Winners posted!

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Re: We have two ties!

Post by NS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 am

Epic of griffith isn't in the tie for storytelling? Wtf.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 am

I just woke up and what is this? :dino:

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

NS wrote:Epic of griffith isn't in the tie for storytelling? Wtf.
actually im not surprised, for my is not a storytelling amv, more like lyrical sync, just take it this way, if you turn off the volume, you won´t understand a sh*t of it :| , but is just my perspective :up:

and I voted mirkosp, thanks to him I learned to use vdub :)
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 am

Ikore wrote: for my is not a storytelling amv, more like lyrical sync, just take it this way, if you turn off the volume, you won´t understand a sh*t of it :|
This reasoning is wrong.

Let's take a look at another visual story telling medium.
Movies.

Unlike AMVs movies have scenes specifically shot and edited in order to compliment the story of the movie.
However, many movies also would not make a lick of sense if you turned the volume off. Does this mean they have bad storytelling? No. That would be stupid. It means it uses a COMBINATION of both audio and visual to tell a story.

Let's take for example, A Christmas story. It is a classic Christmas tale of Ralphie, who want's a red rider BB gun for christmas but everyone keeps telling him he won't get one because he'll shoot his eye out. However, I would not have understood what was going on at all if I could not hear the Narrator of the film connecting it all together.
Big fish was an excellent story, perfectly combining visual aspects, Dialogue, and narration, but if I had it on mute I would think it was the most dreadful incomprehensible thing I have ever seen.
Stand by me, yet another great example.

If we compare these to a film like Commando,
Yes I can understand commando without the volume. Because the story of commando is "They took Arnold Schwarzenegger's Daughter." That is the whole story.

But your reasoning seems to indicate that Commando is better at story telling, because it is so simple i can tell what is going on without audio.

This to me seems faulty.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 am

I also realize that whatever I type now doesn't make any difference for reggie's video, but hopefully it might change at least one attitude towards these things for the future.

Muting audio on a medium that is meant to combine audio and visual elements to determine effectiveness in storytelling is dumb.
It would be like turning the TV off when watching Airplane and only listening to the audio and wondering why it isn't as funny as everyone says.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I also realize that whatever I type now doesn't make any difference for reggie's video, but hopefully it might change at least one attitude towards these things for the future.

Muting audio on a medium that is meant to combine audio and visual elements to determine effectiveness in storytelling is dumb.
It would be like turning the TV off when watching Airplane and only listening to the audio and wondering why it isn't as funny as everyone says.

But that would be how funny it is, not how well it tells a story, so that's not even a valid example.

Anyway, if something tells a story well enough that you can understand it without audio, then that is impressive, but it should not be the sole deciding factor.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 am

Ileia wrote:
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I also realize that whatever I type now doesn't make any difference for reggie's video, but hopefully it might change at least one attitude towards these things for the future.

But that would be how funny it is, not how well it tells a story, so that's not even a valid example.

Anyway, if something tells a story well enough that you can understand it without audio, then that is impressive, but it should not be the sole deciding factor.
Yes this is what I meant.

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:Muting audio on a medium that is meant to combine audio and visual elements to determine effectiveness in storytelling is dumb.
ask chaplin.

muting audio is for me an excellent way to check storytelling, if you do it with a movie and regardless the lack of script, you can understand the story, that´s great and valuable in cinematographic lenguage, as an example with Aggressor´s , you really don´t need the song for the amv to be understandable and to get the whole idea and that´s not simple or dumb, it´s just the value of image, like an actor who can tell you all the feelings just by his expressions, so that´s the 7th art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7syeomwZbk

you can have a narrator but if people could get the idea without a narrator, that clearly speak best to me, you can combine both source audio and video, but it would be better if each one is indepent and expressive by its own, and that´s why so many movies SUCKS!... and the fact there are no more commercial films with sad/tragic endings, *some movies are sad and depressive but just for how bad they sucks and the time you waste with them, but I won´t get deeper.
Ileia wrote:Anyway, if something tells a story well enough that you can understand it without audio, then that is impressive, but it should not be the sole deciding factor.
|:> but it is the way I like to do it :P
SING! Never mind the words!!!

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Still, Reggie's vid didn't deserve to enter into finals so well ._.
I seriously don't understand why this vid has so much succes.

Don't think I have something against Reggie, I really like his FF vid but the Gilgamesh one... ^^"

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

It wasn't in the finals...

Return to “2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”