The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ROUND TWO!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ROUND TWO!

Post by Kionon » Sat May 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Silk_SK wrote:Okay watched it. I haven't seen Mirk's video but I can tell you an AMV needs more than just a coherent story. Frankly, it seemed like you straight up stopped editing after the first 30 seconds or so.
I wasn't in any way detracting from Phan's win. Just articulating feelings on the match. In both of my matches, I clearly thought my opponent had better technical editing than I did. I would counter that an AMV without story coherency, when it comes to a song like the one presented, is not much of an AMV at all, so it cuts both ways.

I'm going to presume you don't mean to come off as harsh as your phrasing implies to me, but it's clear (and this is why we have multiple judges), that you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes editing. You think the first thirty seconds are only edited because they comprise a very high level of beat synch, especially given the amount of lyric less intro. Yes, it is true that as I ran out of time, the technical side after about 1:14 or so became hard to maintain (I have a very specific approach to iron chefs, and one of those is that technical tweaks occur in the last thirty minutes), and it didn't pick up again until the end, but to say I stopped editing... Clearly you are not familiar with my style, especially my romance videos, and the style of the era that I'm from. Phan and I took different approaches to this song, given our sources, and I trust that the judges felt that Phan's execution of his own approach was better than my execution of my approach, and that they did not try to judge us both by one, equal standard. You pretty much explicitly state I had no execution after the first thirty seconds, and I think that is inaccurate and unfair, and says a lot about the generational gap that exists between us.

tl;dr No drama needed, just saying what I felt, Phan and I had different approaches, both were good, judges liked Phan's better, it's all cool.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat May 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Kionon wrote:
Silk_SK wrote:Okay watched it. I haven't seen Mirk's video but I can tell you an AMV needs more than just a coherent story. Frankly, it seemed like you straight up stopped editing after the first 30 seconds or so.
I wasn't in any way detracting from Phan's win. Just articulating feelings on the match. In both of my matches, I clearly thought my opponent had better technical editing than I did. I would counter that an AMV without story coherency, when it comes to a song like the one presented, is not much of an AMV at all, so it cuts both ways.

I'm going to presume you don't mean to come off as harsh as your phrasing implies to me, but it's clear (and this is why we have multiple judges), that you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes editing. You think the first thirty seconds are only edited because they comprise a very high level of beat synch, especially given the amount of lyric less intro. Yes, it is true that as I ran out of time, the technical side after about 1:14 or so became hard to maintain (I have a very specific approach to iron chefs, and one of those is that technical tweaks occur in the last thirty minutes), and it didn't pick up again until the end, but to say I stopped editing... Clearly you are not familiar with my style, especially my romance videos, and the style of the era that I'm from. Phan and I took different approaches to this song, given our sources, and I trust that the judges felt that Phan's execution of his own approach was better than my execution of my approach, and that they did not try to judge us both by one, equal standard. You pretty much explicitly state I had no execution after the first thirty seconds, and I think that is inaccurate and unfair, and says a lot about the generational gap that exists between us.

tl;dr No drama needed, just saying what I felt, Phan and I had different approaches, both were good, judges liked Phan's better, it's all cool.
Sorry if I offended you. But the way I see it, there's no point to making a music video if you edit like there's no music.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Silk_SK wrote:Sorry if I offended you. But the way I see it, there's no point to making a music video if you edit like there's no music.
You did offend me, although I accept that it wasn't your intent. Your second sentence makes it clear you still don't see why I am offended, however, but I'll publicly accept your apology and take any further comments to PM.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat May 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Even though (thanks to Brad's recaps) I don't DL the matches anymore, I made an exception here.

And I have to agree with judges and Silk - from my PoV it seems that yours (Kio) vid could've profited from shortening by some 1/3rd - the gazes are fine, but overally pretty long and on this short stage of some ~144s they feel a bit out of place. Not to mention that almost the whole time the scenes out of sync - not only to beats, but even to the sung voice. There was some lyrics sync, but it was just a minor addition.

Phan's video, OTOH, had not only tight sync, but for me most importantly, his cuts made me feel like there's something happening. I saw the feelings of those two, first the shock of the boy, then the determination of the girl. That's something your video lacked for me and why I consider Phan's video the better one. Your gazes and blushes were good as well, but I suppose they were worse timed or dosed. It just didn't work.

(Oh, also... it was more close for me because of Phan's horrible ending... in a horrible font D: Had he left it out, it would have been much better)

(And also, IMO, the "style of era one's from" doesn't have to do with anything - I have seen videos from "your era" that could beat Phan in a second - it's the execution of a style where it's in and this one didn't seem that good. Btw, I liked your source, might watch it ;x )

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I would have left it the above, but as long as we're generating actual discussion, and not devolving into flaming on either side... Silk, please feel free to jump in and correct me if I have mischaracterised you in any way. I think it is important to discuss these differing "philosophies."
Nya-chan Production wrote:And I have to agree with judges and Silk - from my PoV it seems that yours (Kio) vid could've profited from shortening by some 1/3rd - the gazes are fine, but overally pretty long and on this short stage of some ~144s they feel a bit out of place. Not to mention that almost the whole time the scenes out of sync - not only to beats, but even to the sung voice. There was some lyrics sync, but it was just a minor addition.
Nya, you don't agree with Silk. Silk said I stopped editing. You disagree with my execution (which is fine!), don't see what I was trying to do (fine!), and you feel that my message didn't make it through (also fine!), but you don't think I stopped editing and just laid a minute of footage down and called it a day. Clearly, I feel I did have the scenes on a sync, but if I am the only one who can follow the sync, perhaps that is poor sync, but not non-existent sync. You say my editing didn't work very well, silk said after the thirty seconds, I didn't at all. World of difference between those comments. One is a statement of opinion, one is a statement of a fact that is verifiably false.
Phan's video, OTOH, had not only tight sync, but for me most importantly, his cuts made me feel like there's something happening. I saw the feelings of those two, first the shock of the boy, then the determination of the girl. That's something your video lacked for me and why I consider Phan's video the better one. Your gazes and blushes were good as well, but I suppose they were worse timed or dosed. It just didn't work.

It may not have worked, but you acknowledge that I obviously had reasons for what I was doing. And yeah, I was really trying to get more sync out of the blushes. If you noticed that, then clearly Silk's comment was factually incorrect. Clearly I was still editing.
(Oh, also... it was more close for me because of Phan's horrible ending... in a horrible font D: Had he left it out, it would have been much better)

(And also, IMO, the "style of era one's from" doesn't have to do with anything - I have seen videos from "your era" that could beat Phan in a second - it's the execution of a style where it's in and this one didn't seem that good. Btw, I liked your source, might watch it ;x )
I think you misunderstood me here, Nya. I felt that Silk was dismissive of an entire style as non-editing. You would say that it "wasn't that good of an execution." He would say "that isn't an execution." Again, two different viewpoints entirely.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat May 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Cut the crap - you're splitting hairs and you know it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat May 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Ah, I'm sorry you misunderstood me when I said "stopped editing." Of course you were editing in the literal sense. I meant that it didn't seem like you were editing the scenes much beyond putting them down and letting them go for a while to eat up the timeline.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Bashar, the difference is significant. Period. I won't back down on that.
Silk_SK wrote:Ah, I'm sorry you misunderstood me when I said "stopped editing." Of course you were editing in the literal sense. I meant that it didn't seem like you were editing the scenes much beyond putting them down and letting them go for a while to eat up the timeline.
I wasn't. My clips were where they were for reasons. I don't "eat up timeline." Not even in ICs. With ICs, you don't have unlimited time to go back and see if your choice of cuts always work as intended, but that isn't the same as not having had reasons for placing the clips where they are.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat May 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Kionon wrote:Bashar, the difference is significant. Period. I won't back down on that.
Silk_SK wrote:Ah, I'm sorry you misunderstood me when I said "stopped editing." Of course you were editing in the literal sense. I meant that it didn't seem like you were editing the scenes much beyond putting them down and letting them go for a while to eat up the timeline.
I wasn't. My clips were where they were for reasons. I don't "eat up timeline." Not even in ICs. With ICs, you don't have unlimited time to go back and see if your choice of cuts always work as intended, but that isn't the same as not having had reasons for placing the clips where they are.
I didn't say that you didn't have a reason for putting the clips where they were. Just that you didn't do anything to them once they were placed.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Silk_SK wrote:I didn't say that you didn't have a reason for putting the clips where they were. Just that you didn't do anything to them once they were placed.
Just that you didn't think I did enough. Again, a significant difference in philosophy.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0”