About audience voting @cons

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kawatta-kun
Org Profile

About audience voting @cons

Post by Kawatta-kun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Don't know if right section.

Anyway, regarding, for example, Japan Expo 2011.
I have been always wondering how is it, the audicne voting. How is it, the procedure, mathods, timings with papers (?). Anyone can help me?
(And cause i haven't seen online, about the contest at the con)
Image Image

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: About audience voting @cons

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Well, at the conventions I've been to, the procedure is pretty much always the same. Each person is handed a ballot as the enter the room, they usually have to supply their own pen or pencil, though some cons provide them, too. Then at the end of the contest, they place their completed ballot in a box, usually held by a staffer or volunteer.

Once all the ballots have been placed in the box (or boxes, if you have more than one collection point), the coordinator takes a group of volunteers to a quiet place (usually the ops room or green room, since attendees won't be there) to count the votes.

EDIT: This belongs more in the Contests forum than the General Video forum, I've moved it there now.

Kawatta-kun
Org Profile

Post by Kawatta-kun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Wat kind of ballots? Containing wich type of info? ^^
Image Image

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Kawatta-kun wrote:Wat kind of ballots? Containing wich type of info? ^^
The ballots from Anime Expo this year had a list of each video in each category, so you can circle whichever you think is the beats of each category. They also had an extra space for whatever video you think deserves best in show. Hopefully that helps?

Kawatta-kun
Org Profile

Post by Kawatta-kun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Yes it does, anything like it does ^^ thank you!
Anything else you'de like to add would be awesome.

Which were the categories this year?
Image Image

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I experimented with text voting at Seishun Con. Just like in American idol, I had the codes that everyone needed to text projected on the screen after each category. I used this site to tally the votes http://www.polleverywhere.com/

The only problem that I ran into is that some people couldn't get signals. I had to allow them to walk up to the front and whisper their vote to me. Then I added their votes to the votes that the website recorded. I plan on fixing this problem by renting out a cell phone signal amplifier.

Kawatta-kun
Org Profile

Post by Kawatta-kun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 pm

^ prolly won't work on Europe (i'm from Portugal)? Will do some search at the website x)
Edit: yeah, even have to pay. But at least i could see how does it work somehow
Image Image

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 pm

There's also trouble with not that many people voting. They get out and forget (especially if it's on place that doesn't have signal at the time of the screening). If they have a paper extra, they will try to get rid of it ;D

Kawatta-kun
Org Profile

Post by Kawatta-kun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 pm

^ About it we can't do nothing much xD
But hey I had pretty much audience for it, at a "con" i did, just for AMV, one day only. Maybe at a certain con at my country it will work again. Also with paper.
Image Image

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 pm

I've seen all different kinds of ballots at con for audience voting. Sometimes the ballot will have all the info about a video, sometimes only small amounts of info such as the title, song, series, and an entry number. Usually when there is little info on the ballot the rest of the info is in the bumper before the vid on the screen. Sometimes you can circle the entry number, other times you use check boxes, other times you write the number of the entry in a box. Generally though, for my experience, ballots are always paper based. I have had a few experiences with audience voting via audience applause, but generally I wouldn't consider that to be a good idea simply because it's hard to really rate the differences in applause from video to video and accurately pick the loudest.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”