The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by irriadin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:00 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:The only persons whose business it is are the lawyers, VicBond's, and the editor of the video in question.
I was really curious as to which video it was, my interest is only peaked as to what type of thing gets a video disqualified. Perhaps I didn't explain very well.
I have no idea. There's two videos that I remember seeing that could have possibly been objectionable in some way, but I'm not going to speculate.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:The only persons whose business it is are the lawyers, VicBond's, and the editor of the video in question.
I was really curious as to which video it was, my interest is only peaked as to what type of thing gets a video disqualified. Perhaps I didn't explain very well.
At this point, as irriadin said, if it hasn't been resolved already, it's too late. It really depends on what exactly was 'objectionable' and what needed to be removed. If it was a whole video that needed to be stricken, I'm sure someone will figure out which one is mysteriously missing from the ballot, but if it was just one scene or something, then that can be easily altered and no one will notice/no one will know. Speculation is kind of useless here, and while I'm curious too, I wouldn't expect details.

In other news, I'd much rather speculate about who won that trivia contest (another thing we probably won't find out until the con.) :ying:
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:31 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
I was not really curious as to which video it was, my interest is only peaked as to what type of thing gets a video disqualified. Perhaps I didn't explain very well.
SORRY!!!! My failure to proof my post caused some confusion, I corrected it, lol...I was trying to say I was NOT curious as to which video it was, lol...leaving out the NOT kinda changes the meaning...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:53 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:SORRY!!!! My failure to proof my post caused some confusion, I corrected it, lol...I was trying to say I was NOT curious as to which video it was, lol...leaving out the NOT kinda changes the meaning...
Your avatar right now is more fitting than ever before. :wink: I am totally picturing meatwad reading your post.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:24 am

So here's what's happening, so I don't have to squash 3 day's worth of con-rumors on Sunday, and so we all can learn from the experience.
One of the entries used live-action footage from the original music video for the song that said creator used in their AMV. Said scenes were in the same places in the AMV, as they were be in the original video. Without going into the nitty gritty details, it could be argued that this would make the AMV a derivative copy and no longer an original work. It's kind of like if you took a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog, colored him differently, and said he was your own (inb4 SonicObamaBackpack.jpg). PERSONALLY, I still think the video is OK, but the legal case that COULD be brought against it IS valid, and at that point we'd probably get our asses handed to us because Atlantic Records can hire more expensive lawyers than us ^.^

I was notified about this on 7/21, and contacted the creator that day. It seemed like getting a "fixed" version would be possible, so we printed all of the ballots and planned to swap in the "legal" version of the video before the contest. now it appears that Real Life has gotten in the way and things don't look so good. Again, I've contacted the creator and if I don't get the entry well before the contest goes live, I am going to fill that slot with the next-highest-scoring romance video on the list. This option really kind of sucks for the new video since they won't be on the ballot (a four-figure mistake -_-) but votes for the "old" video will be counted for the "new" one, if that's even any consolation. I figure, if we've got the time, might as well add another entry, we've got enough of them!

As for the trivia contest, Davis51 won by a long bomb. I'll have your prize at the con, and I'll be e-mailing you the software separately since the installation procedure takes a little finesse and I'd like to write a little something up to help you out.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:01 am

As for the trivia contest, Davis51 won

|:> |:> |:>
by a long bomb
Honestly, I just really wanted that prize. :P

You said it used a non-standard pin layout. Do you know by any chance of a good place to purchase all the other types of cables? I ask since I'm probably going to need a bit more than S-Video.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 am

So, I how many people went to the Friday showing of the contest? I was looking around the AMV contestant seating area but didn't recognize anyone.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 am

I wanna see what the ballots looked like since we weren't actually given a list of the videos in the finals.

-Corsair-
Org Profile

Post by -Corsair- » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 am

Haha the showing yesterday went very well. Kire, your vid had the crowd going nuts xD

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:42 am

-Corsair- wrote:Haha the showing yesterday went very well. Kire, your vid had the crowd going nuts xD
really? the crowd went nuts for a sentimental video? OMG :awesome:

Return to “AMV Contests”