Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Postby TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:22 pm

This went up a few days ago, but I realized I forgot to announce it. In case anybody is interested here is my Hurricane AMV that premiered in the contest at Anime Expo 2011!

Thanks!! :D

Since I don't want to flood this board with another post I'll just stick this here as well. One of my other entries for the contest is also up now, this one didn't make the contest, but I thought I'd share anyways. Enjoy :D

P.S sorry for the super cheesy banners...I haven't got particularly good at making them yet. hehe.

-hugs!!-
TrufflePigStudios

Re: Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Postby Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:05 pm

omg hurricane was sooo good. i seriously had a difficult time voting in the drama category.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks so much Rider :D I was so honored just to be a finalist next to the other videos in the category (well in the whole competition really)- they were all so amazing!! I loved your video in the action category as well. (And your DBZ -"Son of Man amv that I was able to catch at Nic's event!!)
It was great getting to meet you at AX this year! Your work is amazing and I've been a fan of yours for a while! You're also so supportive of other amv creators and I really admire that! Thanks again!!
TrufflePigStudios

Postby Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:20 pm

dawwwwwwwww hug <3 i kinda feel like the forum mama

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby Hagaren Viper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm

I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

Half of the anime used [Hell Girl, Kill Bill and Kurozuka] have a kind of feudal Japan feel to them [if thats the word Im looking for], which at least visually have similar themes. But then Death Note comes in, with it's modern cities and, er, penmanship, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

You could also group Hell Girl and Death Note together with it's themes of judgement, but if that's the case than the other footage doesn't fit well.

And then there is Origin..I honestly don't know much about the movie, but it's fantasy scenes didn't mesh with any of the other scenes at all >>

Overall this was a good video and it had a really strong ending, but I wish that the selection of anime could have been a bit different to bring it together more.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby pink haze » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

Half of the anime used [Hell Girl, Kill Bill and Kurozuka] have a kind of feudal Japan feel to them [if thats the word Im looking for], which at least visually have similar themes. But then Death Note comes in, with it's modern cities and, er, penmanship, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

You could also group Hell Girl and Death Note together with it's themes of judgement, but if that's the case than the other footage doesn't fit well.

And then there is Origin..I honestly don't know much about the movie, but it's fantasy scenes didn't mesh with any of the other scenes at all >>

Overall this was a good video and it had a really strong ending, but I wish that the selection of anime could have been a bit different to bring it together more.

Gonna have to disagree with ya a bit, Hagaren. There was plenty of Hell Girl footage that took place in modern times to balance the Death Note. The Kill Bill footage was in a modern setting, though it carried the 'feudal feel' (especially if you've seen the movie). And I've never watched Kurozuka but it looked like that guy was fighting a swat team with machine guns at one point. o.O I didn't pick it apart while watching the amv, but my gut feeling was that it all connected.

Except the Origin footage, ya... I did wonder a bit about how it was supposed to fit in (since, well, the other anime all have a strong focus on DEATH, and it doesn't). I assumed it was there to show someone making a deal with an ancient, mysterious and perhaps malevolent force, similar to what Death Note and Hell Girl are all about. Only in that case the character was granted the power to fight (and kill if necessary) in order to protect people. So it was a more positive take on the song's moral dilemma.

Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but that's honestly what I thought watching it. :uhoh: I can see how other people would want a more obvious connection between the anime, especially if they haven't seen them before. Although admittedly the only anime in there I'm particularly familiar with is Death Note. I forgot everything about Origin, I fast-forwarded through that scene in Kill Bill and I dropped Hell Girl after the first few episodes.

Spoiler :
Thanks for the PM btw, soaringsalad =D

Actually, a friend of mine was thinking about making a various amv with this song a while back, so we spent some time analyzing it and trying to figure out what it was really about. So it was cool seeing what you did with the lyrics when I'd already given them a lot of thought. =D Especially the Hell Girl segments, they really hold the whole thing together if you know the series.

It's funny, my sisters and I had to walk a long way back to our car after the contest and we spent the time talking about your video the most. We all had differing opinions~~ My big sister loved it's theme, and my little sister didn't get it so we were all explaining it to her. ^_^
pink haze

Postby TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Rider4Z wrote:dawwwwwwwww hug <3 i kinda feel like the forum mama

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ghNiL8zHStU/Sw1rYbhxfNI/AAAAAAAAACs/VPPowcSsDvs/s1600/virtual%2520hug.jpg

Awwwwww!!! Cute kittiess!!! Thank-youuuu!!! :D -hugs-
TrufflePigStudios

Postby TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm

pink haze wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

Thanks for the input Hagaren, it's appreciated :) I'm a big fan of your work, so you taking the time to give an opinion means a lot, thanks!!

Except the Origin footage, ya... I did wonder a bit about how it was supposed to fit in (since, well, the other anime all have a strong focus on DEATH, and it doesn't). I assumed it was there to show someone making a deal with an ancient, mysterious and perhaps malevolent force, similar to what Death Note and Hell Girl are all about. Only in that case the character was granted the power to fight (and kill if necessary) in order to protect people. So it was a more positive take on the song's moral dilemma.

Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but that's honestly what I thought watching it. :uhoh: I can see how other people would want a more obvious connection between the anime, especially if they haven't seen them before. Although admittedly the only anime in there I'm particularly familiar with is Death Note. I forgot everything about Origin, I fast-forwarded through that scene in Kill Bill and I dropped Hell Girl after the first few episodes.

Hi Pink Haze :D You're right, they were all kind of connected (at least in my mind). There was the aspect of death, but there was also the ongoing theme of acquisition of power to achieve your goals and the inevitable consequences of attaining that power. I thought Origin fit in because of what the main character had to give up in order to gain the power to save Toola. All the animes in the amv featured characters who had to make that kind of a choice. I guess Origin’s was a little more positive than the others though, you’re right about that, haha.

Spoiler :
The amv featured animes with characters who all had to make a kind of a choice in order to gain the power to fight for what they believe. In Death Note Light gives up his life and his innocence to follow the path that he thinks is right and is eventually corrupted by his own power. Kurozuka, the main character gives up his mortality to protect the woman he loves for eternity. Hell Girl features many characters giving up their souls for vengeance because they believe its right. O-ren Ishi-i also gives up her innocence for vengeance. And in Origin Agito gives up his humanity in order to save Toola. Some of the decisions made by the characters end more tragically than others, but there is the common thread that I saw to piece these together. I can see how it would seem random though.

Spoiler :
Aww, thanks so much for the support Haze! I’m really glad your whole family enjoyed the amv, and your little sister sounds adorable :D That's awesome that you were thinking about the same song, I'd be super curious to see what you came up with! I'm sure that its completely different and totally fantastic!! :D The second I heard the song for the first time I knew I wanted to make an amv to it, but it took me a while to try and find the right stuff to put in it. I really wish I had more time before the AX deadline, because there was a lot of little details I wanted to fix in this amv, but oh well, haha. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope to see much more work from you, your editing is magnificent and you're very kind. Thank-you!! <3 Heather

:nose:
~Heather
TrufflePigStudios

Postby Shin-AMV » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I liked it :) Good job.
Shin-AMV

Postby Hagaren Viper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:33 pm

pink haze wrote:Gonna have to disagree with ya a bit, Hagaren. There was plenty of Hell Girl footage that took place in modern times to balance the Death Note. The Kill Bill footage was in a modern setting, though it carried the 'feudal feel' (especially if you've seen the movie). And I've never watched Kurozuka but it looked like that guy was fighting a swat team with machine guns at one point. o.O I didn't pick it apart while watching the amv, but my gut feeling was that it all connected.

Just to be clear, I did notice the modern Hell Girl scenes, and I actually thought the whole swat team bit and Kurozuka were two different anime until I looked at the list here :sweat:

I guess I can say I didnt enjoy the modern Hell Girl scenes as much either, but the other half of it worked quite well for me. I can see the theme connecting all of the anime together, but I guess Im being picky. I seem to be in the minority anyway, so dont mind me ;p
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby pink haze » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:I guess Im being picky. I seem to be in the minority anyway, so dont mind me ;p

Don't back down, Hagaren! Your opinion is important! D< pink raaaage /not actually angry. I just wanted to say pink rage.
pink haze

Postby TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Hehe, I agree with Haze! I appreciate the input, Hagaren! I'm a big fan of your work so thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot :D Everybody's allowed to have their own opinion, if everybody agreed life would get boring really fast!

Thanks Shin! I loved all of your entries in the AX competition this year. I think Mahou Shoujo Requiem was my favorite of your entries, even though they were all absolutely gorgeous!! (And I love your "Prelude to Dreams amv, def. one of my favs!!)

:awesome:
TrufflePigStudios

Postby Warlike Swans » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:25 am

There is a lot of really great editing here, but I think the theme was lost on me.

I've read Death Note, seen Origins, and a season and a half of Hell Girl, but I can't judge an AMV based on themes I know to be present in the series, but on what I actually see in the AMV.

The lyrics of the song that seemed to be visually reinforced were "kill," "fire/burn," and "hurricane." I didn't see the conflict that I gather you were going for from what you've said; the "would you" in the "would you kill?"

I also didn't like the use of Death Note, but for me it wasn't the modernity, but the dry art style that seemed to prevent it's cohesion (and truthfully it was really just the sequence of Death Note starting with the pen-scratching that I felt failed to meld.)

The song is dramatic, and I think your scene selection and editing really built the intensity, but I would have liked to have been presented with context within the AMV.

... And I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to say it if Hagaren Viper hadn't first
Warlike Swans

Postby Hagaren Viper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 am

pink haze wrote:Don't back down, Hagaren! Your opinion is important! D< pink raaaage /not actually angry. I just wanted to say pink rage.

Spoiler :

:shark:

soaringsalad wrote:Hehe, I agree with Haze! I appreciate the input, Hagaren! I'm a big fan of your work so thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot :D Everybody's allowed to have their own opinion, if everybody agreed life would get boring really fast!

You're welcome! Congrats for making the finals, by the way, it was cool to see on the big screen.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby AimoAio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 am

This.
Warlike Swans wrote:I also didn't like the use of Death Note, but for me it wasn't the modernity, but the dry art style that seemed to prevent it's cohesion (and truthfully it was really just the sequence of Death Note starting with the pen-scratching that I felt failed to meld.)

And this.

Let's start by saying that I have never seen any of the animes used. Minus about 5 episodes of Death Note. So I DO know the method Light uses to kill people.

The AMV had a very...uh...death like theme to begin with, not so much killing people but more of the "dark" approach, you know with the arrows and um..the skulls at 1:10, that kinda thing coupled with some dark abstract. But then suddenly you see Light and his pen at 3:10 and it's just kinda like " :?: HUH? :?: why a pen? And why are people dying?" For the majority of viewers who have seen Death Note, they'll understand why it was used but for those who haven't, the pen comes off as being very unusual and confusing. Also his idea of um "killing" doesn't match with the other sources since they all had some purpose or other goal to why they were doing it but with Light, all it did was give me the impression he was a psycho thinking he was "God" and then going around killing people.

For me I felt like you captured the mood pretty well, it was dramatic and kept me watching for all 6 minutes.(let's just say my attention span is very poor :uhoh:) Also I thought the whole thing flowed very nicely together and your concept was portrayed quite clearly(minus the DN part). So yeah, it was a nice watch! Good job! :up:
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy

Next

Return to AMV Announcements