Premier CS3 audio cuts out

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Premier CS3 audio cuts out

Post by Pwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:06 pm

ngsilver wrote:At first things were hopeful... however after doing some work on my video the audio drop started happening again. Read speeds don't seem to be the issue here and I'm at a loss. Anyone else seen this issue before or have any clue what it is?
have you updated directx at all? also, have you tried anything other then picvideo for the preview codec? like dv?

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Clearly read speeds can't be at fault in this case, given that you don't have any problem with video and you haven't had this problem before upgrading to Win7. I would suggest you to update Win7 (if you didn't up to this moment).
This happens with all audio as well, right? Check with other format, if it fails in the same parts of the track (although I read randomly over there) or others things you could rule out to help determining the problem. Also, this could be naive from my part, but there isn't any chance an antivirus software is bothering the preview process as well?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 pm

does this happen only when you render the preview or anytime you just let it play?

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 am

As far as anti-virus goes, I wouldn't expect that would be the cause, however I haven't gone anti-virus free since I moved to Win7. I used MS Security Essentials (cuz' it's free and works well imo, not that I need it for much) and used it on XP as well. Windows is up-to-date.

As for audio, I don't like to use other formats when editing, but I have tested with mp3 audio and it also will reflect this error. It isn't the same spots in the song as the spots this happens changes between play throughs, even when I start at the same spot or different spots in the time line. I've tried listening for a pattern, but I can't pick one out other then it happens about every 2~5 secs.

As for directx, I think I've updated it. I know I installed a version when I put the new GPU in that supported DX11. I'll check on that.

I don't remember using preview without rendering at least some parts of the timeline, as sync would start to fail after a few seconds without rendering. Though I think I'll give it a shot tonight after work to see. Also, I'll see about switching to perhaps utvideo as the render codec (hopefully there's enough space on the scratch disk for that.)

So yeah, I'll give both of those a shot and see what happens.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Haven't updated DX yet, but I've been testing without rendering the timeline and thanks to the drive and the speedyness of utvideo I'm not getting any sync failures. I've also tried to pre-render with utvideo and that also seems to be working well.

I've kind of been suspecting the audio render actually. Since before the video renders it renders peaks for the audio and for some reason once that happens audio seems to die out, but when I delete those files I don't have a problem.

Either way, I think, at least in my preliminary testing, that it was picvideo causing the issue. Not really sure why something that has never been a problem is suddenly giving me one, but it is an old codec designed to be used with smaller HDs. Grant it, my SSD for editing is only 80Gbs in size so I need to watch it (my source on that drive for Dance 7 is totaling 55Gigs as it is) but I think that may have been the solution. I'm planning on finishing up the video tonight so I'll continue to test while this is going on and report my findings after.

Hopefully, we found the issue. Thanks for the ideas.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 am

So after more testing, it seems that it is only happening when I render the preview for the timeline. Doesn't matter what codec I use. I have removed the video preview files and left the audio peak files, which reproduced the issue. However when I remove the peak files the issue doesn't show up.

So it seems like it's the audio render that is the cause. Though it seems to only crop up after I render the audio once, but then make changes. Since the audio render doesn't change it may be old preview files causing this. For the most part I can work without preview, though a few spots in this vid right now it'd be nice to render that part of the timeline beforehand...

I've been planning on upgrading to CS5 for a while. So for the time being I think I've found a workable work around. If I come across other fixes I'll let ya'll know in case anyone else gets this issue. Thanks for the help guys.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Adobe Software”