HELP!! needed in removing Interlace!!!

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
htt91
Org Profile

HELP!! needed in removing Interlace!!!

Post by htt91 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm

I was encoding a video from DVD for the first time and it seems i ran into some trouble

My source seems to be heavily interlaced and the horizontal lines show up especially during the fast motion scenes.I read quite a few of Scintilla's guide on Deinterlacing,Sharpening,Blending,Denoising etc but after several tries I am still not satisfied with the result.Any way to get firm lines on the source deinterlace it and still save as much detail as possible...

Any Avisynth script/filters recommendations are appreciated.Btw I am only 1-2 days old to Avi Synth scripts so a detailed explanation of what it(the recommended filter) does where to get it and how the problem was solved would be better

A Cut Scene from the Source (1 minute cutscene from 3 min - 4min of complete Source)

Vandread Season 2 Episode 13 ---->

Code: Select all

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IFHTHVTU
Btw please do try the filter yourself before recommending since I used a lot of them and failed

[Kariudo: Removed links to a full episode in parts. I'll leave the 1 minute sample for filter testing purposes pending further discussion]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: HELP!! needed in removing Interlace!!!

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue May 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Post your script.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 pm

I used TFM(),TDecimate() and vinverse()<----- [After reading an earlier solution]
TomsMoComp(-1,5,1)/(1,5,1)/(1,30,0)/(1,10,0) etc and several combinations
yadif()
KernelDeint()

and several others tried after reading this guide http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... moval.html
-------------------
I used the scripts on Megui before I encoded it and saw the result using preview so I no longer have the scripts since I wasn't satisfied and didn't save.

i used almost the Deinterlace removal filters Megui provides as well :|

Like I said I am new to Avisynth Filters so I might have missed a trick or two please you some of your time to arrive at a suitable script.Thanks ^_^

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue May 17, 2011 5:54 pm

htt91 wrote:I read quite a few of Scintilla's guide on Deinterlacing,Sharpening,Blending,Denoising etc...
Scintilla, in the aforementioned [url=http://www.aquilinestudios.org/avsfilters/]guide[/url], wrote:Scintilla's Guide to AVISynth Postprocessing Filters
(except deinterlacers)
Just so nobody tries to go blaming this one on me. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:34 pm

lolol you got me there :P

I should have written many including yours which I found an enjoyable read.Thanks for the effort you put in writing stuff and recommending.Senior encoders on minitheatre.org where I practice encoding share a link to your guide the first thing if anyone says he wanna learn about filters. :P

so thanks ^_^

It will make my day if you clear this problem of mine too :D

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 am

SInce the reply rate on this forum is extremely slow :( I will add another problem >.>

How to tell when have u blended enough?

Can be interpreted as where to stop Deen?

I have tried my hands at encoding the Itazura na Kiss DVD iso and got the following screenies to share

So this is the DVD source at 1 min 33 sec (Size-1.8 GB)

Now I encoded it on Handbrake with the following Detelecine,yadif,Denoise(Medium) ....and CRF 6 to get a 1 GB encode

Since I found the video not sharp enough (I usually prefer them sharper but most people i should the screenshots too say I overdid it :( )
.......so I used the following script to resize,sharpen and smoothen it ^_^

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("H:\New folder\[minitheatre.org][minitheatre.org][dvd-iso]itazura Na Kiss Crf 0 [htt91][Htt91].mkv", fps=29.970, audio=false, convertfps=true).AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
LoadPlugin("H:\Setups\Encoding Software\MeGUI_1911_x86_WithoutInstaller\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
TDecimate(cycleR=4)
LanczosResize(1280,720)
LoadPlugin("H:\Setups\Encoding Software\MeGUI_1911_x86_WithoutInstaller\tools\avisynth_plugin\UnDot.dll")
Undot() # Minimal Noise
ConvertToYV12()
aWarpSharp(depth=9, blurlevel=2, thresh=0.5, cm=2).MSharpen(threshold=4, strength=128, mask=false, highq=true)
Deen("a2d",2,5,7,0)
Encoded at CRF 13 from CRF 6 source.Size = 280 mb

i tweaked a bit to get it there and here is how it looks now .....tell me what do you guys think did I get it right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything that can make it look better?I dont mind re-encoding it so share ur thoughts.Btw I wanted to try PixiedustMT and VmToons on it instead but couldn't get them to work what should be my script if I wanted to try with them?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 18, 2011 1:30 am

I haven't grabbed your source sample due to limited resources at hand, but do you even know the difference between interlacing, telecine, hybrid, and half-sized interlaced frames (only occurs in sport usually)? Even if you don't know the difference, you should at least be able to analyse your footage and give a fairly good idea of what it is.

That said, randomly trying filters isn't going to work as they do multiple things and need to be configured to do whatever it is you require. I would recommend reading my post in the bebop source thread about how to find out what you're dealing with, if someone can dig it up for you as I have no idea right now where it is. I might write a guide at some stage on this.

As for your filter settings above, none of it makes any sense and will only serve to ruin your footage. That is NOT a DVDISO; it is the wrong framerate, you have a lot of unnecessary code, and your source call isn't even the right one to be using for your content. Forget fixing it, start over. I would suggest you find out what a DVDISO is and how it differs from an MKV. Then learn what telecine is and what the various filters you are using actually do. Reading up on colourimetry is also a good idea. You might want to get on IRC and ask for some realtime help. Also I believe there is a rule on this board about using pirated material.

htt91
Org Profile

Post by htt91 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:02 am

hmm the sample is just a 1 min cutpiece from an source encode which may or may not be pirated.yeah its not CRF 0 (Its a CRF 15 encode from the DVD which may be genuine x_x ) o_o

like I said I am 2 days old to filters and I genuinely cant figure out what filters to use...I think thats the perfect time to ask for help lol when u dont know what to do next.

And I didn't use all the filters at once lol..I tried combinations of them...Megui has an analyse feature which detects the filters required and it suggested TIVT too.I tweaked with its cycles and top order,bottom order thats it.he ones I mentioned in 1 line are the ones I used together not all of them at once :P

As for the others I started reading the Deinterlace guide and tried it x_x sorry about that

And I would love to read more into this if someone links me to it :D

The Itazura screenshots I linked are effectively my first time using avisynth filters...so as u can see I need help :|

Thanks for the answer.Will love to hear more when u can dwnload the source sample.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 am

Stop using MeGUI, it is terrible and will only make you do the wrong thing. If all you had to tweak top/bottom or field order, then you're obviously doing it wrong as those don't need tweaking. The sample is useless if it is a second generation encode, upload a direct cut from the original VOB files. You don't need to even think about filtering yet. Filtering is what you do after your source is in a manageable form, which is what deinterlacing or IVTC is for. You need to make it progressive and cut any garbage data out and reset it to a 1:1 PAR before even THINKING about filtering, with very few exceptions where you'd filter beforehand, none of which I think you would need. 99% of the time, new DVDs don't even need filtering other than slight AA even, so you most likely don't even need to bother once it's progressive.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 am

By the way, if this wasn't immediately obvious, unless you are using the VOB and IFO files directly, you won't be able to deinterlace it properly at all. Just FYI in case you were stupid and downloaded an MKV rip.

Return to “AviSynth Help”