Video is always over 400 MB ..?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Mini-ru
Org Profile

Video is always over 400 MB ..?

Post by Mini-ru » Wed May 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I cant get my new AMVs to be under 400mb, unless I ruin it by making it a lower quality. Ive use VirtualDub to try but every time I try to compress it with VD it comes out 1GB-3GB , for a 2 minute movie :shock: . Im using Pro CS5 and the output is AVI which is currently the best looking output. Is there any way I can get this to be under 100mb so I can upload ?

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Video is always over 400 MB ..?

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Check out this page in the guides.

The version included in the AMVApp and shown in the screenshots is somewhat out of date, you can get the most recent version from here.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Mini-ru wrote:I cant get my new AMVs under 400mb
Quit Trying To Do The Impossible: Editors are not "Final" Encoders.
Virtual Dub "best at doing this" back in 1997-2002 .. but; not any more! Details are now "Of More Importance!"
Any editing program will produce a fairly sharp image on your AMV. Use a LossLess Codec Please.

.. what most people forget is that there is a "Finishing Step" to Making an AMV. The Guides' still mention its' step-by-step processes!
.. .. when we started making AMV's here 10 years ago, 480 X 360 was the normal size. Our cleaning steps worked.

Today, 2011, we have ZarxGUI to reduce the total size without destroying all the hard you put into it. There are
only a hand-full of people who can compress "Large Video Bulk" into a "Small File Container" and LantisEscudo's
right; Zarx is one of them.

PS .. People; please do not try to save space by shrinking your AMV by yourself -- if you don't know how!
Let people like Zarx, Zero and CandyMan do it for you. They have gone to School to learn how to do it.
.. so take advantage for their generosity -- they made the ZarxGUI specifically "to solve this problem!"
:shark:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri May 06, 2011 1:28 pm

post-it...please just stop

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 pm

.. fine! .. use Phades' recommendation - he should know, its his board!

The times have changed; this board has not

Enjoy.

Mini-ru
Org Profile

Post by Mini-ru » Sat May 07, 2011 4:11 pm

post-it wrote:
Mini-ru wrote:I cant get my new AMVs under 400mb
Quit Trying To Do The Impossible: Editors are not "Final" Encoders.
Virtual Dub "best at doing this" back in 1997-2002 .. but; not any more! Details are now "Of More Importance!"
Any editing program will produce a fairly sharp image on your AMV. Use a LossLess Codec Please.

.. what most people forget is that there is a "Finishing Step" to Making an AMV. The Guides' still mention its' step-by-step processes!
.. .. when we started making AMV's here 10 years ago, 480 X 360 was the normal size. Our cleaning steps worked.

Today, 2011, we have ZarxGUI to reduce the total size without destroying all the hard you put into it. There are
only a hand-full of people who can compress "Large Video Bulk" into a "Small File Container" and LantisEscudo's
right; Zarx is one of them.

PS .. People; please do not try to save space by shrinking your AMV by yourself -- if you don't know how!
Let people like Zarx, Zero and CandyMan do it for you. They have gone to School to learn how to do it.
.. so take advantage for their generosity -- they made the ZarxGUI specifically "to solve this problem!"
:shark:
I have used Zarx, Divx converter, Xvid converter, and handbrake. Just so happens I DID go to school for this stuff. I have converted it to a lower size 18-25mb, but not with out losing quality. Ive tried what I would normally would use for a video: MKV,H264-SHQ Animation, AAC. But it still doesnt look HD compared to my AVI video.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Formal education teaches you pretty much everything that is industry standard, and thus a terrible way to do almost anything. What you need is x264 with a relevant rate factor for your content. x264 --preset slower --tune animation --crf 18 is a good place to start, tweak the CRF for starters, smaller numbers improve quality but make it a lot larger, and it's an effective enough control that you can use decimals for noticable difference. If your source is particularly grainy, play with rdo and possibly qpmin or mbtree to compress it better while retaining grain. If it's particularly flat in some places, adjust AQ strength to re-allocate bits more effectively and increase compression without blocking it up.

Mini-ru
Org Profile

Post by Mini-ru » Sat May 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:Formal education teaches you pretty much everything that is industry standard, and thus a terrible way to do almost anything. What you need is x264 with a relevant rate factor for your content. x264 --preset slower --tune animation --crf 18 is a good place to start, tweak the CRF for starters, smaller numbers improve quality but make it a lot larger, and it's an effective enough control that you can use decimals for noticable difference. If your source is particularly grainy, play with rdo and possibly qpmin or mbtree to compress it better while retaining grain. If it's particularly flat in some places, adjust AQ strength to re-allocate bits more effectively and increase compression without blocking it up.
thank you.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:.. x264 --preset slower --tune animation --crf 18 is a good place to start .. If it's particularly flat in some places, adjust AQ strength to re-allocate bits more effectively and increase compression without blocking it up.
THAT's what I've been looking for ^__^

Thank You Mr. Hatt :up:

Return to “AviSynth Help”