Anime Expo 2011 AMV Meet & Greet

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Anime Expo 2011 AMV Meet & Greet

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 pm

http://www.anime-expo.org/forums/index. ... opic=14453

Oiwake in the Little Tokyo Plaza
Thursday Day 0. Official start time 7pm

I've been asked by a few people lately if Stryyder and I plan on doing the Meet & Greet again this year. I still find it funny and wonder when and how he and i became kinda the people in charge of this thing. I guess it could be cuz nobody's stepped forward to plan or takeover, I assume because we do such an awesomely fantastic job with that nobody thinks they could possibly do a better job than we do. (?)

Well anyway, as always like every year i am open to suggestions and feedback which i rarely get much of. Is our gathering really so fantastic that we have no complaints? ..... I will take your silence as a yes. Cool then.

ONE THING i do plan on changing this year is when we officially start. Because the masses of people who now register on day 0 has become that of what day 1 used to be therefore delaying when people finally get out of the ridiculous but inevitable line, i am moving our official start time to an hour later than we've been doing. meaning we are now starting at 7pm instead of 6pm. Which makes sense in one way, but i've always stressed that there is no cut-off time to where you're not allowed to show up at all. I say this every year PLEASE DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO BE THERE THE ENTIRE TIME. if you're late SO WHAT, at least you came! if you have to leave early DO SO, we all have a million things to do at convention and we understand that. >>and I know as editors a lot of us are very introverted and shy and don't want to stand out except thru our work, but WE LOVE YOU ANYWAY and we want to meet you. don't be afraid of making a scene if you arrive an hour late.

k now that i got my own gripes out of the way here's what i've planned so far for this year.... not a whole lot. I've kinda run dry on quiz ideas (altho i haven't talked to stryyder about that yet) but either way i wanna come up with something different. the quiz itself merely served as a centerpoint to the gathering and a way to give away free stuff. I think last year's raffle was very successful. we gave away an awesome Sailor Moon wallscroll and my custom Meet & Greet poster to Sproth and Nighthawk.
aren't they just totally stoked. and the proceeds for the raffle went straight to Oiwake Restaurant (which they were very appreciative of.) these things i plan on repeating this year.

but one thing i would like to try this year (and this'll require some of you to step out of your comfort zones) is to try getting people to actually meet and introduce themselves. haven't come up with specifically how yet but just giving out name tags doesn't cut it, cuz everyone just plops themselves down with whoever they came with or recognize and mingling is very minor.

THIS IS A MEET AND GREET. not a we set up a playlist and we just sit and watch amvs all night :P we do that every night, let's try conversing with our mouths instead of our fingertips. (and get your brains out of the gutter)

So where are we gonna hold this thing? i had a suggestion (altho i've forgotten what it is by now) of another place to try in Little Tokyo. Does anyone have any complaints with Oiwake ALONG with a better suggestion? we are open to ideas. this is your meet and greet too.

so let's hear the input. I will update this post with all official information as it develops.
Last edited by Rider4Z on Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 AMV Meet & Greet

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Not 100% sure I'll be making it on Day 0 since I haven't asked for the vacation time yet. The earliest I can safely come is late friday night/Sat morning (I need the monies :| ).

I'm starting to believe in this economy and for the convenience, most people don't wanna drive from their hotels to Little Tokyo and back which gets them raped with parking fees. If people are willing to blow more cash, then maybe the meet and greet should be at the local restaurants/hotels in the LACC area. There's the hotel restaurants which are plenty spacious, but expensive (but you'll save quite a bit in parking and the anxiety of driving in LA..), IHOP (not super spacious, but it's cheap and walkable), Dennys (same as Ihop), and more.

I do agree that we should all be put on the spot and introduce ourselves. I've been working on trying to be more social and less shy for the past year and while it's far more difficult than it looks, it's a great feeling to overcome social anxiety. Too many of us tend to stick to our own groups and not mingle with everyone else, so I'm definitely up for a more hands on, less introverted meet and greet. :mrgreen:

I can't say if I'm in or out yet, but we'll see.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Re-re-post-

I dont mind Oiwake myself but not everyone lives just 10 minutes for Downtown L.A. like me. Im wondering just how crowded other places would considering its summertime and near the 4th of July weekend.

As for breaking the ice-Im down for the "Stand up and tell the class about your summer vacation" approach. Im not sure if people would want to say, show one of their videos then introduce themselves, also not everyone there I imagine will have a video to show. Maybe then they can introduce a video that they like. I mean, we gonna be watchin' videos, might as well put some personification to it. :amv:

Barring any last minutes changes or unexpected deaths, I will be there. :dino:
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Not 100% sure I'll be making it on Day 0 since I haven't asked for the vacation time yet. The earliest I can safely come is late friday night/Sat morning (I need the monies :| ).

I'm starting to believe in this economy and for the convenience, most people don't wanna drive from their hotels to Little Tokyo and back which gets them raped with parking fees. If people are willing to blow more cash, then maybe the meet and greet should be at the local restaurants/hotels in the LACC area. There's the hotel restaurants which are plenty spacious, but expensive (but you'll save quite a bit in parking and the anxiety of driving in LA..), IHOP (not super spacious, but it's cheap and walkable), Dennys (same as Ihop), and more.

I do agree that we should all be put on the spot and introduce ourselves. I've been working on trying to be more social and less shy for the past year and while it's far more difficult than it looks, it's a great feeling to overcome social anxiety. Too many of us tend to stick to our own groups and not mingle with everyone else, so I'm definitely up for a more hands on, less introverted meet and greet. :mrgreen:

You were supposed to weep at the corner table with me last year, don't bail out on me now Troy. :|

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Ryvannis wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:Not 100% sure I'll be making it on Day 0 since I haven't asked for the vacation time yet. The earliest I can safely come is late friday night/Sat morning (I need the monies :| ).

You were supposed to weep at the corner table with me last year, don't bail out on me now Troy. :|
If I can't get the time off, I can always come in early (6AM) and leave early (3PM).

We can still weep! :cry: :sweat:

Edit: Oh wait, we can't weep anymore, Mr. Best of Show Anime LA 2011.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

machina21 wrote: As for breaking the ice-Im down for the "Stand up and tell the class about your summer vacation" approach. Im not sure if people would want to say, show one of their videos then introduce themselves, also not everyone there I imagine will have a video to show. Maybe then they can introduce a video that they like. I mean, we gonna be watchin' videos, might as well put some personification to it. :amv:
That kind of thing would be interesting, but there's usually a pretty good amount of people at these things, and I can imagine people losing interest if this went too long [If you're showing one of your vids/favorite vids as well, I mean].

Anywho, I'm planning to go this year, and I'm always down for Oiwake.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Edit: Oh wait, we can't weep anymore, Mr. Best of Show Anime LA 2011.
OH snap

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Sounds like fun. While I'm not a fan of the food there, I'm not sure of a better place unfortunately. If I can think of something, I'll certainly pass it on.

I have an idea for a contest that I'll contact you via email about.

Otherwise, the main attraction for me is getting the chance to meet other creators. I think name-tags with .ORG handles and names were a great idea.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon May 02, 2011 6:51 pm

I've got some friends in LA I can ask. And since you were wondering. I stopped handeling the AMV dinner the first year AX moved to LA. Although I live close I don't live close enough to know the layout and the food as much as I did Long Beach and Anaheim which I could handle really easily.

That said. This probably will be the first year I don't make it to the AMV dinner. I've got tickets for the midnight premiere of TF3 set aside which is the same night. It's at the theater next to my hotel and I haven't missed a midnight premiere of this franchise. I don't think I could really call myself a TF fan if I didn't make it, especially since one month prior I'll have been to Botcon.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 02, 2011 6:53 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:I've got some friends in LA I can ask. And since you were wondering. I stopped handeling the AMV dinner the first year AX moved to LA. Although I live close I don't live close enough to know the layout and the food as much as I did Long Beach and Anaheim which I could handle really easily.

That said. This probably will be the first year I don't make it to the AMV dinner. I've got tickets for the midnight premiere of TF3 set aside which is the same night. It's at the theater next to my hotel and I haven't missed a midnight premiere of this franchise. I don't think I could really call myself a TF fan if I didn't make it, especially since one month prior I'll have been to Botcon.
Michael Bay made you do it. :x

Return to “Anime Conventions”