Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:22 pm

This went up a few days ago, but I realized I forgot to announce it. In case anybody is interested here is my Hurricane AMV that premiered in the contest at Anime Expo 2011!

Thanks!! :D

Since I don't want to flood this board with another post I'll just stick this here as well. One of my other entries for the contest is also up now, this one didn't make the contest, but I thought I'd share anyways. Enjoy :D

P.S sorry for the super cheesy banners...I haven't got particularly good at making them yet. hehe.

-hugs!!-

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Hurricane- AX 2011 Drama Finalist

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:05 pm

omg hurricane was sooo good. i seriously had a difficult time voting in the drama category.

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks so much Rider :D I was so honored just to be a finalist next to the other videos in the category (well in the whole competition really)- they were all so amazing!! I loved your video in the action category as well. (And your DBZ -"Son of Man amv that I was able to catch at Nic's event!!)
It was great getting to meet you at AX this year! Your work is amazing and I've been a fan of yours for a while! You're also so supportive of other amv creators and I really admire that! Thanks again!!

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:20 pm

dawwwwwwwww hug <3 i kinda feel like the forum mama

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm

I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

Half of the anime used [Hell Girl, Kill Bill and Kurozuka] have a kind of feudal Japan feel to them [if thats the word Im looking for], which at least visually have similar themes. But then Death Note comes in, with it's modern cities and, er, penmanship, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

You could also group Hell Girl and Death Note together with it's themes of judgement, but if that's the case than the other footage doesn't fit well.

And then there is Origin..I honestly don't know much about the movie, but it's fantasy scenes didn't mesh with any of the other scenes at all >>

Overall this was a good video and it had a really strong ending, but I wish that the selection of anime could have been a bit different to bring it together more.

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

Half of the anime used [Hell Girl, Kill Bill and Kurozuka] have a kind of feudal Japan feel to them [if thats the word Im looking for], which at least visually have similar themes. But then Death Note comes in, with it's modern cities and, er, penmanship, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

You could also group Hell Girl and Death Note together with it's themes of judgement, but if that's the case than the other footage doesn't fit well.

And then there is Origin..I honestly don't know much about the movie, but it's fantasy scenes didn't mesh with any of the other scenes at all >>

Overall this was a good video and it had a really strong ending, but I wish that the selection of anime could have been a bit different to bring it together more.
Gonna have to disagree with ya a bit, Hagaren. There was plenty of Hell Girl footage that took place in modern times to balance the Death Note. The Kill Bill footage was in a modern setting, though it carried the 'feudal feel' (especially if you've seen the movie). And I've never watched Kurozuka but it looked like that guy was fighting a swat team with machine guns at one point. o.O I didn't pick it apart while watching the amv, but my gut feeling was that it all connected.

Except the Origin footage, ya... I did wonder a bit about how it was supposed to fit in (since, well, the other anime all have a strong focus on DEATH, and it doesn't). I assumed it was there to show someone making a deal with an ancient, mysterious and perhaps malevolent force, similar to what Death Note and Hell Girl are all about. Only in that case the character was granted the power to fight (and kill if necessary) in order to protect people. So it was a more positive take on the song's moral dilemma.

Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but that's honestly what I thought watching it. :uhoh: I can see how other people would want a more obvious connection between the anime, especially if they haven't seen them before. Although admittedly the only anime in there I'm particularly familiar with is Death Note. I forgot everything about Origin, I fast-forwarded through that scene in Kill Bill and I dropped Hell Girl after the first few episodes.
Spoiler :
Thanks for the PM btw, soaringsalad =D

Actually, a friend of mine was thinking about making a various amv with this song a while back, so we spent some time analyzing it and trying to figure out what it was really about. So it was cool seeing what you did with the lyrics when I'd already given them a lot of thought. =D Especially the Hell Girl segments, they really hold the whole thing together if you know the series.

It's funny, my sisters and I had to walk a long way back to our car after the contest and we spent the time talking about your video the most. We all had differing opinions~~ My big sister loved it's theme, and my little sister didn't get it so we were all explaining it to her. ^_^

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Rider4Z wrote:dawwwwwwwww hug <3 i kinda feel like the forum mama

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ghNiL8zHStU/S ... 520hug.jpg

Awwwwww!!! Cute kittiess!!! Thank-youuuu!!! :D -hugs-

TrufflePigStudios
Org Profile

Post by TrufflePigStudios » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm

pink haze wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:I thought this video was very well edited, but it needed a tighter focus.

While Death Note definitely fits the song, it doesn't fit with the rest of the footage.

Thanks for the input Hagaren, it's appreciated :) I'm a big fan of your work, so you taking the time to give an opinion means a lot, thanks!!

Except the Origin footage, ya... I did wonder a bit about how it was supposed to fit in (since, well, the other anime all have a strong focus on DEATH, and it doesn't). I assumed it was there to show someone making a deal with an ancient, mysterious and perhaps malevolent force, similar to what Death Note and Hell Girl are all about. Only in that case the character was granted the power to fight (and kill if necessary) in order to protect people. So it was a more positive take on the song's moral dilemma.

Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but that's honestly what I thought watching it. :uhoh: I can see how other people would want a more obvious connection between the anime, especially if they haven't seen them before. Although admittedly the only anime in there I'm particularly familiar with is Death Note. I forgot everything about Origin, I fast-forwarded through that scene in Kill Bill and I dropped Hell Girl after the first few episodes.
Hi Pink Haze :D You're right, they were all kind of connected (at least in my mind). There was the aspect of death, but there was also the ongoing theme of acquisition of power to achieve your goals and the inevitable consequences of attaining that power. I thought Origin fit in because of what the main character had to give up in order to gain the power to save Toola. All the animes in the amv featured characters who had to make that kind of a choice. I guess Origin’s was a little more positive than the others though, you’re right about that, haha.
Spoiler :
The amv featured animes with characters who all had to make a kind of a choice in order to gain the power to fight for what they believe. In Death Note Light gives up his life and his innocence to follow the path that he thinks is right and is eventually corrupted by his own power. Kurozuka, the main character gives up his mortality to protect the woman he loves for eternity. Hell Girl features many characters giving up their souls for vengeance because they believe its right. O-ren Ishi-i also gives up her innocence for vengeance. And in Origin Agito gives up his humanity in order to save Toola. Some of the decisions made by the characters end more tragically than others, but there is the common thread that I saw to piece these together. I can see how it would seem random though.
Spoiler :
Aww, thanks so much for the support Haze! I’m really glad your whole family enjoyed the amv, and your little sister sounds adorable :D That's awesome that you were thinking about the same song, I'd be super curious to see what you came up with! I'm sure that its completely different and totally fantastic!! :D The second I heard the song for the first time I knew I wanted to make an amv to it, but it took me a while to try and find the right stuff to put in it. I really wish I had more time before the AX deadline, because there was a lot of little details I wanted to fix in this amv, but oh well, haha. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope to see much more work from you, your editing is magnificent and you're very kind. Thank-you!! <3 Heather

:nose:
~Heather

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I liked it :) Good job.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:33 pm

pink haze wrote: Gonna have to disagree with ya a bit, Hagaren. There was plenty of Hell Girl footage that took place in modern times to balance the Death Note. The Kill Bill footage was in a modern setting, though it carried the 'feudal feel' (especially if you've seen the movie). And I've never watched Kurozuka but it looked like that guy was fighting a swat team with machine guns at one point. o.O I didn't pick it apart while watching the amv, but my gut feeling was that it all connected.
Just to be clear, I did notice the modern Hell Girl scenes, and I actually thought the whole swat team bit and Kurozuka were two different anime until I looked at the list here :sweat:

I guess I can say I didnt enjoy the modern Hell Girl scenes as much either, but the other half of it worked quite well for me. I can see the theme connecting all of the anime together, but I guess Im being picky. I seem to be in the minority anyway, so dont mind me ;p

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”