How important is the soundtrack to you?

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

How important is the soundtrack to you?

Post by Chaos Angel » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:16 am

I was just wondering how people feel about the soundtrack of a series. How important is it to you? Me, I can be greatly affected by a good soundtrack. The right music at the right moment, combined with good storytelling, just hits me hard. Not just music either, but the use of sound itself. From the dead quiet in the final scene of Cowboy Bebop, save for Spike's footsteps, to the chaotic maelstrom of voices in End of Evangelion.

Good music and good use of sound can make certain scenes hit the viewer in the gut, while inappropriate usage can really hurt what is supposed to be a dramatic scene (Two examples of this. In Eva, the scene where Misato and Kaji are talking after they have been drinking all evening, I think the music in that scene is too damn intrusive. I really feel it should have been quieter and more subdued. Also, in Blue Submarine No. 6, I hated the jazz music in some of the fight scenes. It just felt out of place and unnecessary to me.)

I'll end my spiel here, but I'm curious what the rest of you have to say about a series' or a movie's soundtrack. How much does it affect you?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:31 am

Music is very important. Maybe it's because I am a girl, but when music is getting beautiful and sad or I see someone on screen crying...it gets to me. So I think it's just as important as anything visual.

Changing or taking out music of a scene is as bad as changing what you see. And editing an anime's music to fit an audience is even worse because it not only changes the feel, but the meaning and can be as damaging as changing dialogue. That's something several dubs are guilty of doing.

Since we are amv makers, we would probably appreciate the music of a scene in a different way than most fans. We look at it in a more critical way. Especially since when we make a music video we literally have to match up feelings as much, if not more than, timing. It's almost more about the music.
One reason why I hate "clip show" type amvs. :?

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:34 am

funny you should mention the final scene in Cowboy Bebop. I was just watching it. you are right..i love that scene.

one more thing *makes gun shape with hand* BANG
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:56 am

MistyCaldwell wrote:Maybe it's because I am a girl, but when music is getting beautiful and sad or I see someone on screen crying...it gets to me.
-Hey! I'm a guy, and it gets to me too. It's not just girls who are affected by emotional music and scenes, it's just that most guys would never admit to it.

Me, I'm listening to Sarah Brightman as I type this. And I cried during FF7, dammit!!

:wink:

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:03 am

Music is very important to me.

The three things that matter to me in an anime are
Story (which includes the characters themselves)
Music
Art/Animation

In that order

Some of the best musical moments for me...
(Just off the top of my head)

1) Yoko Kanno's piano piece when Guld and Isamu were fighting outside the hospital.

2) The song "Call Me" composed by Yoko Kanno that was used at the end of Episode 24 of Cowboy Bebop

3) Also from Cowboy Bebop... the music that concluded Episode 13, which I believe was called Space Lion... but I'd have to go back and check the title.

4) The use of Ray Charles at the end of Metropolis... what a great use of music...

5) The use of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" throughout ep 24 of Evangelion

6) The performance of Country Roads in "Whispers of the Heart"

7) The song that plays while Kiki is looking at the painting in "Kiki's Delivery Service"

8) The music that plays when Makoto "shares" his memories with Ifurita in the last episode of the El Hazard OAV

9) In "Magnetic Rose" the first part of the movie "Memories", they play the final aria from Madam Butterfly when the two men first enter the structure they find. You already know just how bad things are going to get because they find their way in and descend while the crescendo (sp?) of the Aria plays at that moment... I had chills...

10) Aeris' theme in Final Fantasy VII. I know this a video game and not an anime... but I actually was emotionally involved with the story of FF VII because of the music.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:15 am

Oh, hell yeah. FF7's soundtrack sucked me in and never let me go.

Which series is number 1 (Guld and Isamu) from?

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:31 am

Just a note: I have seen bad music ruin a good series, but i've never seen good music save a bad series.

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:44 am

Guld and Isamu are from Macross Plus.

There is a 4 Epsisode OAV and a Movie

While I think you should see both... my preferred way of showing the series is show eps 1 - 3 of the OAV and the last 30 mins or so of the movie. The last part of the movie has all the footage from the 4th ep of the OAV plus about 10+ more mins of footage! There are also a lot of scenes I felt were missing from ep 4 in the OAV that were all there in the movie!

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:18 am

K, thanks.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:41 am

Music... ahhhh. *Peaceful expression* I like music. Music can be such an amazing factor it's uncanny. A part can be extremely sad and (yeah I'll be honest) there are tears in my eyes, just waiting. But then the music kicks in full force and it's the catalyst for all emotions.

There was a death in an anime (not saying which one or who because someone spoiled an anime for me doing that!!) and the 'reality' of it didn't kick in until the music did. They were lying there in silence, the whole room making no noise whatsoever. I'm staring wide-eyed at the screen, not quite yet believing. The music kicks in dramatically and it was finalized. They were really gone. I had to pause it and restart it later that night because I just couldn't grasp anything beyond that. May sound like I'm exaggerating or just a wuss but I'm totally serious.

Soooo... on a lighter note. Has anyone heard the soundtrack for Berserk? It's the most amazing soundtrack I've ever heard!

And Sarah Brightman has an amazing voice. Second only to Maire and Eithne (sp?) Brennan. Well maybe some others but still...

And Final Fantasy VI was the first game soundtrack that really made an impact on me. Some of it was so beautiful and enchanting. Mainly the enchanting part though.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “General Anime”