The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote: Okay, you're right. Before we get into a debate about likes and dislikes and what makes the lulz and what doesn't, we should curb this and go back to my original assertion. Which is that based solely on the fact that my husband is awesome and makes fantastic videos, his is the bestest parody vid in the category and should win and if you don't vote for it you're all poopypants. :awesome:
Most definitely. Your husband made a fantastic video which SHOULD win. It's hands down the best parody in the category, and does the best job of defining the parody genre. I'm just an ex-literary major that loves to argue the finer details of some of the best aspects of literature and intergrate them into AMVs. More or less, EAOEM was probably one of my more favorite videos of the year, and I just wanted to defend it. xD
Oh, I'm a HUGE fan of semantics and the arguments thereof. I recognized a similar affection for this sort of stuff in your replies, which is why I figured it was best for everybody to put the kibosh on things now.

:bzz2: A VOTE FOR BONKLERS IS A VOTE FOR SEMANTICS :bzz:
Last edited by CorpseGoddess on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Explain to me in detail how EAOEM isn't a parody.

A parody AMV is [ideally] something created as a means to mock/comment/ridicule the oirigin.
... by means of imitation and exaggeration.

How you do it makes it parody, satire, trope, etc. It's a very specific sub-genre of comedy. So specific that I think EvaFan made a good point - there aren't enough good videos to qualify it as a category most years.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:58 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Explain to me in detail how EAOEM isn't a parody.
It's already been said several times, but the definition of a parody is a work that emulates and exaggerates whatever it's based on. Notice the reason doesn't matter. Yes, parody often is used for humor, commentary, or ridicule. But that's not a requirement and just because something is funny, makes commentary, or ridicules doesn't automatically mean it's a parody. Look at it this way, documentaries often make lots of commentary on their subject, does this mean that every documentary that has ever been made is a parody? No, because most don't emulate or exaggerate what they're based on.

Now, EAOEM does not emulate anime openings. It *IS* anime openings.

EAOEM also does not exaggerate anime openings. It shows what is already there with no exaggeration at all. The entire point of the video is 'Here's several examples of this common thing'. Exaggerating it would defeat that entire point.

Now, if EAOEM had taken those common traits of anime openings and presented them in a way that put them way, way over the top then it would have been parody. But that's not what it did. What EAOEM did was a list of tropes, done for the purpose of humor and commentary. It's not a parody for pretty much the same reason a civil war documentary or Chris Rock are not parodies. It takes more than just being funny or making a comment to be parody.

Sorry to contribute to this derailing of the thread, but comedy is serious business. We should all just be happy that there isn't a 'Most Ironic' award to argue over.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Hmm... I honestly counted the "here are 12 scenes of people running aimlessles in the breeze" as an exaggeration. :sweat:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

I also consider it a parody, based on my interpretation - I see it as a footage from a bunch of different anime openings passed off as it was a single opening sequence, just for every anime ever made instead of one single anime. In that interpretation, that is definitely a textbook parody.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 pm

EvaFan wrote:Lastly, this shit is the reason I hate VCAs.
You know, this is actually the most civil well thought out, best discussed dialogue I have EVER seen in my years watching the VCAs.

I'm not sure why discussions about music videos and the categories of a contest would make you hate that contest, but whatever not mine to judge.
Otohiko wrote:I also consider it a parody, based on my interpretation - I see it as a footage from a bunch of different anime openings passed off as it was a single opening sequence, just for every anime ever made instead of one single anime. In that interpretation, that is definitely a textbook parody.
I can see bot side really, I guess it depends on how you look at it.
If EAOEM was just a list of things, then no not really, I wouldn't see it as a parody.
If EAOEM was actually using the other openings to make one single opening. (except exaggerating it to mock it) then it is.

However based on it's presentation, I would have to side with the former rather than the latter.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Its funny how this is one of the few VCA threads that are still getting active posts. Since there doesn't seem to be anything else to talk about, that's probably why so many people are joining this conversation. But at this point, just about every viewpoint has been discussed, commented on and thoroughly examined.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Vote Pooperpolecat or you're a purplepants.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Dr. Faux Pas wrote:Vote Pooperpolecat or you're a purplepants.
w00t! New nickname for hubby! :awesome:

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Yea I'd consider my video more a satire. There isn't a category for that though so meh.
Not much you can do about it. Heck I won a contest this year for a category I didn't feel matched, but whatever. You can't control the ignorant masses.

Return to “2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”