Opinion Exchange [Short Beta For Opinion]

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Opinion Exchange [Short Beta For Opinion]

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Ok guys, I'm feeling slightly strange about a video I'm working on. More or less, the opening, which is the essential foundation for the rest of the video. As such, I want feedback/understanding about it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/886blr

For those that:

1) Tell me what you think the "backstory" of the AMV is, based on only the first 14 seconds of this video. Interpretation based on only on the scenes. NOT the anime itself.
2) How you think the hard cuts meld with the AMV. Its my first time beat syncing with drama, so I'd like some feedback/suggestions regarding that.
3) Overall feeling as an "opening". This is generally the hardest part of the AMV for me to get right.

Please answer these three questions by posting in this thread. Once your opinions have been posted, I will post your opinion. The quality of the opinion I receive will reflect the quality of the one you receive.

It may seem silly to get feedback on just 14 seconds of video, but it's essentially the flow that the rest of the video will mimic and have. So getting the first part is important to the consistency.

Plus, you're getting an opinion for little to no work. ;)

EDIT: Max of only 10 opinions, please and thank you.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Re: Opinion Exchange [Short Beta For Opinion]

Post by AimoAio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

1) Um....because it's only 14 seconds, I'm kinda getting LOTS of different stories from it but the main vibe I'm getting is that the main character used to play for a team but for some reason he was uh..chucked off(due to bad performance maybes?) and now he's not sure if he's able to play well, that and it seems like he has some issues with making friends/getting people to accept him previously and now someone is so nice to him, he doesn't know how to react? :uhoh:

2)I like them :D Though I think for some parts where the beat slows down and fades out, you could use a fade out to black there too.

3)Uh...well I feel like it's going to be an interesting video that I would watch? If that's any help. :rofl:

Oh and the more I replay it, the more I'm liking it. :asd: And the song too. <3 I WANT MOARZ.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 pm

AimoAio wrote:1) Um....because it's only 14 seconds, I'm kinda getting LOTS of different stories from it but the main vibe I'm getting is that the main character used to play for a team but for some reason he was uh..chucked off(due to bad performance maybes?) and now he's not sure if he's able to play well, that and it seems like he has some issues with making friends/getting people to accept him previously and now someone is so nice to him, he doesn't know how to react? :uhoh:

2)I like them :D Though I think for some parts where the beat slows down and fades out, you could use a fade out to black there too.

3)Uh...well I feel like it's going to be an interesting video that I would watch? If that's any help. :rofl:

Oh and the more I replay it, the more I'm liking it. :asd: And the song too. <3 I WANT MOARZ.
Thanks for the feedback! You forgot to post which video you wanted an opinion for! :D

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:26 pm

1) I sort of feel like there could be a couple things going on. Firstly, I feel when watching this that the one boy somehow feels out of place, or something happened and so he doesn't feel worthy anymore to play baseball. What happened, that I don't know the Team Shirt that had a Number One on it, could be either his old number maybe. Or maybe there was someone else in his family who played, and died. And so the blond boy has to play in his shadow. Secondly, the blond boy is getting his strength from his close friend to keep trying and keep playing. Seems like they may like each other, or maybe they are just a bunch of boys who are afraid of each others touch not sure. But the black haired boy really wants his friend to keep trying, and not to give up.

2) I personally don't like them. I sort of feel though while they go good with the beats, and the mood, it also takes away from the atmosphere and emotion that could be in there way more. Especially with the scenes from: 06-08. Plus everything between the two boys goes by a little fast. I am not sure if you could pick different scenes, or maybe make a couple last a little longer to change the pass up a bit. So I don't feel like theres a face, a head, hands, then face again. More so, so I could get absorbed into it. Example: Have the one face blink his eyes just so the scene goes alittle longer, so I can take it in, before the next scene comes. So you can take what he is feeling in that scene.

I did really like the movement of them swinging their hands up, I would defintely keep that in, I thought that brought a great change in pass, and drew me in at the same time.

3) Was abrupt. I didn't understand why you started off with him lying in bed, then the boys sleeping around him, then going off into the scene where he is crying right after. It just didn't match to me, because its like he was lying there thinking, then all of a sudden he is outside crying. I think instead it would look nicer with maybe scenery from outside where the boys are before you show the blond boy crying. Or if you want to start it off that way, have a little more, so we can understand what that has to do with the story. Because otherwise the beginning just looks not only abrupt but also random.

I think overall its going really good. I think the start of course needs a little more, but for the first 14 seconds I can gather what I hope is going on, or at least the story. I do like that you brought in that little black/white scenes to bring us into the "whats happened"' Makes me wonder what really deeply could have happened. If there is more depth to this than we actually can see.

Hope this helps :3 Can't wait to see it when its finished!

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Thank you very much chained! That actually helps quite a bit. I think I'll edit in two different styles. Once in a beat sync style and then once in my own natural style. Then I can compare and see which is more that I AND the audience prefer.

Again, you forgot what video you want me to review/opinion. :D

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Thank you very much chained! That actually helps quite a bit. I think I'll edit in two different styles. Once in a beat sync style and then once in my own natural style. Then I can compare and see which is more that I AND the audience prefer.

Again, you forgot what video you want me to review/opinion. :D

Your welcome :3
Not sure which video to post D: Not much to pick from ^_^

=D
Thank you too :3

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am

Think you've already OP'd most of my vids already. :rofl: How about a favourite of mines instead? :mrgreen:

Though I should warn you it has spoilers for the anime....so maybe you should watch the anime first before OP'ing it. ;)

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 am

1) I couldn't reall interpret much. My main guess is the main character is rejected by his teammates, and he finds a friend that tries to help him prove them wrong. Or it's just a main theme of of overcoming your obstacles.
2) They work perfectly fine for me. The sync is good. I prefer them anyways since crossfades are suckish.
3) Depends on what you mean by feeling. It def. gives a feeling of rejection. As for the first 2 seconds or so when he is lying in bed, if you are going for a drama feeling, the kind of facial expression there just felt awkward imo. I also see the potential of it being a drama that is overcome at the end of the video.

Feel free to op anyone of my amvs from 2010.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 am

Ok then. ;)

Thread closed from here on out. :D

Return to “Works in Progress”