Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Squancho
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

Post by Squancho » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 pm

I think too much thought is being put into this.
You should have heard the debate behind the scenes over "Give It All."
I told those who initiated it there wasn't all that they were reading into it.
The con chair and board agreed and so did the viewers.

Light, in this case, didn't want to be part of this "relationship" with L and fought him throughout the entire video until the very end where he resolved the issue.
It was a very well put together video.
Maybe the concept is kinda played out (thanks largely to fanfic) but this video's technical / artistic merits and the way it stuck to the story made it solid.
There was also more comedic value and conflict than romance.

No one can say what people will find funny from one year to the next but no one is gonna vote on something they feel "uncomfortable" with.
The laughter was certainly genuine, as I myself found more amusement with it with each viewing.
I'll admit I didn't care much for it in the beginning in terms of concept (and I abstained from scoring any video for the preliminary screening) but it grew on me.
Bottom line: the viewers made their choice.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:I think too much thought is being put into this.
You should have heard the debate behind the scenes over "Give It All."
I told those who initiated it there wasn't all that they were reading into it.
The con chair and board agreed and so did the viewers.
Im suddenly very interested XD

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
Light, in this case, didn't want to be part of this "relationship" with L and fought him throughout the entire video until the very end where he resolved the issue.
It was a very well put together video.
Maybe the concept is kinda played out (thanks largely to fanfic) but this video's technical / artistic merits and the way it stuck to the story made it solid.
There was also more comedic value and conflict than romance.
1: I'm not disparaging the video.
2: What is funny if it has so much comedic value?
3: Think about it. Are you really suggesting that only mutual love can fall under the romance category?
(honestly though I have little opinion as to whether this video should be categorized as romance, drama or upbeat)
Deuce Loosely wrote: No one can say what people will find funny from one year to the next but no one is gonna vote on something they feel "uncomfortable" with.
The laughter was certainly genuine, as I myself found more amusement with it with each viewing.
I'll admit I didn't care much for it in the beginning in terms of concept (and I abstained from scoring any video for the preliminary screening) but it grew on me.
Bottom line: the viewers made their choice.
No one can say what people will find funny because often times people don't know themselves what they will find funny or why. I never said the laughter wasn't genuine. I certainly never meant to imply that people were aware that they were laughing because they are consciously rendered nervous by homosexuality. Laughter would be a poor defensive mechanism if people remained conscious of their underlying fears.

I don't care what people voted for. I am allowed to be disturbed by what other people find funny if I see a disturbing underlying social problem.

I'm sorry for coming off so contentiously. I feel like I should fix what I wrote before posting it... but I can't bring myself to.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

Warlike Swans wrote:I don't care what people voted for. I am allowed to be disturbed by what other people find funny if I see a disturbing underlying social problem.

I'm sorry for coming off so contentiously. I feel like I should fix what I wrote before posting it... but I can't bring myself to.
i'll try to be careful with my words cuz i don't want to offend you. i don't think people are laughing at the homosexuality aspect of it. if it was intended to be a serious video then i guarantee the audience wouldn't laugh. but because it was in the comedy category they knew that it wasn't to be taken seriously. it was funny because there is no yaoi in the actual Death Note anime. but the faces L makes at Light (with no romantic intentions in mind) are a perfect set up to be exploited.

i found it funny simply because it's L and Light, and a romantic relationship between those two is completely ridiculous. (except for in fan fiction obviously.)

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

So often in this discussion it almost seems as if people are discussing my "Lost Episode" video. Change the names and I'd never know. :)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 am

I'm not that easily offended.

I still don't buy that the Light x L pairing is funny for more than a moment of surprise. I don't think the video was edited to be funny... I don't know the story of the category switch, but the video wasn't initially entered to comedy.

Comedy is kind of weird because things that aren't funny in reality can be funny in fiction. In Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei stalking is funny because there is a huge chain of stalkers, and that's just absurd. I didn't find the stalking in this video funny because it's just stalking, which is creepy. (I also didn't find the violence funny because it's realistic violence.)

I admit that I could be interpreting people's reactions incorrectly, but at the gut level I FEEL I'm right and will probably continue to feel disturbed even if someone can give me a reason for humor that I find intellectually plausible.

On a totally different note: HalofBorg your Lost Episode is hilarious <3 .

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 am

:) Thanks!
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm

That could very well be the reason I disliked that video...
Something about it just didn't sit with me. It was well edited but it was just something about it...
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”