Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

LegendaryEd
Org Profile

Offering 1:1 Opinion Exchange

Post by LegendaryEd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Video: Code Geass - Shirley Tribute - Swim
Category: Character Profile, Drama
Anime: Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV, Spoilers), Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (TV, Spoilers)
Song: Swim
Artist: Jack's Mannequin
Creator: LegendaryEd

Hey, I just posted this, and although I don't believe this to be a great work, I'd love to hear about what I can improve on. I'm working on starting a new project soon enough, but more than anything I want to hear about what didn't go well in this so I can make sure it's better next time. I'll give one opinion for every one I receive as quickly as I can.

The anime is Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion, both the first season and R2. It is set to the song Swim by Jack's Mannequin, and is a tribute to Shirley Fenette.

Thank you all very much.

WiseAnt
Org Profile

Re: Offering 1:1 Opinion Exchange

Post by WiseAnt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Ok, I hope I don't come off as brutal. Just remember, this is only MY opinion. I do wish you had released in a smaller resolution. Wait until you get the hang of editing before you go HD.
Now, feel free to rip me a new one on any one of my vids. The third one(best IMHO) is on VEOH if you can't tell. I don't think you can opinion it so I guess it is moot. I can't really suggest one over another. Judging my first would be comparable, but my second is sentimental like this one, and of course my fourth is a better representation of MY attempts at frenetic beat sync. You choose.

mxchibandit
Org Profile

Post by mxchibandit » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:29 am

Some clips chosen do not seem to flow well with one another, if that makes sense. They're clips of her, but they seem random when used in conjunction with the others, for example the clips of her in her bathing suit. I also find it distracting to use clips of a character speaking set to vocals with the exception of lip syncing.

My video is available at--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk8ein-uXlo
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=181622

LegendaryEd
Org Profile

Post by LegendaryEd » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

WiseAnt wrote:Ok, I hope I don't come off as brutal. Just remember, this is only MY opinion. I do wish you had released in a smaller resolution. Wait until you get the hang of editing before you go HD.
Now, feel free to rip me a new one on any one of my vids. The third one(best IMHO) is on VEOH if you can't tell. I don't think you can opinion it so I guess it is moot. I can't really suggest one over another. Judging my first would be comparable, but my second is sentimental like this one, and of course my fourth is a better representation of MY attempts at frenetic beat sync. You choose.
Don't worry about coming off as brutal, I'm of the opinion that any advice that tells me what I'm doing wrong is great advice, so I REALLY appreciate all you had to say. Choosing between your videos, I would have gone with the one on Advent Children because I have little to no understanding of the other sources you used (and I love Advent Children), but considering it has no download link, I'll probably check out your latest video, and give you an opinion on that.

Again, thank you for ALL of the comments, I like bad, it's just more motivation to make sure opinions in the future show improvement hahaha

WiseAnt
Org Profile

Post by WiseAnt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:32 am

I'm not allowed to link to it in the database, but if you would like to watch it I guess it wouldn't hurt here.
Even in Death - FF7 Advent Children

LegendaryEd
Org Profile

Post by LegendaryEd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 am

I went ahead and left you an opinion on your video "Brookie".

I hope it is helpful, and if anything isn't clear just tell me. Thanks so much for the opinion, and I'll try to work on everything that was said!

OMGapotato
Org Profile

Post by OMGapotato » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:24 pm

the good:
I liked how the song had contrasting moods between solemn and hopeful/upbeat if that makes sense... Basically i liked how it wasn't just one mood/tone throughout the whole song and you highlighted the solemn and hopeful tones with their respective scenes in the anime. You synced the music well and the video flowed nicely. i also liked how you mostly went through the anime chronologically which is a big plus for me.

a few qualms:
the soft flashes were a bit overused to a point i had to look away because it hurt my eyes staring at it(i watched it in a dark room). even though shirley is a dynamic character, i feel like you could have made a more interesting video with a character such as suzaku. don't get me wrong though. i think shirley fit the video well but she doesn't have nearly as many interesting scenes as the major characters and when you're making a 5 minute video dedicated to such few scenes, it gets a little boring. that's just my opinion.

overall it was a good video.

WiseAnt
Org Profile

Post by WiseAnt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:05 pm

I changed my Op. I never felt 100% about originality so I bumped it up one. After I read mxchibandits comments I realized that the first 16s, though still off(checked in slow-mo), wasn't as bad as I thought. It was a combination of not being perfect and the clips not fitting as well. At the end, when it seems your sync is better, you'll notice that LeLouch is always wearing his royal white costume and is in the same position on the screen for the most part. It helps the brain process the the flashing images better. So I increased action sync one as well. Oh, and this had nothing to do with your opinion for me. Thanks by the way. If anything, you should lower that sound rating on it.

LegendaryEd
Org Profile

Post by LegendaryEd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 am

WiseAnt: I'll consider lowering the rating on sound, and after reading your response I'm thinking I'll probably up the score for effort, considering I may have been a bit unfair. I didn't mean to undermine any work you put into the video, whatsoever. And yeah, I never even thought to consider how Lelouch's position on screen and such would make a huge difference when it comes to how the viewer perceives my sync, but that makes a lot of sense.

OMGapotato: I notice that you've posted another thread with a few of your videos, so I'll watch one and tell you my opinion as soon as I can. Obviously, I can't leave one on the video, but I'll just tell you in here what I thought of it, and that should square it off.

mxchibandit
Org Profile

Post by mxchibandit » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

Think you might have missed my post.

Return to “Works in Progress”