Rendered videos wont play smoothly when put back in Vegas

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
kobuzero
Org Profile

Rendered videos wont play smoothly when put back in Vegas

Post by kobuzero » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I looked around the forum for a bit, and I didn't really find the answer to this question before posting so here it is. After I finish general clip placement and base effects I like to render the video and then do the more complicated effects over the rendered video. But when I drag them into Vegas, they wont play smoothly in the preview window. I have tried setting it on draft and this still doesn't seem to help. I don't have the best graphics card in the world, but it plays most things fairly well, anyone who might be able to help with this? I'm using vegas 9.0, and usualy my files are saved as .wmv and in widescreen.
~ Kobu Zero ~
The Pink Fursuit Apparatus
Zero Productions Website - http://kobuzero.webs.com/

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Rendered videos wont play smoothly when put back in Vega

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 pm

kobuzero wrote:.wmv
Edit in lossless, please ^^

More info here: A&E's Technical Guides to All Things Audio and Video (v3)

kobuzero
Org Profile

Post by kobuzero » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for the link. Its a bit helpfull but doesnt explain exactly why they wont play smoothly in my preview
~ Kobu Zero ~

kobuzero
Org Profile

Post by kobuzero » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Ok so upon further reading on that link I found what you where speaking of, however what exactly is LOSSLESS? The page didnt quite explain that clearly.
~ Kobu Zero ~

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

kobuzero wrote:Ok so upon further reading on that link I found what you where speaking of, however what exactly is LOSSLESS? The page didnt quite explain that clearly.
lossless = every bit of information of the video can be reproduced.

Say, you make a video and then export it as wmv, put it back to the editor, export it as wmv and repeat - and even on high quality settings, you'd lose information and the video would get blurry and pixelated.

On the other hand, if you do the same using lossless codec, all the information to recreate the ORIGINAL picture is in there and can be used by the editor. Even if you repeat, if the editor and codec are good, you will always get the same thing.

Also, usually the editors are optimized for using lossless sources (or rather, the lossless codecs always feed them the full info they need. Some lossy codecs might feed them "enough" - but not all of them and "not always"!) - they work with them better and faster. Using lossy codecs is usually slower and can break virtually anytime for no reason.

Also, even with lossless, you might improve the preview with using RAM preview - Shift + B upon a section. Or look it up in Vegas Help ;x

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”