Please help-Trying to compress to Mpeg-2 for Convention

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Dext3r
Org Profile

Please help-Trying to compress to Mpeg-2 for Convention

Post by Dext3r » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 am

Hello,

I just recently finished making an AMV in Adobe Premiere 5.5, and I am having trouble trying to figure out how to compress it into an Mpeg-2 source for a competition/convention; also my video is sized incorrectly and I need help fixing it.

I also have these massive black borders on the side of my video that I know is probably due to improper resizing on my part, and although I have tried to remedy this with a new avisynth script of the exported uncompressed AVI (before compressing to MPEG-2), whenever I try to run the avisynth script in either VirtualDubMod or TMPGEnc (the converting program recommended by: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/mpegforcons/) it crashes, although the original video does work.

This is the avisynth script I have created for the post-video:

FFVideoSource("C:\Users\Freeman\Desktop\Fight the Power.avi")
FFCopyrightInfringement("C:\Users\Freeman\Desktop\Fight the Power.avi")
AssumeFPS("23.976")
SSRC(48000)
LanczosResize(720,352)
AddBorders(0,64,0,64)

per the recommendations from the guide listed below

I do not know if the resizing I have set up in the new avisynth script will fix my resizing issues, and I would like to improve that as much as possible, so if someone could clarify for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

You may also notice some audio issues throughout the video, however on further playback this never appears to happen in the same place. I believe this is caused by poor audio quality, and I have a friend of mine working on setting up a lossless source that I will try to recompress with the video before friday, however if someone else might know what is causing this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the current MPEG-2 I have, however for obvious reasons, I do not consider it acceptable as of yet:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IIKYWRXF

The original export from Premiere is Microsoft AVI Uncompressed, and then attempted to convert to MPEG-2 (I tried multiple settings, they all have the same sizing issues), and as I said before, no matter what I try to do with the avisynth script, it crashes.

I have even tried taking out every line from the new avisynth script except for the first two detailing the location of the video and audio, however this does nothing, it still crashes.

I had to convert all my original source avisynth scripts to AVI files (that are massive, as I am editing from 52 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), and so editing the original scripts is impossible at this point, because to my knowledge, that would mean I would have to reconvert them all to AVI, which took over 16 hours, and then that would probably make me have to re-edit this entire video (which if you look at it, based on length and how much work I've put into it: is impossible, especially given the time constraints).

So anything that I can do to fix this will have to be done to the export from Premiere, unless there is a way to work with the AVI's that I made from the avisynth scripts.

The source is primarily 16:9 DVD (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) and very few parts from a 4:3 DVD (Naruto). (You can recognize these parts in the video, it is whenever someone is rowing in a boat during the lyrics "Row Row")

The avisynth script for all the fullmetal alchemist DVD's is as follows:

mpeg2source("F:\DVD RIPS\Music Video Rips\Brotherhood\Disc 1 (1-7)\MainMovie\FMA_BROTHERHOOD_P1_D1\FMAB 1-7.d2v", cpu=4)
ConvertToYV12()
Spline36Resize(848,480)
#TTempSmooth()
FastLineDarkenMod()
LSFmod(strength=120)
LUTDeRainbow()

And the avisynth script for the one Naruto DVD is as follows:

mpeg2source("F:\DVD RIPS\Music Video Rips\Random\Row Row\MainMovie\ROW ROW\VTS_01_1.d2v")
TFM()
TDecimate()
Spline36Resize(848,636)
Crop(0,78, 0,-78)

These recommendations came from what I could figure out from:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/

If anyone is curious, the song is "Libera me from Hell", and it is 44100 from what I could tell when I ran it in WINAMP (I converted it from mp3 to wav through WINAMP, if there is a better way that I am unaware of, please let me know).

I know this is extremely long, and thank you anyone who has taken their time to look through it, it is greatly appreciated. Though I am new to this board, I have been making AMV's for a long time (although I stopped for a long time, and this is my first one again in years), and I would like this to be the best it can possibly be.

The deadline for this is friday (5/20/11), so I need help with this ASAP and thanks,

Dexter

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Please help-Trying to compress to Mpeg-2 for Convention

Post by Zarxrax » Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 am

Ok, 2 problems. First, just resize your video to 720x480. YES, THIS WILL LOOK WRONG. However, when you encode the mpeg2, you need to set the aspect ratio to 16:9. This will ensure that it gets stretched back out correctly during playback.

Next, don't use AssumeFPS. This simply changes the speed that video plays, without taking audio sync into account. Looking at the scripts you used for your source footage, your stuff should ALREADY be at 23.976, unless you edited at a different framerate. So, no need for that line at all.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Alright so just do LanczosResize(720,480) in the new avisynth script?

I just tried that (and got rid of AssumeFPS), but it still crashes in both VirtualDubMod and TMPGEnc

Thats the biggest problem I'm having right now, I simply can't get the avisynth script to work in either of those programs, and thats even with just the first two lines

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed May 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Remove the first 2 lines and use AviSource

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed May 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Alright, THANK YOU Zarxrax for that, that definitely fixed the crashing, however:

Neither 720x352 nor 720x480 is correct for the sizing, it boxes the video up even more actually, having MASSIVE black lines on the top and bottom and similar lines on the left and right

Whoever can help me fix this sizing issue, PLEASE, it would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks,

Dexter

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 pm

That is something to do with the settings in whatever you are using to encode to mpeg2 then.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed May 18, 2011 5:43 pm

You mean in TMPGEnc?

For both I told it to use 16:9 525 line, because didn't you say for the aspect ratio to be set to 16:9?

All the things I'm following (except for the 16:9 setting) came from that link in my first post (the more specific TMPGEnc one).

I haven't had a chance to try the 4:3 settings yet, I'm at work.

I can try again in about 6 hours.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Under the "advanced" tab in tmpeg it should be set to 1:1.
Set the 16:9 aspect ratio in the "Video" tab.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

I believe thats what I did, but I will try it again (in about 5 hours from now) and then if it still has the same issues, then I'll send you printscreens of before compression and after compression so you can see the sizing issues.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 am

Ok, so I took out the addBorders command (I hadn't before, I'm assuming thats what you want me to do now), and this is what I came up with:

Original export from Premiere:

http://d3xt3rbescrolling.net/images/Test2.jpg

Compression using avisynth script with Lanczos command:

http://d3xt3rbescrolling.net/images/Test.jpg

As you can see, both of these are inadequate for the task at hand.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”