Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:50 am

Holy shiiiit...

Only 5 videos per category looks like pretty fierce competition. I can't imagine how insane future AX contests will be like.. :shock:

Glad to see both of the people I'm proxying for made it in and ummm... someone else.

*whistles* :ying:

Best of luck to all the contestants!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:52 am

Looking over some of the entries, it looks like comedy/fun videos (in almost all categories) we're heavily favored.

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 am

Kazemon15 wrote:I...don't mean to sound naggy or anything, but didn't the rules state that the categories would be shorten from 7 to 6, not 7 to 5?
The rules don't state how many finalists from each category there will be. (I just went back and re-read it several times and even did word searches for finalist (appears 1 time) and Final (which appears 3)

However, Back in January I did state in a separate post that we were reducing the number of finalists from 7 to 6 to make room for the new category. I apologize for not remembering that i had set it it 6 not 5. Not sure how I got it in my head it was 5. I will go back to the tally sheets and pull up the number 6's from each category.

Thank you for catching that
-DP

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 am

Well shit, I actually thought I had a chance this year. Oh well, congratz to all those that got in! :D

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:06 am

DigitalPanther wrote: “Dial ‘D’ For Dominus” by Solomon Smith
While it's a really neat video
Official AX Rules wrote: A parody video is a video in which editing has been used to create something other then a music video, and the music involved acts only as a soundtrack or background element. Videos of this nature can look like music videos, such as Commercials, Trailers, opening/closing themes to TV shows, and more, but they focus on subjects other then the music and video relationship. Videos found to be edited in this format and not submitted to the “Fun” category will either not be accepted into the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest or be re-categorized and moved into the “Fun” category at the discretion of the Special Judges in consultation with the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest Directors. Any decisions by this body to re-categorize a video in this manner are final and not guaranteed. So if you want so submit a parody or original concept video to the contest, we strongly suggest you submit it to the “Fun” category. That’s what it is there for.
I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.

Not cool guys. :?

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Looking over some of the entries, it looks like comedy/fun videos (in almost all categories) we're heavily favored.
Thats weird, because Drama is favored around here..

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Drama
:ying:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 am

DigitalPanther wrote: I will go back to the tally sheets and pull up the number 6's from each category.

Thank you for catching that
-DP
There's still hope everyone!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am

I kinda want to see the "“Incepolis” by Lolilicious Designs" entry also since that could also easily be in violation of the same rule.

Just sayin' guys >.>

Follow your own rules :P

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

Radical_Yue wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote: “Dial ‘D’ For Dominus” by Solomon Smith
While it's a really neat video
Official AX Rules wrote: A parody video is a video in which editing has been used to create something other then a music video, and the music involved acts only as a soundtrack or background element. Videos of this nature can look like music videos, such as Commercials, Trailers, opening/closing themes to TV shows, and more, but they focus on subjects other then the music and video relationship. Videos found to be edited in this format and not submitted to the “Fun” category will either not be accepted into the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest or be re-categorized and moved into the “Fun” category at the discretion of the Special Judges in consultation with the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest Directors. Any decisions by this body to re-categorize a video in this manner are final and not guaranteed. So if you want so submit a parody or original concept video to the contest, we strongly suggest you submit it to the “Fun” category. That’s what it is there for.
I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.

Not cool guys. :?
Agreed.

I watched this video and yes it does exhibit a good amount of work as far as FX work, but it reminded me alot of Suberunker's video in the sense that it has a noir atomosphere and seems to use music as more of a soundtrack rather than a direct link to the video. Both videos have some loose beat sync but other than that that, the Big O video seems like an alternate opening/promotion for Big O. This only makes me concerned with the fact that great videos have been DQ'ed in the past because of this very rule and it seems that the AX staff has begun to disregard it own rules. I'd like to see the coordinators either take that rule out of the contest or adhere to it, but please don't continue to advocate a set of rules only to break them yourselves.

On other topics, grats to all of the finalists and go Castor, how long of an AX drought has this snapped and now you get 2 finalists?!

Return to “AMV Contests”