State of the Org - 10-13-10

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 pm

hiddenninja wrote:This ORG can start by being nicer to the noobs who don't know any better. Unless that's been going on for months, in which case, keep up the good work.
The noobs can start by writing normally. Unless that's been going for months, in which case they can keep writing so that nobody can understand what the hell has been written.

Rice
is a terrible mother
Org Profile

Post by Rice » Fri May 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Why does the org always consist of arguements? xD

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri May 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Because it's, like, Org XD

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat May 14, 2011 12:22 am

drama
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat May 14, 2011 12:14 pm

.. the problem with "what people THINK is IMPLIED" with what we write:

Some of us are writing things via home-made-transliteration-programs,
which is "no excuse for sloppy English" .. but it does cause many misunderstandings.
These kinds of problems can be avoided if you add a little common-sense to writing issues.

Somebody once wrote some really awesome advice and nobody ready it: (( the first dictator machines ))
.. "If you can Say-IT and it makes sense to you, then just write-down exactly what you just said."
( most people never talk-out-loud the thoughts that they are trying to ask; what they are "meaning to say" before they say it. )
Record your own voice "asking the question" and then play it back. While it is playing back, write it down exactly as you said it. -- Marc Twain

:up:

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Pwolf wrote:I think a lot of people don't realize is that the org was originally created to be a repository of amvs, not a content distribution center. At the time of it's creation it wasn't even meant to be the community hub it turned into. Over the years its grown to add more community features and allow us a free place to host our videos but the underlying system that's been in place since the beginning hasn't changed much at all. It's still built to be a repository of information and the website is designed around that.

Other amv community websites and video distribution sites, like youtube, have been gaining a bigger foothold because they were built to showcase and distribute content, not just display data. The org can't compete with those because it's not designed to compete with them. You can't expect people who are coming from youtube to understand how our process works. It's way too involved for someone who isn't familiar with how the org operates. Not to mention the method for entering data is old and confusing as well. For us seasoned veterans, we are used to this but the newbs of today, as tech savvy as they might be, like things to be simple and fast in process. The org is neither.

Over the years we've had staff come and go but we haven't had a whole lot of programmers step up to the plate to try and add, fix, or change the website to make it better. You can whine and moan about the problems we have and say you've tried to help but how come I don't see your name in the programmer's forum? Don't know how to program? If you want to help, learn how. We don't need moderators, we don't need admins, we need programmers.

Nothing will get done unless there's someone there to do it. The sad truth is, we don't have that many people running the site and definitely not enough programmers. Youtube has the entire Google corporation behind it. When it needs something done, it happens. They also get paid to do it. The org is different in that the entire website is run by members of the community. We take time out of our day to make sure the rest of the community has a place to the share their work. It's not easy when you have a life outside the hobby. With the org being as large of a community website as it is, it just takes that much more work and time.

Bottom line is if people really want the org to live and return to it's glory, help us on the programming side. We need coders and people willing to donate their time. We don't need newsletters or videos of the day or podcasts or community reviews or anything else you people have been trying to add. At this moment and for many years, we need programmers. Without programmers NONE of the things you guys want from the org are going to happen. None of it.

I'll be the first one to admit that I haven't done my part. I've been a "trusted programmer" for years on the org but I haven't contributed a single line of code. I've commented on and discussed many different things regarding the inner workings of the site with the active programmers and staff. I think that's better then nothing. During this recode i've been giving my two cents and hopefully i'll actually contribute some code as well when the time comes. That time will never come though if there aren't enough people to make it happen.

So, get off your asses and learn php :|
What's the best way to learn how to program??

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sun May 15, 2011 7:53 pm

post-it wrote:.. the problem with "what people THINK is IMPLIED" with what we write:

Some of us are writing things via home-made-transliteration-programs,
which is "no excuse for sloppy English" .. but it does cause many misunderstandings.
These kinds of problems can be avoided if you add a little common-sense to writing issues.

Somebody once wrote some really awesome advice and nobody ready it: (( the first dictator machines ))
.. "If you can Say-IT and it makes sense to you, then just write-down exactly what you just said."
( most people never talk-out-loud the thoughts that they are trying to ask; what they are "meaning to say" before they say it. )
Record your own voice "asking the question" and then play it back. While it is playing back, write it down exactly as you said it. -- Marc Twain

:up:
You should try taking your own advice, then maybe you wouldn't sound like a mental midget every time you post here.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun May 15, 2011 9:04 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:
Pwolf wrote: programmer stuff
What's the best way to learn how to program??
It varies from person to person, but I've found that looking through online tutorials and sitting down and fumbling through a random project of your own choosing is the best way for me to pick up a new language/framework.

Doesn't have to be anything big, just something to get you familiar with the language.

I taught myself how to use jQuery over spring break by making a little google-style search suggestion (knowing some javascript beforehand kinda helped with that one)

AlexanderVonCross
Org Profile

Post by AlexanderVonCross » Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 am

Hi. I am a newer editor, now for the most part no one has really told me my vids suck, they have tried to tell me how to make them better or given me advice. I have about 9 amvs to my credit, as I have progressed as an editor, I have gotten better. I have tried to post on youtube, and gotten my music edited out, which pisses me off. I love the org and I will keep coming here to post my AMVs for as long as I make them. I am not going to act like I know whats up with everything that goes on here, cause I dont. I respect all of you and I am glad to be apart of this site. I hope this makes some kind of sense.
I have been told I have issues, I just say, no I have volumes...ususally they just shake their heads and walk away.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am

more than most people.
Welcome to the org, we are glad to have you here and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Return to “Site Announcements”