IC4 Subforum Organization

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

IC4 Subforum Organization

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Here's the thing. Ileia already made a thread about announcing videos, but I really don't want to have 95 discussions going on in the same thread at the same time (or ~200 for individual vids >.> )

WHAT I SUGGEST:
Spoiler :
Hypothetical Subforum wrote:*Sticky* IC4 ANNOUNCEMENTS/SCHEDULE
*Sticky* OFFICIAL RULES
*Sticky* SIGN-UPS & Alternates
*Sticky* PREDICTIONS
*Sticky* DISCUSSION TEMPLATE & VIDEO LINKS

R2-68: Kyotachi vs Kain-X-Spirits
R1-15: [Niwa] vs. BasharOfTheAges
R1-17: Kisanzi vs. Douggie
R2-58: Meleechampion vs JCD
R1-09: [Nya-chan Production] vs. Eion
R1-01: Kaream vs. Neverend
R2-62: Ileia vs LantisEscudo
R1-07: [Copycat Revolver] vs. TrinityDown
R1-02: [Mystyk] vs. Cenit
R1-19: [Meleechampion] vs. DokiDoki
R1-03: [ReggieSmalls] vs. LopezAMV
R1-04: [Kikai Saigono] vs. Alumnus
R1-06: [DaCoolGohan] vs. Moonlight Soldier
R1-08: Haunter103 vs. Li0nka
R1-05: [AngelDragoon] vs. Pwolf
R2-66: Chiikaboom vs GloryQuestor
R1-10: Niotex vs DaikanshiSan
R1-11: [Silk SK] vs. Reda
R1-13: Reigna vs. WC Annihilus
R1-14: [Starsy7] vs. Nicho Void
R1-16: [drewaconclusion] vs. TwilightChrono
R1-18: Dn@ vs. Bladedude101
R1-20: [JCD] vs. GorDon
R1-12: RadioactiveCat vs. ssgwnbtd
( where square brackets [] - indicates the match winner )

It *IS* a subforum, I think we should use it like one :)
TEMPLATE:
Spoiler :
While one person could make & maintain all the threads, I was thinking we could just get the editors to make their own. Isn't that what we all want anyway? (plus it would be optional for those that don't want discussion) It would be pretty easy if we just follow some guidelines ...so I was thinking change the title of Ileia's thread to "DISCUSSION TEMPLATE & VIDEO LINKS" and put this in the first post:

-----------------------------------------
Discussion of various matches can be done in this thread OR for those that want a separate thread to discuss their match, it is up to you to meet with your opponent and decide if/how you want to maintain your own discussion thread(s) (I suggest simply sharing a thread with your opponent... it's better for discussion). Then log in and go to the IC4 Subforum and make a new topic entitled something like "R1-34: AwesomeEditor1 vs. AwesomeEditor2" (Use this naming scheme for your thread title. It means Round 1, Match 34). Please use the following template for the rest:

Code: Select all

[b][size=150]Round 1, Match 34: AwesomeEditor1 vs AwesomeEditor2[/size][/b]
[b]AwesomeEditor1's SOURCE:[/b] unknown anime
[b]AwesomeEditor2's SOURCE:[/b] unknown anime
[b]SONG:[/b] unknown artist - unknown song
[b][size=150]WINNER: unknown[/size][/b]

[s][b]SCHEDULED TIME:[/b] Friday April 15th @ 1:00PM CDT[/s]
[s](EDT) 2:00PM for AwesomeEditor1[/s]
[s](MDT) 12:00PM for AwesomeEditor2[/s]

[b][u]AwesomeEditor1's Video:[/u][/b]
banner/org-link/video-link/size/running-time/comments/etc... (whatever you want... )

[b][u]AwesomeEditor2's Video:[/u][/b]
banner/org-link/video-link/size/running-time/comments/etc... (whatever you want... )

[additional words go here... "any comments would be appreciated :)"... etc...]
It is up to you to ensure the accuracy of any information posted. In addition, please update the thread title with [] brackets around the winning editor once the official results are known, like: "R1-34: [AwesomeEditor1] vs. AwesomeEditor2" Official results will be posted here.

Also, for convenience it might be nice to use a common naming scheme for video files like "Editor - IC4 Match 34 vs Opponent"
-----------------------------------------
WHY?
Spoiler :
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just think it would be nice to have a place to discuss each match separately without bumping vids from the AMV Announcements subforum; or having to share the main IC threads like we do now. It would make it easier to discuss individual videos, as well as compare the competing vids, so we can have real discussions around what made a video successful or unsuccessful, especially in terms of Iron Chef.

I also think threads should be created beforehand so we have a place to discuss miscellaneous things before the match. Or simply meet the competition and have fun. The way it is right now, it feels like there is too much waiting, and this would provide a nice outlet for editors to speak their mind about the event without their thoughts being swallowed up by the main threads. It would also keep communication open so everyone is better organized and prepared for their matches. And provide a place for cheering each other on... or match hype 8-) (you know you can't resist telling your opponent how much they are going to lose :P ) Plus it would be completely up to the editors if they want a discussion thread or not; so once the threads are made they would regulate themselves based on what's hot, just like the main AMV Announcements forum, but still within IC4.

The big question would be who will make the threads. One option would be to dedicate a mod or someone else involved to making and maintaining the threads, which wouldn't be too different from how it is now-- just post the information in a different spot. I think the easier option would be to leave things how they are now... but flip a coin and have one of the opponents make and maintain their own thread using the template above.

Basically it would make the whole event more out-in-the-open, easier to find information, and easier to discuss.
IN SUMMARY:
  • -Rename and sticky the main topics, using the remaining space for discussion of matches. (like above)
    -Edit my Template into the first post of Ileia's thread (now called "DISCUSSION TEMPLATE & VIDEO LINKS")
    -Let people make their own threads using the template (or however they want... w/e)
    -Possibly enable edit button so people can update info about their matches as it becomes available.
    -Continue announcing official results in the Round One thread like now (renamed "IC4 ANNOUNCEMENTS/SCHEDULE")
/2cents

~Phan
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Brad
Org Profile

Re: IC4 Subforum Organization

Post by Brad » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

I certainly like the ideas. If people would like to start posting individual match threads, I'm perfectly okay with that. Right now anybody can make threads in that forum. I do however like the idea of keeping the names for the "official" threads as they are.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Well, I'm not too hung up of the official thread names, but they would definitely have to be stickied if people start flooding the board with their matches.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Agreed
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 am

I'm against this idea, i don't really want people discussing how shitty of an editor i am because i didn't do a better job with my video and audio combo :|

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:24 am

Well you don't have to make a thread if you don't want to.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

So much clutter D: It'd be better if inside the subforum for The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 there was a subforum >.>

Keep the main threads such as Round 1, Predictions, Rules etc (In other words, all the threads made by Brad and Liz)...on that page and then have a "Round 1 Videos" subforum where people could post their videos in threads if they choose to do so and other random fun poopcrap that goes with the current round we're on. Otherwise, it's going to look like a giant mess by round 2 if people keep making threads for their videos.

Example:
-Brad thread
-Brad thread
-Brad thread
+Round 1 Videos
Match 1234
Match 1234
Match 1234
+Round 2 Videos
Match 1234
Match 1234
Match 1234
+Round 3 Videos
Match 1234
Match 1234
Match 1234

Just an idea >.>

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean, but IMO if everything is labeled nicely, I think it would look more appealing:

The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - OFFICIAL RULES
The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - SIGN UP (IS FULL)
The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - PREDICTIONS
The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ROUND ONE!
The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ANNOUNCEMENT TEMPLATE
R1-M48: 8bit Samurai vs. Kristyrat
R1-M34: [Phantasmagoriat] vs. MycathatesyouAMV
R2-M68: Kyotachi vs Kain-X-Spirits
R3-M15: [Niwa] vs. BasharOfTheAges
R1-M17: Kisanzi vs. Douggie
R2-M58: Meleechampion vs JCD
R1-M09: [Nya-chan Production] vs. Eion
R1-M01: Kaream vs. Neverend
R2-M62: Ileia vs LantisEscudo
R3-M07: [Copycat Revolver] vs. TrinityDown
R1-M02: [Mystyk] vs. Cenit
R1-M19: [Meleechampion] vs. DokiDoki
R1-M03: [ReggieSmalls] vs. LopezAMV
R3-M04: [Kikai Saigono] vs. Alumnus
R2-M06: [DaCoolGohan] vs. Moonlight Soldier
R1-M08: Haunter103 vs. Li0nka
R1-M05: [AngelDragoon] vs. Pwolf
R2-M66: Chiikaboom vs GloryQuestor
R1-M10: Niotex vs DaikanshiSan
R1-M11: [Silk SK] vs. Reda
R3-M13: Reigna vs. WC Annihilus
R1-M14: [Starsy7] vs. Nicho Void
R1-M16: [drewaconclusion] vs. TwilightChrono
R2-M18: Dn@ vs. Bladedude101
R2-M20: [JCD] vs. GorDon
R1-M12: RadioactiveCat vs. ssgwnbtd

We could sticky an Announcement Template so everything looks the same. (or people could just look at the other threads, and be like... hey I should just do that) But even if people didn't follow a common naming scheme it wouldn't be so bad. It would be just like the regular announcement forum. And besides, if the main threads are stickied, we won't have them bumping around all the time. Every time I open the subforum and want to check out R1 announcements, it's in a different spot. As far as having a subforum for announcements within the subforum, that could work, but I don't see the point when there's already ton's of unused space in the one we have now.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm

I dunno :P
Still seems like it would be cluttered...

If I want to watch sound R1 videos because I missed them, I don't want to go searching through a list, and possible multiple pages, of R2 and R3, etc... I'm lazy but I like things organized :P

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Hmm... that's a good point.

I guess I'm just used to organizing files like that on my computer, then column sorting :P

A sub-subforum for each round might not be so bad for organization. Then again I don't see Round-Separation as a big issue because with the freedom of a singular board, the newer videos would naturally gravitate towards the top of the list as they are released. Now keep in mind some R1 matches will be more interesting than some R2 matches (I'm pretty impressed with some matches so far, including your match against Scoob btw). So if we had one board, then only the more interesting R1 matches would survive as more videos get announced-- just like the regular Announcement Forum. I'm not saying it should be like an attention-whore thing... but IMO threads do tend to organize themselves naturally in a way I like.

Either way, it's just a suggestion, but I would still like to see people make their own threads... instead of dumping videos into the same places with little possibility of anyone leaving their thoughts.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”