Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
pink haze
Org Profile

Re: Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Post by pink haze » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:I guess Im being picky. I seem to be in the minority anyway, so dont mind me ;p
Don't back down, Hagaren! Your opinion is important! D< pink raaaage /not actually angry. I just wanted to say pink rage.

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Hehe, I agree with Haze! I appreciate the input, Hagaren! I'm a big fan of your work so thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot :D Everybody's allowed to have their own opinion, if everybody agreed life would get boring really fast!

Thanks Shin! I loved all of your entries in the AX competition this year. I think Mahou Shoujo Requiem was my favorite of your entries, even though they were all absolutely gorgeous!! (And I love your "Prelude to Dreams amv, def. one of my favs!!)

:awesome:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:25 am

There is a lot of really great editing here, but I think the theme was lost on me.

I've read Death Note, seen Origins, and a season and a half of Hell Girl, but I can't judge an AMV based on themes I know to be present in the series, but on what I actually see in the AMV.

The lyrics of the song that seemed to be visually reinforced were "kill," "fire/burn," and "hurricane." I didn't see the conflict that I gather you were going for from what you've said; the "would you" in the "would you kill?"

I also didn't like the use of Death Note, but for me it wasn't the modernity, but the dry art style that seemed to prevent it's cohesion (and truthfully it was really just the sequence of Death Note starting with the pen-scratching that I felt failed to meld.)

The song is dramatic, and I think your scene selection and editing really built the intensity, but I would have liked to have been presented with context within the AMV.

... And I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to say it if Hagaren Viper hadn't first

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 am

pink haze wrote:Don't back down, Hagaren! Your opinion is important! D< pink raaaage /not actually angry. I just wanted to say pink rage.
Spoiler :

:shark:
soaringsalad wrote:Hehe, I agree with Haze! I appreciate the input, Hagaren! I'm a big fan of your work so thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot :D Everybody's allowed to have their own opinion, if everybody agreed life would get boring really fast!
You're welcome! Congrats for making the finals, by the way, it was cool to see on the big screen.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 am

Hagaren Viper wrote:I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

Half of the anime used [Hell Girl, Kill Bill and Kurozuka] have a kind of feudal Japan feel to them [if thats the word Im looking for], which at least visually have similar themes. But then Death Note comes in, with it's modern cities and, er, penmanship, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.
This.
Warlike Swans wrote: I also didn't like the use of Death Note, but for me it wasn't the modernity, but the dry art style that seemed to prevent it's cohesion (and truthfully it was really just the sequence of Death Note starting with the pen-scratching that I felt failed to meld.)
And this.

Let's start by saying that I have never seen any of the animes used. Minus about 5 episodes of Death Note. So I DO know the method Light uses to kill people.

The AMV had a very...uh...death like theme to begin with, not so much killing people but more of the "dark" approach, you know with the arrows and um..the skulls at 1:10, that kinda thing coupled with some dark abstract. But then suddenly you see Light and his pen at 3:10 and it's just kinda like " :?: HUH? :?: why a pen? And why are people dying?" For the majority of viewers who have seen Death Note, they'll understand why it was used but for those who haven't, the pen comes off as being very unusual and confusing. Also his idea of um "killing" doesn't match with the other sources since they all had some purpose or other goal to why they were doing it but with Light, all it did was give me the impression he was a psycho thinking he was "God" and then going around killing people.

For me I felt like you captured the mood pretty well, it was dramatic and kept me watching for all 6 minutes.(let's just say my attention span is very poor :uhoh:) Also I thought the whole thing flowed very nicely together and your concept was portrayed quite clearly(minus the DN part). So yeah, it was a nice watch! Good job! :up:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 pm

You already know what I thought of Hurricane :P

Now for "The Promise"....

First off, the black bars on the top and bottom are a no-no. You want to have them when submitting to contests, but make sure they're gone when you release the final product.

Now, when you chose to take on this song...you chose a pretty massive monster to fight since quite a few people associate it with:

(I know I do >.>;;)
In addition to the song choice, just about any Shinkai movie is known for being so overused to the point where most can see it in their sleep x_X

To put it simply...ambitious choices were ambitious.

Sadly, the video didn't do it for me. You've got a beautiful song that almost creates a feeling of flowing water moving through you, so you expect nice movement to match it. Yet immediately there are scenes that are completely still or have very little/incredibly slow movement.

The overlays probably weren't the best choices either. The one at 0:59 is almost funny with how fast it's in and out. When it comes to syncing with all the little noises and goodies that you used the overlays for, it may have been a better idea to do something a bit more simple. Syncing with actual movement or lighting/coloring effects...nothing flashy of course, but just something simple and moving.

Once the song kicks in, the overlays become a bit more bearable but still look really out of place. And the footage still isn't connecting properly to the beautiful flow that the music is projecting.

The cookie cutter effects you did when the beat kicks in even harder weren't a bad idea but they needed to move a lot smoother and be blended better.

But by the end of the video, your editing slows back down again and you just kinda show the end of the movie. Nothing too much more than that :(

Ambitious choices but sadly, you just couldn't seem to pull it off.

I look forward to your future videos :)

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for the input Yue!

Yeah, like all of my amvs I made for the AX contest this year, there are lot of rough edges. I only had about 3 weeks to get my stuff together before the deadline (I didn't think I was going to be able to go to the con this year so I wasn't going to enter), and usually I like to put things away for about a month so I can come back later and see all the flaws that I couldn't fix when I was too wrapped up in the first edit.

It's interesting how different people hear completely different things in music, I think I was much more focused on the bassline in my editing than on the smoother top voices in the music. I guess I'm pretty new to Shinkai's work so I haven't seen it overused so much. I agree completely that a lot of things need to be smoother, a lot of that is just messing with some of the kinks in the amv, but some of the other things that you said were more to do with concept. The first half of the amv (before the song picks up) was made deliberately more stagnant (and I even emphasized that by dulling out the colors). I also agree that some of the overlay in the first half might be necessary (but at :59 specifically that was there to accent that strange little noise that occurs there, so to me that one is justified :P). But yeah, the first half is supposed to be a stark contrast to the second half where the music picks up (and the colors exploddeee-or at least their supposed to). The second half definately needs some more work on the transitions and how to best go about getting the effect I wanted...Because I'm perfectly willing to say that after the first "epic" moment of the sunlight breaking through it kind of deteriorates from my original vision. The amv is supposed to be somewhat narrative (why the end shows up at the end...) but I've never been perfectly happy with the ending either. I know this needs some serious re-working, and I put it up because I'm really just sick of looking at it and I want to move on to other projects. Sometime in the future I might revamp it so thanks for the input, definitely will give me a lot to ponder in the next few months while I try and gain the motivation to fix it :)

(Oh and the black borders...when I didn't have them the image got stretched vertically and it looked terrible....I'm clearly missing something in the rendering, but I don't know what that may be)

Thanks for the link too, I've actually never seen another amv to that song, so I didn't now one existed :P I don't really think it's fair to compare them though since the first half of the song in that one gets used for credits- but it was a seriously cool piece of work, so thanks! :awesome:

-hugs-

Heather

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”