Otafest 2011 AMV Contest - Now Accepting Entries

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Otafest 2011 AMV Contest - Now Accepting Entries

Post by Rider4Z » Sun May 08, 2011 11:24 pm

woo!
jen-chan wrote:3) Whether you were attending Otafest. Because Otafest is a smaller convention based in Calgary attended mostly by locals (around 4000 people almost exclusively from Alberta), we wanted to have a balance of locally created videos in order to encourage local talent, and to let creators actually see their work on the big screen. Therefore, as roughly 30% of contest entrants were local creators, 30% of the entries showing are from local creators as well.
eh?

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon May 09, 2011 3:04 am

Cool and good luck to all the finalists :)

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 am

Rider4Z wrote:woo!
jen-chan wrote:3) Whether you were attending Otafest. Because Otafest is a smaller convention based in Calgary attended mostly by locals (around 4000 people almost exclusively from Alberta), we wanted to have a balance of locally created videos in order to encourage local talent, and to let creators actually see their work on the big screen. Therefore, as roughly 30% of contest entrants were local creators, 30% of the entries showing are from local creators as well.
eh?
That was there the last year as well ;x

jen-chan
Org Profile

Post by jen-chan » Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am

Yes, this is a compromise that we've had for several years now. Unfortunately, we haven't quite been able to figure out how to run a dedicated AMV room in which we can show all the entries received. All our AMV programming is shown in the main events room, in part because that's where we chain poor, long suffering Vlad (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!) and his equipment for the weekend - this year in a maid-outfit-for-charity no less (assuming that we raise enough money)! ^_~

Since Otafest is a smaller con, attended mostly by locals, we really wanted to strike a balance between showing the audience the best AMVs out there, and the AMVs that they themselves made, since being able to enjoy the audience's reaction to your work is one of the greatest highs one can ever be on, and it means a lot to the local (admittedly green) talent, to be able to show their work as part of a high-profile, well attended event...

I do realize that this is an unusual policy that most cons don't have, and it certainly isn't the best, but it seems to have worked out alright for us so far...

Cheers,

Jenny Chan
Otafest 2011 - AMV Contest
amv@otafest.com
http://www.otafest.com

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am

it's the wording that confused me. i think i got it now.

ranmaman
Org Profile

Post by ranmaman » Mon May 09, 2011 11:05 am

jen-chan wrote:.... and the AMVs that they themselves made, since being able to enjoy the audience's reaction to your work is one of the greatest highs one can ever be on,
thats for sure XD - i only was into the contest for the first time Last Year, but submitted the year prior but due to lack of Knowledge i still had subtitles in the videos so they got rejected XD.

but actually seeing my video on the big screen it is the audience reaction i go to see.. being i felt like a nervous wreck as the video was playing... trying to pick out faults the audience might not like XD.. being i hadn't originally made the video to submit to a con so i was just happy with the video as it was :P.

Before the video started people cheered for it cause of the song that was used.. and seemed to enjoy a couple parts from little bit of laughter i could hear.... but didn't seen "as well received" by the end of the video as the audience may have been hoping for :P.

but this year i'm hoping to get a lot better reactions :D ....but now i'm super excited for next weekend XD

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 am

I'm kinda surprised that of the two I submitted, that was the one to get in. Interesting. Still happy though. |:>

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue May 10, 2011 5:00 am

moonbunnychan wrote:I'm kinda surprised that of the two I submitted, that was the one to get in. Interesting. Still happy though. |:>
Same here |:>

ranmaman
Org Profile

Post by ranmaman » Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Edit: - Only a few more Days! Woo!

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Sat May 21, 2011 12:42 am

moonbunnychan wrote:I'm kinda surprised that of the two I submitted, that was the one to get in. Interesting. Still happy though. |:>
x2 :up:

Return to “AMV Contests”