The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Davis 51 wrote:Ah, that makes sense and kinda answers my question. I feel a little bad, as all it would have taken would be a checkbox to fix things on my end.

Would it be worth it for me to re-encode it myself from the masters with corrected levels and send it to you or is it really unnoticeable?
VicBond007 wrote:...but when you add effects and even fades to the video, the footage then dips into those "unusable" color ranges. So why not apply the same filter as you would to any RGB 0-255 video? Well, if you do that, then your effects will be in spec, but all of your footage is now crunched down to a range of 32-215, meaning that even on TVs it will look faded and bland, and now that some original color information is gone, you'll never get it back.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Ah I misunderstood. Kinda a bummer to know that the only way to *really* fix it will be to redo the ripping process, but at least I learned something.
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 am

In case anybody cares, my workflow of:

Rip --> DGIndex --> AVISynth (nothing special) --> Adobe Premiere Pro (using full 0-255 effects!) --> export to HuffYUV converting to YUY2 mode --> AVISynth (again, nothing special) --> TMPGEnc without that one box checked

has been confirmed to work fine as far as levels go.

I always used to use white mattes that weren't quite 255 when editing in Premiere, thanks to a well-meaning tip I'd received back when I started editing, but I noticed last year that this caused certain piixels to grow darker when fading them to white (because the footage itself did go all the way to RGB 255 by the time it was in Premiere) -- and as Vic pointed out to me last year, it still didn't stop my levels from being out of spec (because I was checking that box in TMPGEnc, as it's on by default in the normal Otaku Video con profile!).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

Davis 51 wrote:Ah I misunderstood. Kinda a bummer to know that the only way to *really* fix it will be to redo the ripping process, but at least I learned something.
You won't have to redo the ripping process, you will simply need to apply a levels filter to adjust the video footage levels to full 0-255. Doing it in the ripping process may avoid forcing you to do this, but it also will use more space for storing the footage. If you are working in After Effects, you can do this by telling AE to interpret the footage to the colorspace you assign for the project, this SHOULD change the levels.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:20 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:Ah I misunderstood. Kinda a bummer to know that the only way to *really* fix it will be to redo the ripping process, but at least I learned something.
You won't have to redo the ripping process, you will simply need to apply a levels filter to adjust the video footage levels to full 0-255. Doing it in the ripping process may avoid forcing you to do this, but it also will use more space for storing the footage. If you are working in After Effects, you can do this by telling AE to interpret the footage to the colorspace you assign for the project, this SHOULD change the levels.
I have plenty of hard drive space, but I get your point. Working in Vegas with UTVid rips, actually (don't quite have the hard drive power to edit directly with scripts.) I may play around with it a bit more when I get home from work.
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Davis 51 wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
I have plenty of hard drive space, but I get your point. Working in Vegas with UTVid rips, actually (don't quite have the hard drive power to edit directly with scripts.) I may play around with it a bit more when I get home from work.
It's honestly not worth re-doing. You're losing the very bottom of your fades, and the very tops of your white flashes. That's it. You'll never miss them. It's not like your Last Airbender video which had color effects up the wazoo for most of the video.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Otakon schedule is up on the Guidebook android app (also available here: http://m.guidebookapp.com/259/)

Relevant Events:

Friday July 29
  • AMV Contest - 7:00PM - 9:30PM (Video 1)
  • Friday Night Fan Parodies - 10:00PM - 1:00AM (Video 1)
Saturday July 30
  • AMV Contest - 3:00PM - 5:30PM (Video 1)
  • Iron Editor - 6:30PM - 9:30PM (Panel 1)
  • AMV 101: A Stepping Stone - 9:00PM - 10:00PM (Panel 4)
  • Saturday Night Fan Parodies - 10:00PM - 1:00AM (Video 1)
Sunday July 31
  • AMV Overflow - 9:00AM - 12:00PM (Video 1)
That's it, I think. It sucks that AMV 101 overlaps with Iron Editor.

snapxynith
Org Profile

Post by snapxynith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah, it kind of does. So l33tmeatwad and I will have to leave at 8:45 during Iron Editor to set up shop. With luck, we'll bring good things to the table.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:14 pm

snapxynith wrote:Yeah, it kind of does. So l33tmeatwad and I will have to leave at 8:45 during Iron Editor to set up shop. With luck, we'll bring good things to the table.
Corrected |:>
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

snapxynith
Org Profile

Post by snapxynith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 pm

The power of collaboration compels you!

Return to “AMV Contests”