Glitchy Pixels?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Glitchy Pixels?

Post by OtakuGray » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:57 pm

I used makemkv to make my chobits BD into an mkv...

This is my script:

Code: Select all

FFvideosource("C:\Users\Otakugray\Downloads\Desktop\ANIME\BD\Chobits_Disc_1\title00.mkv")
Spline16Resize(720,480)
I know I probably shouldn't downscale but this kind of thing has never happened before...
For some reason ...THIS keeps happening to my footage:

I have perfect footage, however. When watching the mkv, it works fine and these weird pixel issues don't appear or come up...

Is it ffvideosource? My codecs? Whats the deal? :|
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Glitchy Pixels?

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm

looks like a decoding error.

RajinIII
Org Profile

Post by RajinIII » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:06 am

Yeah man that used to happen to me. Does yours fluctuate or is it constant through the whole video? Mine seemed to go in and out (only appeared a few times throughout an AMV) I got no solution though, I gave up. Best of luck!
"Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose."--Rick Warren

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:17 am

RajinIII wrote:Yeah man that used to happen to me. Does yours fluctuate or is it constant through the whole video? Mine seemed to go in and out (only appeared a few times throughout an AMV) I got no solution though, I gave up. Best of luck!
After some fiddling around, I figured out that it does it in the same areas, but only if I scan through using virtualdub. If I just use the preview, it works fine and without those little bugs.
I am compressing a lossless encode, and hopefully it looks decent enough. I'll post screenshots of the output when it's done.
Pwolf wrote:looks like a decoding error.
The only thing I could find on that was this.

I tried updating my plugin, but it didn't help. I'm not sure if my file is corrupted, but MakeMKV has been pretty good so far at making MKVs. Also, I could play the file fine and It didn't have any errors...so I don't think its the file's fault.
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 am

Just as I thought, after encoding and compressing...the clips came out fine.

Proof:

I'm still not sure what the issue was exactly, but It doesn't seem to be that problematic. My clips came out just fine and I can edit Chobits now :awesome:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 am

That looks overfiltered, hey. >_>
Also, why spline16 instead of spline36? Downscaling isn't an issue here, the chobits BD is an upscale from 480p, so you're doing it right, don't worry, but you're still oversharpening it. :(
Anyway, the issue was likely open-gop. Basically, the I-frames in the Blu-ray aren't strictly flushing the buffer, so when the decoder hits an I frame that isn't K in the stream while playing the stream in "normal order", it knows that and keeps the buffer so if frames past the I-frame reference the things before it, it goes fine. However, if you try skimming around, you'll get those blocking artifacts because the decoder doesn't exactly work perfectly with open-gop yet for non-sequential decoding. That's about it, I guess.

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:26 am

mirkosp wrote:That looks overfiltered, hey. >_>
Oh no D: I'll try checking my script again :uhoh:
mirkosp wrote:Also, why spline16 instead of spline36?
I'm not sure if I even have spline36 in my plugins...which makes NO sense LOL I'll see if I can get that one to work.
mirkosp wrote:you're doing it right, don't worry
YAY I GOT IT RIGHT FOR ONCE.

mirkosp wrote:Anyway, the issue was likely open-gop. Basically, the I-frames in the Blu-ray aren't strictly flushing the buffer, so when the decoder hits an I frame that isn't K in the stream while playing the stream in "normal order", it knows that and keeps the buffer so if frames past the I-frame reference the things before it, it goes fine. However, if you try skimming around, you'll get those blocking artifacts because the decoder doesn't exactly work perfectly with open-gop yet for non-sequential decoding. That's about it, I guess.
While I didn't grasp everything you said, that still helps me a lot. Thanks a bunch, Mirko. :)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 am

Spline36resize is an internal filter anyway, so you don't really need to be looking for a plugin nor anything. :P

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Hence it making no sense xD I tried it and it worked...so I'll be using it from now on. Thanks again mirko :)

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 am

Why are you talking about downscaling when it's upscaled?

Re your error, if you decode linearly it won't happen. It's because of how AVC gets recycled sometimes, remuxing a BD doesn't help the way stuff is addressed and non-linear decoding or seeking causes frame referencing to break. I believe the issue is mostly fixed though, at least with Haali, but if you really want you can change the way FFMS2 is reading it. This is not an Open GOP issue as far as I am aware however, that error looks a bit different, and you won't really find it on any Japanese BD's I can think of.

Return to “AviSynth Help”