Problems while editing MP4?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Cyrix
Org Profile

Problems while editing MP4?

Post by Cyrix » Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 pm

This isn't actually AMV related but uses the same tools and is hopefully is a quick question. I'm trying to edit a short video out of an h264 MP4 using Premiere Pro 2.0.

Premiere won't read the MP4 file extension, but if I rename the file as an AVI it will load in Premiere and work correctly - except that every few seconds the video degrades and does that swimming colors thing for a few seconds. However, if I load the video as an AVIsynth script, there are no quality problems, but the video skips severely during scrubbing and playback, particularly when I edit it in any way. It doesn't (usually) skip when I export it, but it's so screwy in Premiere I can't really edit it.

Is there anything I can do to get it to play reliably without having to re-encode the source file?

Cyrix
Org Profile

Re: Problems while editing MP4?

Post by Cyrix » Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Also, any time I edit off of ANYTHING but a DV-AVI, Premiere will randomly lose the ability to play audio for every clip in the project, and I'll have to offline and re-connect them all. Anyone else have this problem/know a solution?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 am

convert the source to something editable (aka lossless, like huffyuv/lagarith/utvideo). same with the audio (convert to wav).

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 am

Drat, I don't even nearly have the hard drive space for that. I really need to get a 1TB...

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Hard drives are cheap :P

Return to “Adobe Software”