FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Re: FCP X

Post by Kira_Douji » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am

McDirty wrote:I used Kamoc's (one of my all time favs) and basically remastered using better quality video and cleaner audio. I'm not going to post the vid on the org since this vid is technically not mine. But for those interested in how the results from FCPX turned out, the vid can be found here (click the yellow download button on the bottom).
I had no idea what I was watching, but I watched it anyway and wow o_o creepy. But cool. I can see where some effects are going to become more widely used.

I finished putting mine up (my ISP has shotty upload, so it took ALL DAY to upload the HD version to my server grrr).

No Regrets. I think it turned out nicely. I just wanted to sort of stress test the program/system with 1080p. Result? I bought more RAM. 12GB seems to work well >>;
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I like the video. It's pretty good, I would announce it in the announcement forums actually. It's one of my fav Goo Goo Dolls songs. :) I definitely agree, the effects in fcpx are going to be more widely used by editors.
It looks like the 1080p footage in your video came out great. I am disappointed that rendering straight from fcp doesn't offer a lot of tweaking in terms of custom settings. In fact, there is no custom in fcpx :(

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 pm

McDirty wrote: I am disappointed that rendering straight from fcp doesn't offer a lot of tweaking in terms of custom settings. In fact, there is no custom in fcpx :(
Yeah, I can't say I expected much in the first place, though :P To get it down to a decent size, I had to use MPEG StreamClip, which, fortunately, was nothing difficult. I will say though that the actual encoding for the 1080p version is straight out of FCPX. All I did was rebox it into the .mp4 container.

Compressor still fails at life, however :rofl:
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

I know color correction isn't a relevant AMV topic, but I felt that I would post this article here for FCP users who do more than just make AMVs:
http://www.taoofcolor.com/510/final-cut ... ple-color/

As for my personal thoughts on the subject of color correcting in FCPX, it's a little mixed. Initially, Apple wanted to merge Apple Color with the Final Cut Pro interface without the need of using another app. FCPX as it stands right now is a lot more versatile in color correcting than it's predecessor FCP7, but less flexible and accurate than Color. I have no idea what Apple's plans are for Color Correcting apps, what do you guys think or know on the matter?
Personally, I was hoping Apple would expand more on it's Color application more and maybe they will in the future. But as of now, Color is no longer for purchase at the App Store, which makes me question whether or not they will release any more Color. If not, then I hope future versions of FCPX would have color grading tools that were just as powerful as Color's. I have to admit though, I certainly don't mind that FCPX is based on RGB whereas FCP7 was YUV.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Actually, I had to shift the color on a lot of my pics for "No Regrets" and I do hope they put some work into it. Up front, the controls are intuitive and useful... but the 'match' option, for example, needs to work on it's algorithm (it pretty much fails for animation) and the lack of copy/paste for color settings kind of drove me crazy more than once.
ImageImage

Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

Post by Bahamut God » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 am

Here comes an opinion from someone who hasn't used FCPX but knows people who have. (I've read a few reviews.) Also I didn't read though this thread yet because I'm tried and want to comment on FCPX since that is my new favorite pastime.

As a tool for professional editing. No, it is crap.

As a tool for AMVs, might be ok to pretty good. FCPX complaints mostly stem from a bunch of missing features that are only useful if you are outputting or digitizing from / to tape or need to create an EDL / OMF for an professional online edit or sound mixing. It's mostly built for digital distribution it seems. The interface is different enough there will be a learning curve if you are used to FCP 7, but from what I have read it may not be a bad AMV editor.

But I'm not dropping 300 plus add on dollars on it any time soon. My poor little dual 2.0 Ghz G6 won't run it so what the point?
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 am

I agree with the above, mostly. There is a steep learning curve coming from any other NLE out there (save for perhaps iMovie), but it's actually quite good for AMVs. It's also quite convenient for an independent filmmaker such as myself because it edits very smoothly and surprisingly quick with distribution formats such as h.264 shot with DSLRs. (which also eliminates quite a few steps in certain AMVs, I might add).

And not to converse about potential illegalities, but I've heard.."whispers" of folk who purchased it and then complained about how terrible it is/how it won't run on their systems and got a refund. However, there is apparently no way for Apple to remove the software from your computer after refunding, and there also appears to be no way for Apple to keep you from downloading your refunded piece of software on your allotted amount of computers. :shark:
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 pm

There are accounts on the FCPX facebook group saying that for non-commercial use, splitting the cost amongst friends is something something they've gotten the okay for, since you only need to log in to that account to download it in the first place.

YMMV
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Thought I post these here:

Just in case anyone hasn't disabled the background rendering or selected the 'use original or optimized media' feature yet. I totally forgot to do this at first and ended up with about 10 GB of useless cache :sweat:
http://support.cineform.com/entries/203 ... iderations

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/po ... tions.html

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Does this apply to things other than Cineform? (Considering where the source is from)
ImageImage

Return to “Mac Software”