The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - OFFICIAL RULES

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Re: The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - OFFICIAL RULE

Post by LopezAMV » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 am

Brad wrote:If we get at least 88 but not the full 96, the remaining spots will be placed as blank, and whoever gets seeded against the blank spots gets a by.
Gonna start looking for a voodoo witch doctor.
Brad wrote:When you do your match is entirely up to your and your competitor.
This tickled my insides a little. So it's entirely up to your² competitor?
All the talk about loopholes made me look for one :P

Now with that aside, I actually have a question. How often do people forfeit or simply choose not to edit? As outrageous as it may sound I'd be devastated if my opponent didn't submit an entry (or rather just slightly bummed, a win is a win after all). But yea it would suck to put alot (or a little) bit of effort into something when you really didn't have to. Like you said most of us have lives- given I don't necessarily consider being knee-deep in debt cause of an over-priced college education much of a life- I still would rather spend some of that time reading/studying, or owning noobs on Reach...either way I'd end up a better man. This is the first time I've considered joining one of these things so I have no clue about how often this happens.

Also, are we allowed to use any of the 4 sources that weren't chosen from the previous round for the next one? -Some sources are too good to lose without using them.
I was too busy looking for loopholes that I don't remember reading it in the rules :)
Last edited by LopezAMV on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

LopezAMV wrote:
Brad wrote:When you do your match is entirely up to your and your competitor.
This tickled my insides a little. So it's entirely up to your² competitor?
All the talk about loopholes made me look for one :P

Now with that aside, I actually have a question. How often do people forfeit or simply choose not to edit? As outrageous as it may sound I'd be devastated if my opponent didn't submit an entry (or rather just slightly bummed, a win is a win after all). But yea it would suck to put alot (or a little) bit of effort into something when you really didn't have to. This is the first time I've considered joining one of these things so I have no clue about how often this happens.
Fixed the typo :P

As far as people bowing out, it did happen, but honestly not very often. If we do end up getting an excess of people wanting to sign-up I will have an alternates list. So for the first round if people decide they just can't do it (or don't want to anymore) I will take them out and fill their spot. But hopefully we won't have to worry about that too much.
LopezAMV wrote:Also, are we allowed to use any of the 4 sources that weren't chosen from the previous round for the next one? -Some sources are too good to lose without using them.
I was too busy looking for loopholes that I don't remember reading it in the rules :)
It's in there (sort of). You can definitely carry the unused sources over to the next round. I didn't spell it out like that but I did say that you can't re-use the source you ended up getting for the actual video.
Last edited by Brad on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Post by LopezAMV » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:32 am

Brad wrote: As far as people bowing out, it did happen, but honestly not very often. If we do end up getting an excess of people wanting to sign-up I will have an alternates list. So for the first round if people decide they just can't do it (or don't want to anymore) I will take them out and fill their spot. But hopefully we won't have to worry about that too much.
That's good to know, thanks. I edited my post and added a second question, so if you can answer that one as well that'd be super :D

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:34 am

A question on sources' episode counts: what about series where an episode is significantly shorter than the standard half-hour, like DiGi Charat or Chi's Sweet Home, which were something like 3 minutes each? Would we be allowed an increase in count to come up with the approx. 150 minutes of footage, or be limited to the 15 or so minutes that five episodes would give us?

LopezAMV
Org Profile

Post by LopezAMV » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 am

Brad wrote: It's in there (sort of). You can definitely carry the unused sources over to the next round. I didn't spell it out like that but I did say that you can't re-use the source you ended up getting for the actual video.
Great, it's good to know I'll be able to save Champloo and/or Evangelion for a rainy day (given I make it past the first round lol).

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:49 am

LantisEscudo wrote:A question on sources' episode counts: what about series where an episode is significantly shorter than the standard half-hour, like DiGi Charat or Chi's Sweet Home, which were something like 3 minutes each? Would we be allowed an increase in count to come up with the approx. 150 minutes of footage, or be limited to the 15 or so minutes that five episodes would give us?
I think we're just gonna have to look at that on a case by case basis. 99% of the time we'll be dealing with 5 22 minute long episodes. It's tough to say "use 90-120 minutes of footage" because then what about games that only have like 20-30 minutes of footage or shorter films like Voices of a Distant Star. It's a slippery slope that just tends to make things more complicated. As far as the sources in question, I really don't know. How many episodes of those appear on the DVDs?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 am

My travel plans got pushed back a bit further than I had initially though - Should be able to do this and get knocked out early on like every other time before I have to worry about not being around. Can't go around disappointing that rule set - it looks like it was made for me. :awesome:

I gotta say, I like the 5 episode rule in theory - gotta see how it plays out. Being able to weed out stretches of boring or useless material is a plus.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:28 am

Otters
Need
Everyone
To
Imitate
Mice
Eloquently
!!!!!
!?

Why the delay Brad? Everyone knows all you've ever had to do is press the big "Start Tournament" button and the rest of the process is automated. Don't lie to us, I can see it from where I'm sitting.

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Post by Neverend » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am

I really like the judges, and i think this will go on well!

My concern is though the part with the timezones, as its around 7 hours in difference from here to the states..
So the day apart thing might be something that il have to do...

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am

I use an decrepit G5 mac that can take an hour plus to export. Is that ok?

Return to “The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0”