mkv help

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

mkv help

Post by ShatteredFlame » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm

I haven't edited in years and haven't been up to date with how to encode so as I'm just getting back into this hobby, everything now looks foreign to me. What is the best way to approach editing with h264 codec mkvs? I know I shouldn't but in this case the show I'm using isn't released on DVD atm so it's really the best I can do. Before I would use bait and switch with fake AVIS but right now I'm thinking of just simply editing with lossless footage....

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: mkv help

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm

FFVideoSource on the MKV, load the .avs in VirtualDub, make lossless clips (or just the whole ep if you prefer/can afford it) using UTVideo YUV420 as the codec (predict median setting).

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks. I have never used UTVideo, how is the video size for say a 15 minute episode? Oh and I also want to compress the audio.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm

15 minutes 720p 23.976fps would be roughly 5 GBs, I'd say. We're talking somewhat bigger than lagarith but somewhat smaller than huffyuv. What really is nice is that it is ridiculously fast at decoding, so it's perfect for editing purposes.
Compressing audio... uhm... if you don't have to do anything to it, I'd say you should avoid recompressing the audio. If you do, then I guess you can just load both audio and video together by using FFCopyrightInfringement (not trolling, this function really exists and comes with the amvapp) and then normalizing it and saving it as a wav from virtualdub.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:38 am

Yo, what happens if my virtualdub for some reason doesn't have that "add to job control" button? Is there a way to get it somehow?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 am

In Virtualdub it's "File" > "Queue batch operation" > "Save as AVI..." to add to the job control.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the help! So I know this probably isn't typically your area but you don't happen to know of any good youtube downloading sites/programs? Cause I can't find these videos elsewhere :oops:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Man u trollin. :|

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 pm

It's unsigned DIY music videos, it's the best they can do. But nah it's cool, I don't think I need them for now anyway.

Return to “AviSynth Help”