POKEMON

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Re: POKEMON

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 am

fuck i've put in 12 hours already into White.

@_@
it's kept me up for the past 3 nights

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 am

AaronAMV wrote:fuck i've put in 12 hours already into White.

@_@
it's kept me up for the past 3 nights
I'm well past 20 hours, don't worry about yourself.

-----

Anyway, here's the thing about pokémon, for all of the haters.
If nintendo entirely changed the formula, would it really be a sequel to the main series, or would it feel like a spin-off? Say pokémon ranger, they did many different things, however, the formula is very different, and it is just treated as a spin-off, which I'm sure it is.

But let's say the next pokémon in the main series is to have a different way of gameplay. Like, pokémon don't appear at random in the grass, but you can see them roaming around, battles are a smash bros-esque thing, and you don't really have experience points to level up anymore.

Would you really say that it would be a good thing? It could prolly be a very cool game, but would it really feel like a pokémon game? In order for it to have the real pokémon game feel, the core mechanic has to be the same.
That is, you can't really change how the battles are turn based, how you get badges and stuff, have to catch and hatch and train pokémon, etc.
That's just what the game is about.
People generally say that they did cool things with the new types and hatching in G/S/C and nothing really relevent after that, but I would not agree. They did less noticeable changes, perhaps, so that's why people say that.

Anyway, what they can do and they did do is apport improvements, polishments, and innovations to that core mechanic.

So you now realize that in B/W, for the first time, the first Gym is actually thought out so people realize that they just can't only train their starter pokémon and leave the rest of the team behind. Like all you kids liked and used to do in R/B/Y, right?

You now realize that in B/W NPCs actively encourage you to go catch the pokémons near the city of the gym, which are curiously of the exact type you need to beat the gym leader and wind up making a calibrated team with proper pokémons, so you are never in a situation where you have to beat a gym leader with hardly any pokémon that you can catch which would be of the strong type against the gym leader and at a proper level to do so.
Does anybody remember how ridiculously badly thought out Brock was in Yellow (but actually in Red and Blue too, if you didn't pick Squirtle or Bulbasaur)?
You couldn't catch any pokémon of a type of advantage against Brock, so they were encouraging the players to just train one of their pokémon a lot, and win like that. Yellow was even more ridiculous because you could catch Mankey in Route 3, but you couldn't get there until after defeating Brock. To not say, of course, on the more obvious and well known type balance herpderp with psychic pokémon...

You now realize that introducing new pokéballs isn't just for aesthetics, but actually is needed to make the catching more than just a "throw an ultra ball and hope it gets in" but actually a "what ball would be the most effective with this pokémon in this situation".

You now realize that R/S/E was like a whole different game from G/S/C due to the many new things introduced (abilities, natures, double battles) and the incredible polishment on the things that were previously added but not quite thought out nearly as much (EVs and IVs mainly, and how shinies appear too, I guess), D/P/Pt was the worst pokémon in a while but introduced that very cool thing about moves of all kinds that can be Physical or Special, and B/W actually took all this and added the triple battles and rotation battles.
You now realize that adding new pokémon isn't just the fancy thing to say LOL MOAR POKéMON but is actually a necessary step in order to improve the gameplay: new abilities, type and base stats combinations, and moves make for a more balanced and interestingly broader set of possible choices and teams to build.

TL;DR: You now realize that if you think that pokémon has been the same game for 12 years, you're just being closed-minded.

PS: I now realize that holy shit I wrote a wall of text about Pokémon, something is very wrong about this... :uhoh:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 am

I had blue back in the day - until my gameboy broke. That sucked. :dino:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Amazon delivered White to me \o/

I have an adorable grass snake. I need to recatch my puppy and chipmunk though. Fail on me for thinking I saved >_<

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 am

gotegenks wrote: also, the fact that there aren't any old pokemon in the main campaign gives it a totally fresh feel which hasn't been felt since you first picked up red blue or yellow (or in your case, gold/silver)
This is probably my favorite part about the games. I do kinda miss the old faves, but I'll be able to transfer them over after I beta the game, so it's ok. I do hope the next gens keep this tradition, maybe with the exception of bringing back older poke's for new evos [As long as they dont pull a Magmortar and Electvire...]

I'm really enjoying White so far, the battles seem very streamlined, and Im digging the animations. And the evil orginization ACTUALLY HAS A GOOD PLOT. This may very well bump Silver from it's #1 spot.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:
gotegenks wrote: also, the fact that there aren't any old pokemon in the main campaign gives it a totally fresh feel which hasn't been felt since you first picked up red blue or yellow (or in your case, gold/silver)
This is probably my favorite part about the games. I do kinda miss the old faves, but I'll be able to transfer them over after I beta the game, so it's ok. I do hope the next gens keep this tradition, maybe with the exception of bringing back older poke's for new evos [As long as they dont pull a Magmortar and Electvire...]

I'm really enjoying White so far, the battles seem very streamlined, and Im digging the animations. And the evil orginization ACTUALLY HAS A GOOD PLOT. This may very well bump Silver from it's #1 spot.

Yes. I actually feel like I'm playing a new game instead of just the same game with a new map.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:08 am

Loving the game. Good times, pretty graphics...and I totally agree. I've played all of the old Pokemanz and it really does feel like a totally new game.

Only thing I don't like: 95% of the new Pokemon are fugly (in my opinion of course)
Makes it veeery difficult to pick out a team >.>

Kaream
Org Profile

Post by Kaream » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 am

...Pokemon?
I stopped playing it, 12 years ago..

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:04 am

B/W

are amazing

j/s

(and I hated Diamond and Pearl)
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Jwalk0
Org Profile

Post by Jwalk0 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Only thing I don't like: 95% of the new Pokemon are fugly (in my opinion of course)
Makes it veeery difficult to pick out a team >.>
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Picked up Black Wednesday nite and am absolutely luvin almost everything about it, I feel hardly any attachment to these newer Pokemon. Can't wait to carry over my teams from Yellow, Silver and Crystal after I beat it. 20 hours in and so far it's pretty boss and like the plot as well, first time in a Pokemon game that I have to side with the bad guys' opinions over the good guys. Feels nostalgic to get back in the loop after a decade. Really does.
"Someday humankind will come to understand one another! I sincerely believe that!" Fei Fong Wong
"We live to make the impossible possible! That is our Focus!" Claire 'Lightning' Farron
"Believe in yourself, and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." Toonami

The Lord Jesus Christ is the only way.
Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”