaoke subtitles.. well, I'd probably remove them, but once again it's up to you, however I'd suggest you do so. They usually hinder videos in my experience.

If you need critique on a video, there are plenty of people that can give you it.

Video should be at least 480p.

MetamorphosisStudios wrote:I'm so entering this 8-)


Looking forward to it.

Edit: oh and email updated in the first post. It should be good now.
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:36 pm

TrinityDown wrote:Dialogue is discouraged as it says, however, if it's needed in the video, and it's done right, it'll only improve your video. It's up to you.

Karaoke subtitles.. well, I'd probably remove them, but once again it's up to you, however I'd suggest you do so. They usually hinder videos in my experience.

If you need critique on a video, there are plenty of people that can give you it.

Video should be at least 480p.


Alrighty, well the song Watercolor has quite a build-up and it just doesn't really work with this particular anime so the dialogue fills the gap a little.

Karaoke subs - fair enough, it's more of a specific fan-base area of expertise...should/can I have a watermark of my name also? IE: Yiu korochko. The subbed version has it purely for online distribution but if it corrupts the visual layout at all, I can take it away for this particular contest.

Would you mind having a quick look? :P

Technically speaking, 640x360 is 480p...:confused: 480p goes back to Standard Definition where 4:3 was king (640x480) and any 16:9 footage was fit into the picture with letterboxing. HD standards have flipped it, where 4:3 fits into the 720p and 1080p with pillarboxing. To be safe, I'll just upload the 1080p version. Do you know if they support the FLAC audio format?
YiuKorochko
 
Joined: 02 Aug 2011

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
Alrighty, well the song Watercolor has quite a build-up and it just doesn't really work with this particular anime so the dialogue fills the gap a little.

Karaoke subs - fair enough, it's more of a specific fan-base area of expertise...should/can I have a watermark of my name also? IE: Yiu korochko. The subbed version has it purely for online distribution but if it corrupts the visual layout at all, I can take it away for this particular contest.

Would you mind having a quick look? :P

Technically speaking, 640x360 is 480p...:confused: 480p goes back to Standard Definition where 4:3 was king (640x480) and any 16:9 footage was fit into the picture with letterboxing. HD standards have flipped it, where 4:3 fits into the 720p and 1080p with pillarboxing. To be safe, I'll just upload the 1080p version. Do you know if they support the FLAC audio format?


FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 pm

TrinityDown wrote:FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.

As I feared, an Anime Music Video competition with poor audio support...has happened to me in college as well.
848? That's a really weird resolution...mod16 capable but strange...
Be good if they had someone with VLC on a Windows machine at the backend of the projector/thing...
YiuKorochko
 
Joined: 02 Aug 2011

Re: New York Anime Fest AMV Contest @ NYCC

Postby exVanquish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

YiuKorochko wrote:
TrinityDown wrote:FLAC is a no go, most likely. Just stick to the basics. No watermarks at all, please. When I say 480 as 16:9, I mean 848x480. At least, for now. I'm not 100% how it'll be played back just yet.

As I feared, an Anime Music Video competition with poor audio support...has happened to me in college as well.
848? That's a really weird resolution...mod16 capable but strange...
Be good if they had someone with VLC on a Windows machine at the backend of the projector/thing...


I have an idea of how things will be done there, and most of the time people go with a different resolution, I think, I'm just used to it.

Oh, and I despise VLC :P
I don't edit. Usually.
User avatar
exVanquish
 
Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Status: Not thinking.

Next

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dvl-Jigen and 4 guests