Any ideas to replace flashing to beats?

Sayoria
Org Profile

Any ideas to replace flashing to beats?

Post by Sayoria » Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 am

I am not very..... heavy with editing, but I would like to try and change that atleast somewhat. I have realized that my latest video, I got alot of just...... "flash" effects going on, to the beat of the song. I personally cannot think of a replacement idea for the flash effect. I would like to use one, but I cannot even begin to think about what would be a good replacement. My video is more or less trying to go the story route, but I want the beats to be recognized at the same time. The video's story is pretty much done, but now, the flashes are lined up, and I just cannot think of a simple idea to replace them, but not stand out overly well like white flashes do.

I plan to keep some, but others are just placeholders that really need to go. Way, way too many of them. Any ideas here?

For an idea, I have, from 28.18 seconds, to 1:07..... 147 flashes to the beats. Lot of time, lot of flashes.

Edit: Actually, I will probably only need 15 or so seconds to replace. The flashes work well in the second half of that.
My old Youtube Channel has been removed. Kindly review here for videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmhp2 ... gpjU0cMCuA

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Re: Any ideas to replace flashing to beats?

Post by AimoAio » Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Hardcuts/scene changes to the beat instead? You should try and get a beta tester to look at it so they can give you more detailed feedback on what to change. ;)

Sayoria
Org Profile

Post by Sayoria » Tue May 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Well, I have done that for some parts already. The thing is, the part that this is happening to, there are already 5 short clips in the first 15 seconds. I would love to ignore these beats to be honest, but the beats stand out too much at the beginning, I have to do SOMETHING with them.

Actually, I will get a clip of my spot. I will have a beta tester person after it is done for the most part, but he doesn't do as much AMVs as I do, and since he has never seen the show, and I am hoping he does, I want the whole thing to be pretty fresh when he DOES see it, so you know.... I can get the criticism straight on for what he thinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6magf7N7Lhs

It is going to be a romance video despite how it opens, so yeah, it doesn't need to be overly flashy, but the idea of why I need something going on there should be seen. Flashes get old fast. I was thinking of keeping them from :15 on though..... possibly.

The reason I cannot add changes to the clips to the beat is because up to where the music gets a bit more intense, I have to let it known that this event happened with the character. There is already little time to place him at there he is, so much seems rushed if I don't. I have even went to the point of adding a prologue to the video before this starts.
My old Youtube Channel has been removed. Kindly review here for videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmhp2 ... gpjU0cMCuA

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

Effects shouldn't be added for the sake of it or they will seem very out of place. They should be used to emphasize or accentuate the idea you're trying to put forth in your editing, not cover up a lack of actual editing. Try to determine why you cut where you cut and what your scene placement is meant to convey. Your choice of effect work should flow from there.

This advice is not valid if you're attempting to be experimental in your work - but if that were the case you'd actually be experimenting and not asking for non-specific advice here.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Personally if that test vid is what you have currently have so far, I think it'll do waaaay better with those flashes. Just remove them completely because from what I see, the scenes are good enough on their own and when editing, it's not always necessary to sync to every single beat. Though a suggestion for you is to maybe add a little camera movement if you feel the scenes are feeling too static.

Ijexis
Org Profile

Post by Ijexis » Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 pm

AimoAio wrote:Personally if that test vid is what you have currently have so far, I think it'll do waaaay better with those flashes. Just remove them completely because from what I see, the scenes are good enough on their own and when editing, it's not always necessary to sync to every single beat. Though a suggestion for you is to maybe add a little camera movement if you feel the scenes are feeling too static.
Pretty much what he said, all those flashes are not necessary and just become tiresome after awhile. The video stands well enough by itself and I could get the sense of the tension picking up through the music and paying attention to just the scene alone. Having the object impact with the character at the exact moment the music picked up worked more for you than any of those flashing beats did. There is no sense of simply using flashes or effects to sync to every beat especially if it's the exact same type of effect, it becomes tiresome for the audience and makes them not want to sit through it because it's a tad bit annoying. But that depends on the song, I would understand if it was a techno/electronica song, but even then it would not warrant such over extensive use of the white flashes all the time throughout. You should allow your footage to help tell the story for you also.

Re-watching your video again, I would say get rid of the white flashes all together, they simply get in the way. Maybe a quick, slight prolonged flash for when the music picks up to get the weight of the impact carried through but other than that, the rest are not really needed. But that's merely my opinion.

AnimeCutieGirl
Org Profile

Post by AnimeCutieGirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 pm

I notice that I tend to use flashes a bit too often to the beat of the music as well. But if you look at this MEP a studio of I'm in held; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6crP1_2SsPY
The first part starting from about 0:08 a beat picks up and basically instead of flashes its pan/crop movement! zooming out from a different clip each time :) I also find that cookie cutter circles appearing and disappearing to the beat of the song works well also. Hope I helped!
- AnimeCutieGirl

hackedhacker
Org Profile

Post by hackedhacker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:19 am

for beats, I think if you really want to throw something in, try to switch through a different clip using a fast fade transition, unless its techno, this is what I would use for romance/slow music, I know this will make you redo ur video :) so I think zoom/pan/crop isn't such a bad Idea maybe motion blur ?

Return to “Effects & Techniques”