How to Encode MKV file into MOV without Subtitle?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
AsukaSLangley
Org Profile

How to Encode MKV file into MOV without Subtitle?

Post by AsukaSLangley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:52 am

Hi to all again,

Right now I am trying to figure out how to deal with a MKV file with subtitle. My main goal is to encode it to MOV in order to edit in APP CS5. The original file is a H.264/MKV with subtitle.

Which program to use to remove the subtitle and encode?
Shall I use a program only to remove subtitle? And then open it with Mpeg Streamclip to encode? Because I could not find a way to remove subtitles in Mpeg Streamclip.
Or shall I use Avidemux? Is there a way to remove the subtitles and encode it there?
MKVtools or MKVtoolnix?
ffmegX to encode?

Thanks in advance! Thank you.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Re: How to Encode MKV file into MOV without Subtitle?

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 am

When I want to remove subtitles from a MKV file I use MKVmergeGUI. Simply load file, deselect the subtitle parts and save it somewhere. All done.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

AsukaSLangley
Org Profile

Post by AsukaSLangley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:32 am

HalOfBorg wrote:When I want to remove subtitles from a MKV file I use MKVmergeGUI. Simply load file, deselect the subtitle parts and save it somewhere. All done.
HalofBorg, thank you. Yeah, when I Googled I have seen the MKVmergeGUI but I could not find it for Mac. Can you suggest a website to download it?

For the last half an hour I am trying two things;
1. I have opened the MKV with Avidemux. I have selected Video/Audio as Copy. I have opened it with Mpeg Streamclip and Save As Mov. All is well, no subtitle. Although I didn't change any configuration.
2. I have opened MKV with Avidemux. This time I have selected Huffyuv/Avi for Video. Now I am encoding it. After that I will try to open it with Mpeg Streamclip and Save As Mov.

I am trying these 2 versions because I am wondering which one will be without any quality loss. I know that Huffyuv is a lossless codec.

But when I choose Copy what exactly Avidemux makes? Does it copy the file with file's original codec/container? Or encodes it into AVI or so?

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 am

Sorry, no. Maybe it will run with one of the programs to let windows programs work on mac?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

AsukaSLangley
Org Profile

Post by AsukaSLangley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 am

HalOfBorg wrote:Sorry, no. Maybe it will run with one of the programs to let windows programs work on mac?
Yeah, I thought so.

Then, any ideas about my solution? Which one will provide lossless quality? Is there any difference between the two methods?
(Avidemux is still encoding the MKV into Huffyuv/AVI so I could not get the chance to compare the results yet.)

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 am

With mkvmerge GUI you get out only what was put into the MKV. The video itself is probably already in a compressed format (I think you mentioned H264). I take the clips I want to use and convert to FFV1, Ut or lagarith using VirtualDub or Xvid4PSP for editing purposes.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Mac Software”