PNGs are stuck interlaced in Premiere Pro 2.0?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Cyrix
Org Profile

PNGs are stuck interlaced in Premiere Pro 2.0?

Post by Cyrix » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi, I'm working on an AMV in Premiere Pro 2.0 (outdated, I know, but it works fine for the most part) and I'm having an issue with PNGs.

I have several moving/scaling graphics throughout the video that I imported as PNGs; they appear to be forced-interlaced and I can't seem to do anything about it. I've tried turning on deinterlacing in the clip properties, but that doesn't work. If I export as a "progressive" DV-AVI, everything else is fine but the PNGs are still hideously interlaced, even if "deinterlace" is turned on in viewing software. If I export as a deinterlaced DV-AVI, the PNGs are fine but the the actual anime footage is degraded, with diagonal lines jaggedy and ugly.

On the other hand, if I export as a WMV using Adobe Media Encoder, the PNGs are not interlaced and the anime's lines aren't messed up. So I'm actually getting better quality out of WMV, but I don't want to use a WMV as my master...

Any ideas on something I could do to take care of this problem?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: PNGs are stuck interlaced in Premiere Pro 2.0?

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:06 am

1) why aren't you using psd files?
2) why aren't you exporting losslessly?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Why do you need to phrase your response like an ass? :D

I didn't know PSDs were better and my hard drive is full

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:09 am

PSD doesn't fix the problem. Any reason a PSD is better than a PNG? Does it render faster?

Project is 30fps, I should have mentioned that. I understand that defaults to interlaced but if I import progressive footage, it doesn't interlace the footage. Very confusing problem.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:50 pm

I was being concise, not being an ass.

Both PSDs and lossless export are "standard" so I ask those questions before moving on to looking for other issues. It's a "flow cart" sort of response. Take care of the basics before moving on to more complicated possibilities.

You says PSD files do not fix the problem. You also say that your project is 30fps. Now, I'm a bit outdated on earlier versions of Premiere Pro (I essentially skipped over from 6.5 to CS3), but wasn't there the ability to set a custom/desktop project up? That way you could have specified both 30fps and progressive by default? Now, if 2.0 is anything like CS3, then you are likely stuck with what you have, and unless you want to reedit the entire timeline, you won't be able to affect the default project settings.

If this is the case we need to look at the individual timeline properties for each individual image file you have and make sure that your effects settings (like speed or motion) are not causing the interlacing which would be output when you export, and also check that your export process is not adding the interlacing.

Do not export out in DV-AVI. Do not export out in WMV. You always export lossless and use a third party application to encode your distribution version. This is specifically because there is a documented history of every editing suite under the sun doing precisely this kinda of screwy crap when exporting lossy copies, and anyhow, the codec control available inside of the editing suites are not anywhere near as refined as the third party applications.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 pm

"Why aren't you [X]" is kind of a smartass response. You can be just as concise with "have you tried" or "you might like" or numerous other phrasings. Just saying. Anyway, thanks for your thorough response this time.

PNG is lossless as well.

Yes, the images are animated, that's why they're interlacing. I've never noticed this problem before but maybe I haven't animated PNGs before, I don't remember. Yeah, you can start a 24p or 30fps project; I could copy the entire timeline into 24p, but I wanted the extra precision of 30fps for several fast animations so I stuck with that.

I would love to export it as uncompressed but I really can't afford the hard drive space. Also, I just tested it, and that doesn't fix the interlacing problem. If I deinterlaced it while encoding an uncompressed version I'd mess up the progressive footage anyway, wouldn't I? I hadn't anticipated this problem cuz as I said, if I edit progressive footage in a 30fps project it doesn't interlace it.

The WMV isn't doing any screwy crap, actually, but it's compressing it more than I'd like.

I could always just re-encode the WMV as an x264 with a sharpen filter, right? ;)
that was a joke

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Cyrix wrote:"Why aren't you [X]" is kind of a smartass response. You can be just as concise with "have you tried" or "you might like" or numerous other phrasings. Just saying. Anyway, thanks for your thorough response this time.
Perhaps in your own sociocultural background such phrasing would indicate the speaker being a "smartass," but there is no need to presume such a connotation applies to all. Not only is this true among individuals that share a common native language, or even a common nationality, it is especially true of the Org where someone's language or national origin may not be known. Your assumption that your relative connotation of a given phrase is in someway universal to all practitioners of the English language is unfounded.

My initial questions presumed you had a level of knowledge with the standards associated with this community and the hobby in general, since you have something of a post count, and I have seen your involvement in other threads.

Neither my word choice nor my intent was disrespectful or dismissive, and I don't appreciate your unwillingness to take me at my word, especially when my intent is to help you.
PNG is lossless as well.

Yes, but PSD is Adobe, and the ability to use both Photoshop and Premiere (and AE) concurrently has been specifically programmed into the underlying structure of the entire product line.
Yes, the images are animated, that's why they're interlacing. I've never noticed this problem before but maybe I haven't animated PNGs before, I don't remember. Yeah, you can start a 24p or 30fps project; I could copy the entire timeline into 24p, but I wanted the extra precision of 30fps for several fast animations so I stuck with that.
Check your individual property settings for each effect on each specific PNG. Make sure interlacing is disabled, or deinterlacing is enabled if necessary. Without looking at your particular option screen, I'm not sure which it will be.
I would love to export it as uncompressed but I really can't afford the hard drive space. Also, I just tested it, and that doesn't fix the interlacing problem. If I deinterlaced it while encoding an uncompressed version I'd mess up the progressive footage anyway, wouldn't I? I hadn't anticipated this problem cuz as I said, if I edit progressive footage in a 30fps project it doesn't interlace it.
Lossless is distinct from uncompressed. You can have compressed lossless. Codecs include Lagarith, HUFFYUV, and UT Video. These three are the most common on the org. There are others, but those should be sufficient.
The WMV isn't doing any screwy crap, actually, but it's compressing it more than I'd like.
That's one of many reasons you do not export out in lossy codecs.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Yes, but PSD is Adobe, and the ability to use both Photoshop and Premiere (and AE) concurrently has been specifically programmed into the underlying structure of the entire product line.
I know, but I'm happy with my workflow; I make the graphic, save it as a PNG, and then import that into Premiere. Once the graphic is done I vary rarely need to reedit it, so importing it as a PSD is just an unnecessary extra step to me. Although if it renders faster that would be worth it; PNGs render slow as hell.
Check your individual property settings for each effect on each specific PNG. Make sure interlacing is disabled, or deinterlacing is enabled if necessary.
As I said, I've tried turning on deinterlacing in the clip properties, but that doesn't work. :?
Lossless is distinct from uncompressed. You can have compressed lossless. Codecs include Lagarith, HUFFYUV, and UT Video.
Yup, that was dumb of me :oops: . Well, I'll try that. Thanks!

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Ah, I installed both HuffYUV and UTVideo to my computer, but they don't show up in Premiere's export options as far as I can tell. I can't find any guide to exporting using these formats; any tips?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Cyrix wrote:Ah, I installed both HuffYUV and UTVideo to my computer, but they don't show up in Premiere's export options as far as I can tell. I can't find any guide to exporting using these formats; any tips?
There is no reason why they shouldn't. Can you screenshot your export options?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Adobe Software”