Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

Post by SammySamaProductions » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

I'd take ke$ha over Taylor swift any day.
ImageImage
ImageImage

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 am

HalOfBorg wrote:Regarding the laughing at the Annoying videos - I thought they were supposed to be annoying, as in torturous, painful to watch. Don't funny videos belong in the comedy section?

Or are Funny/Annoying ones better?
Well, to be honest, when I was making Red Ring of Epic Zoom I wasn't intending it to be taken so comedically (with the exception of the xbox gag, which I meant as a reprieve). Not that I mind that it was. I honestly thought people would be squirming in their seats after the first minute. I showed this to several people (mostly my family :ying: ) and got an almost universal response of "Please turn it off". Not that that actually answers your question; but there are plenty of things out there that are annoyingly funny.
ImageImage

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Annoying, like comedy and just about everything is relative I guess. What makes me furious in moments makes someone else giggle I guess.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Brakus wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote: COMEDY
98 (48) MysteriousRyder - "Death Romance" - BEST IN SHOW

* Note to MR: How do you feel about your decision to change categories now? :P
To MysteriousRyder: Be prepared, becase your video is going to be just like the controversy with Nightowl Studios' "Love Is Flowers" from about 10 years ago.

I liked your video, but to me it's not a comedy. (And just because a video has yaoi content doesn't automatically mean that it's a comedy. When will people ever realize that?) If your video truly is a drama video, then it should ideally compete in the category that you intended it to compete in. Of course we can't control whether the coordinator will allow it to compete in the intended category, or if others in pre-judging believe that it should be in a different category.
Having finally seen the video I have to say I'm kinda disturbed by anyone who found this funny. I was expecting something that was primarily romance and had aspects of comedy.... but this wasn't even vaguely comedic.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Brakus wrote:I liked your video, but to me it's not a comedy. (And just because a video has yaoi content doesn't automatically mean that it's a comedy. When will people ever realize that?)
i'm kinda jumping in outta the blue here but can you really call this a yaoi vid? Light and L aren't really a couple and everyone knows it. that's what makes it ironic and therefore funny.
Warlike Swans wrote:Having finally seen the video I have to say I'm kinda disturbed by anyone who found this funny. I was expecting something that was primarily romance and had aspects of comedy.... but this wasn't even vaguely comedic.
the atmosphere of a live audience is much different than viewing at home. and when you're surrounded by people with such a high energy your view of a video can subconsciously change one way or another. i found it quite entertaining at fanime and ax, and so did the rest of the crowd.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

I've studied social psych, I have a reasonable comprehension of group dynamics... I have to say though I'm even more distrubed if alot of people found this funny.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

I've studied social psych, I have a reasonable comprehension of group dynamics... I have to say though I'm even more distrubed if alot of people found this funny.
:beer: cheers

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Rider4Z wrote: :beer: cheers
:beer: to entertaining AMVs!

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

'Disturbed' is a weird word to use here. I agree that it wasn't really a comedy video, but I can see why people would vote for it regardless.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote: 'Disturbed' is a weird word to use here. I agree that it wasn't really a comedy video, but I can see why people would vote for it regardless.
I'm not disturbed that people like the video, I'm disturbed that they found it funny.

It seems to me that people were laughing off something that they are uncomfortable with; a homosexual couple. (I don't think the surprise of Light x L is enough to keep people laughing for 5 minutes.) I don't know whether the people voted for it in comedy because it was their favorite video grouped in comedy or because they found it the funniest (since it won best in show by a large margin, it could just be the former).... But if a lot of people were laughing it means a lot of them are uncomfortable with homosexuality, and that's disturbing.

Return to “AMV Contests”