HELP!! needed in removing Interlace!!!

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
htt91
Org Profile

Re: HELP!! needed in removing Interlace!!!

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:11 am

Mister Hatt wrote:By the way, if this wasn't immediately obvious, unless you are using the VOB and IFO files directly, you won't be able to deinterlace it properly at all. Just FYI in case you were stupid and downloaded an MKV rip.
True enough before I downloaded my first thoughts were that it would have been filtered off...guess I was wrong x_x

So no way to cure this on mkv because I think I can get the vobs too?but it would be a painful task....
Mister Hatt wrote:Stop using MeGUI, it is terrible and will only make you do the wrong thing. If all you had to tweak top/bottom or field order, then you're obviously doing it wrong as those don't need tweaking. The sample is useless if it is a second generation encode, upload a direct cut from the original VOB files. You don't need to even think about filtering yet. Filtering is what you do after your source is in a manageable form, which is what deinterlacing or IVTC is for. You need to make it progressive and cut any garbage data out and reset it to a 1:1 PAR before even THINKING about filtering, with very few exceptions where you'd filter beforehand, none of which I think you would need. 99% of the time, new DVDs don't even need filtering other than slight AA even, so you most likely don't even need to bother once it's progressive.
Which encoding software do you recommend and any links to it and its tutorial?
What script is needed for the second part of your answer for vob files?I actually have no experience of using avisynth of vob files so please help.Sorry for asking allnooy questions here on this forum

btw any recommendations on the Smoothing and Sharpening i asked before?i will redo it from scratch on the vob files if i can manage a single script...

Thanks for all the help ^_^

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am

btw this is what a friend said after seeing the Itazura Screenshots and script

1)Use HB to encode a lossless video to preserve all quality
2)Encode Normally
3)Your final screenshot sucks.
4)Use ffms2, don't use Lanczos,
-use removegrain(1) instead of Undot(), although I suggest you remove it all together in that script.
5)Deen before sharpening
6)Your mkv is already YV12 I suppose, remove that convertoyv12() line.

Another thing, the encode output with HB is stretched out vertically, it looks fine beside that and the halos.
Finally, WHY THE HECK DID YOU UPSCALE !!!

So how much do you agree or disagree with him...I tried lossless conversion too btw as fate would have it megui couldn't even pick it up it crashed at the 2 Gb source video lol so waiting for your suggestion on the next encoding software to try

...and I can live without upscaling just testing beginners luck there :P

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 am

Your friend is an idiot. I don't recommend using encoding software for post processing at all. Encoding software is for encoding. If it was for pp, it'd be called post processing software. I would suggest using avisynth for both processing and post-processing your footage and then x264 or ZarxGUI for encoding it. You need to analyse your content from the VOB files to see what processing needs to be done. Then you need to pp it for editing if necessary. After editing, you might need further pp but I would imagine not. Then you encode it. Using lossless formats in between is advised.

Come back when you have the actual VOBs and we might be able to see about helping you determine your content makeup and how to deal with it. But really, buy the R2j DVDs at least. They're far superior to shitty American disks.

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:00 am

I wrote the following before you posted but i got disconnected for some reason but still still share
Sorry hope this isn't considered spamming but i cant see an edit post option for some odd reason

I linked the wrong image before where image 2 is this one should have been there

And I worked a bit on friends recommendation and used this script of CRF 6 source

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("H:\New folder\[minitheatre.org][minitheatre.org][dvd-iso]itazura Na Kiss Crf 0 [htt91][Htt91].mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false, convertfps=true).AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
LoadPlugin("H:\Setups\Encoding Software\MeGUI_1911_x86_WithoutInstaller\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
TDecimate(cycleR=4)
ConvertToYV12()
Deen("a2d",2,5,7,0)
aWarpSharp(depth=9, blurlevel=2, thresh=0.5, cm=2).MSharpen(threshold=4, strength=128, mask=false, highq=true)
This is what Megui preview showed (sorry still using Megui x_x )

i had to add YV12 command since it kept asking for it...meaning HB doesn't change the colourspace like the friend mentioned >..>
Removed Undot,Didn't resize at all,used Deen before Sharpening
Now after reading your comment....

will download ZarxGui...I have experience in x264Cli encoding will give it a shot too.

Btw Screenshot 1 which said DVD 1.8Gb source was an Actual DVD Vob Screenshot...

Thanks for the tips again ^_^

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am

I noticed you never gave me an avs script to work with

This is the source DVD vob http://xdat.us/HdHSi.png

What filters would you have used on this source....

Please frame a sample script since I know nothing of even calling out vob sources.This time will try ZarxGui for the encode

btw the guide on your site says ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/mpegforcons/ )
Always use LanczosResize() for your resizing steps. It will produce the best-looking resizes

And my friend said something else about using ffms2...how do these two filters compare?Which one would you pick?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 am

htt91 wrote:btw the guide on your site says ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/mpegforcons/ )
Always use LanczosResize() for your resizing steps. It will produce the best-looking resizes

And my friend said something else about using ffms2...how do these two filters compare?Which one would you pick?
2 things:

First, to be fair, that guide was written in 2006. The information was common practice 5 years ago, but times have changed. There are better resizing methods you should use.

Second... what? What the hell does ffms2 have to do with resizing? I mean, you can set a resizer as a parameter when using it, but it's an importing method, not something to be used to resize.

Since it isn't obvious in your questions, have you edited your AMV yet or not? Is this pre-processing or post processing? The references to guides are so scattered, I can't make heads or tails of your intent here. You're talking about preprocessing one minute but referencing encoding steps in other guides the next. What the hell are you trying to accomplish?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:42 am

What I am trying to do is something fansubs like CoalGirls,THORA,Chihiro,Doki etc have been practicing for years which is encoding off DVDs directly after curing all the faults using Avi Synth filters.Of course since I wont be doing lossless encoding so I wanna make sure the source looks good before i encode.I have never tried it before and is the first time actually I am trying but faced quite a lot of obstacles already...

btw u said a lot of better methods to resize are available what are they?So what does ffms2 actually do and is it required in this case?please dont leave sentences in half x_x

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Just to clear any and infact all miscommunications my incomplete statements have caused..this is the source i have
Screenshot --
Spoiler :
as you can see its 1.8 Gb but in 2 part of 1 Gb and 800 mb for the same episode connected by chaptering.
Spoiler :
This is the Source
Now Since Megui can't perform Chaptered Encoding and I needed an automated process so I went ahead and used Handbrake since it considers the 2 parts as one andthus a lossless encode gave me 1 file of 1.89 GB.i performed some simple filtering operations handbrake allows while I was at it which were DeTelecine,DeComb,Denoise(Medium) to get this encode (as I mentioned I have a CRF 6 encode too with same filters used on it)

Screenshot --
Spoiler :
CRF 0 Encode
CRF 6 Encode
Now when I tried to encode the lossless source on Megui it crashed it..I however managed an encode on the CRF 6 file getting this output
Spoiler :

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("H:\New folder\[minitheatre.org][minitheatre.org][dvd-iso]itazura Na Kiss Crf 0 [htt91][Htt91].mkv", fps=29.970, audio=false, convertfps=true).AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
LoadPlugin("H:\Setups\Encoding Software\MeGUI_1911_x86_WithoutInstaller\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
TDecimate(cycleR=4)
LanczosResize(1280,720)
LoadPlugin("H:\Setups\Encoding Software\MeGUI_1911_x86_WithoutInstaller\tools\avisynth_plugin\UnDot.dll")
Undot() # Minimal Noise
ConvertToYV12()
aWarpSharp(depth=9, blurlevel=2, thresh=0.5, cm=2).MSharpen(threshold=4, strength=128, mask=false, highq=true)
Deen("a2d",2,5,7,0)
---------------
mister hatt who has been really helpful till now suggested I ditch Megui and switch to either x264 for encoding or ZarxGui which I plan on testing soon.All I need now is a script which can combine the two vob files and then perform the required Sharpening,Smoothing and other operations so as to make the process automated removing the need for using handBrake which I am forced to use atm.I wanted recommendations on what all am I doing wrong and what can i do to improve for example during Sharpening or Smoothing etc.btw I still dont know whats the best method to resize the source.Clarification on that will be appreciated :)
-----------------------------------

I picked thetopic of ffms2 before thats because megui was making the scripts using DirectShowSource to which my friend recommended using ffmpegsource which is better (*he clarified this to me after all my previous posts)

Sorry for all the confusion that has been building up in this thread.hope its clarified now.I tried to state everything i possibly could.If you can just think of this as the first post in this thread and start anew...

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 pm

So you have a workflow problem. This is going to be way too difficult to solve on the forum seeing as you need to be shown the actual process of getting from ripping to editing to encoding and all the processing in between. Get on IRC (I'm on the AMV channel as well as Rizon under the same nick) and I can help you from there.

Just a note on CoalGirls/THORA/Chihiro/Doki: they are all HD groups and rarely if ever deal with the interlacing issues you are seeing, with the exception of Chihiro who occasionally use MPEG2-TS raw footage. That said, they are ALL known for having exceptionally bad encoding.

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:13 am

Mister Hatt wrote:So you have a workflow problem. This is going to be way too difficult to solve on the forum seeing as you need to be shown the actual process of getting from ripping to editing to encoding and all the processing in between. Get on IRC (I'm on the AMV channel as well as Rizon under the same nick) and I can help you from there.
Thanks for the offer its just I am have my exams in the uni so I am a little busy...can it be possible that you add me as a contact on gtalk i bet that can work too that way once my exams end I will get to u first thing i do ^_^
Spoiler :
This is my gmail id -- httt91@gmail.com
Mister Hatt wrote:ust a note on CoalGirls/THORA/Chihiro/Doki: they are all HD groups and rarely if ever deal with the interlacing issues you are seeing, with the exception of Chihiro who occasionally use MPEG2-TS raw footage. That said, they are ALL known for having exceptionally bad encoding.
Damn goodness gracious you included everybody in there.I think I wont consider THORA bad atleast,yes they are the shyest encoders in the world using patched x264 and hiding their settings but u can almost guess they are using CRF 15 or below plus their filtering is the best of all fansub groups out there.CoalGirls well yeah you can say that...the encoder is a little weak on filters he was made a mockery of on his own site on the True tears listings when his screenshots were compared with THORA's.He sucks at Ordered chaptering too forgetting to remove the extra frames involved after cutting it on mkvmerge for which THORA uses trim I believe.

So yeah some groups can do better but they dont do bad encoding :|

btw FLCL from CoalGirls had some of the best settings I have seen so everybody has rough patches somewhere I would forgive them for one or two off the mark encodes but not say they encode bad unless i can do better than them which i cant atm :P

Return to “AviSynth Help”