Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

lloyd9988
Org Profile

~Closed~

Post by lloyd9988 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Closed

*Editors' Opinions: 2/2*
Last edited by lloyd9988 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Re: WIP: 1:1

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:38 pm

I shall preface by saying I have never made an action amv, and I have never seen Eureka 7.... Also my terminology for editing/film is not great.
Spoiler :
0:08 I feel the mecha should land sooner
0:09/0:10 not sure what but the motion seems wrong in the video, i don't know if its slowed down or a frame rate issue...
0:14 too long on a still frame
0:41 the action seems too remote
0:42 not a fan of the "shaky-cam" here,
0:55 I might rethink the collection of scenes after the eyes for better lyric sync (my inclination would be to continue with eyes, or go to something high-impact nightmarish like the weird shot of her in 1:04)
1:07 I don't know what I'm seeing... looks like giant book-shelves, they don't make sense until after one sees the girl with them in the background, so if you want to keep them, consider shuffling the order of those clips.
1:13 serious pixilation
1:27- 1:29 there's something about the strobe/ intersplicing here that doesn't seem quite right, but I can't put my finger on it.
1:39 frame blending
1:52 this explosion is so much less coloful than the shots preceding it :(
2:07 there is something jerky in the pan...
2:18 lip flap
2:28 I don't like the dip to black here, or i don't like the video returning for a single click.

There is macroblocking throughout, but i'm going to guess that is because you wanted to keep the file size down on this beta.
I like the video on the whole, it has a good flow, is well paced with the music, and has some beautiful synching....
This is an AMV we've (Warlike Swans is a duo) actually submitted to 2 cons, but I'm not sure if it really works for someone who hasn't seen the movie Windaria (Once Upon a Time): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV9SP9Oek4c

The movie is pretty esoteric now, so I'm assuming you haven't seen it. I mostly just want to know if you think the video has good enough narration for a general audience or if I should just leave it for the Windaria fans to find.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Re: WIP: 1:1

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

@ Warlike Swans:
Spoiler :
Narration is really good, I like it. Personally, I like the how easy it is for a viewer to understand who the king and queen are at the beginning and the story-telling where it starts off peaceful, but then begins a war. Yet, the transition between the two moods (Peace then War) may be hard to grasp the first time around if the viewer hasn't seen Windaria.

Now, the other hard thing that I had trouble grasping is the second couple... i.e. the prince and princess. I was more focused on the peasant couple than the royal couple so I had to watch it three times over in order to fully grasp the whole story, who was the prince and princess and why they were important to the story. I liked it the first time, but I couldn't follow the story completely, probably because I wasn't entirely focused on it. However, despite my failure to grasp the first time, I do feel that this could be used for a general audience because I did end up wanting to watch it again after the first time in order to understand it.

Thank you for your help, Warlike Swans and good luck!

P.S. I had no idea it was a duo XD

Return to “Works in Progress”