Org App

Begi
Org Profile

Org App

Post by Begi » Sun May 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Crazy idea but I figured I minus well throw it out there. How about an application for Androids and Iphones?

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Org App

Post by Niotex » Thu May 19, 2011 12:00 am

What would said app do exactly?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 19, 2011 10:08 am

Basic "Search" ability and to stream available videos that are available for preview would be pretty wicked. Essentially you can just load videos onto the phone itself, but the ability to pull up almost any vid from the org with a simple app would be kick-ass.
Always sucks when you're in the mood for a video or want to show a certain vid to someone else and it isn't on youtube :<

I know I'd use it.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 am

probably nothing I'll actually finish, mostly just screwing around with the SDK to get familiar with it and some old code I used to get video information. if someone with more knowledge about how the streaming is implemented wants to contact me (and willing to help), i'll try and get that working if it's even possible. Can non-members watch streams yet or are we still blocking that? basically without an API to access the org's data, i have to rely on HTTP requests which are a bitch to parse. I can try allowing people to log in but sounds like more work then i'm willing to put in.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 am

Would be easier if we could just charge an app (however I'm sure with all the legalities involved that would be a big no no) since it would help with funding for the org :<

Non-members can't watch streams, Matt curses about having to log-in every time he wants to preview a video :P

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri May 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Would be easier if we could just charge an app (however I'm sure with all the legalities involved that would be a big no no) since it would help with funding for the org :<

Non-members can't watch streams, Matt curses about having to log-in every time he wants to preview a video :P
He's not logged in permanently? :>

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Would be easier if we could just charge an app (however I'm sure with all the legalities involved that would be a big no no) since it would help with funding for the org :<

you let him watch videos?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:

He's not logged in permanently? :>

Ahahahahaha

Pwolf wrote:

you let him watch videos?
I know I shouldn't...but sometimes he looks up at me with that sad fancy face and I just gotta D:

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Anyway, i think the best I could do as far as actually putting something together would be to allow people to search the database and look at video information. Don't really know how useful that would be for people if that's ALL you could do. Granted, i guess if you were t a con and talking to people about videos, you could pull up the org info.

I just tested some code that would let me download from local but i don't think downloading the local copy is a good idea... 1) its usually pretty large so it will eat up data usage and 2) file formats and encoding aren't uniform so there is no guarantee there will be decent playback (or playback at all) once you've used all that data to download the video. I think it would be more beneficial if i could just stream the preview version. Which probably isn't going to happen unless someone who knows the streaming code is willing to help *cough* eric *cough* tim *cough* sorry, getting over a cold.

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Sun May 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Pwolf wrote: I think it would be more beneficial if i could just stream the preview version. Which probably isn't going to happen unless someone who knows the streaming code is willing to help *cough* eric *cough* tim *cough* sorry, getting over a cold.
That. But of course, it would probably be a members only thing.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”