JCAs 2011 - Results in on page 6!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: JCAs - Judges aboard, final voting!

Post by Otohiko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

Being the first one to complete the ballot, I nominate myself for Most Original Judge :dino: :bzz2:

Good stuff! As unattractive as sitting through hours and hours (and hours and hours) of videos might sound, it was actually extremely enjoyable for me this year. Part of it was having another judge watch it with me, but a lot of it was just the videos. I've done this a couple of times before, and I have to say that this year the selection of videos for MOST (not all) categories was really really solid, and there were many gems in the VCA/JCA semis with very few weak videos. Subjectively, I have to say this felt like the best year since 2006, in terms of the overall quality, variety and enjoyment factor of the videos that made it in. Thanks video editors, I'd totally watch this much stuff again, if it's of the same quality.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm

I finished my voting this afternoon, and I got to say that it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in terms of reviewing AMVs. I'm currently in the process of typing my comments on the top 3 in every category, and they honestly could have been re-arranged in ANY order and wouldn't surprise me the results. The differences in my scoring system was probably by decimal amounts had I given them a mathematical equation to determine.

Drama, Collab, Sentimental... Those were the hardest for me. We had entirely fantastic videos in each of these categories and Nya watched all the judges SUFFER on those. Anybody nominated/scored in these videos should be very proud of themselves. They did a fantastic job. :up:

I found... SO MANY fantastic gems that I missed throughout the year. I really wish that the Russian/French editors would announce/pimp their videos more effectively around here. That, or I need a foreign editor to keep me in the loop on these things!

I'd also like to say that Cross/Fade and Ileia should BOTH be given meritorious medals of honor for this year and share "Editor of the Year". Both had extremely wide arrays of videos in different genres and styles, and all of them were enjoyable. Let's hear it for them. |:> [AND I BETTER SEE BOTH OF YOU IN PROJECT ORGEDITOR THIS YEAR OR I WILL SICK THE DINOSAUR SHARKS ON YOU!]

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 pm

CodeZTM wrote:I finished my voting this afternoon, and I got to say that it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in terms of reviewing AMVs. I'm currently in the process of typing my comments on the top 3 in every category, and they honestly could have been re-arranged in ANY order and wouldn't surprise me the results. The differences in my scoring system was probably by decimal amounts had I given them a mathematical equation to determine.

Drama, Collab, Sentimental... Those were the hardest for me. We had entirely fantastic videos in each of these categories and Nya watched all the judges SUFFER on those. Anybody nominated/scored in these videos should be very proud of themselves. They did a fantastic job. :up:

I found... SO MANY fantastic gems that I missed throughout the year. I really wish that the Russian/French editors would announce/pimp their videos more effectively around here. That, or I need a foreign editor to keep me in the loop on these things!

I'd also like to say that Cross/Fade and Ileia should BOTH be given meritorious medals of honor for this year and share "Editor of the Year". Both had extremely wide arrays of videos in different genres and styles, and all of them were enjoyable. Let's hear it for them. |:> [AND I BETTER SEE BOTH OF YOU IN PROJECT ORGEDITOR THIS YEAR OR I WILL SICK THE DINOSAUR SHARKS ON YOU!]
I agree with Code, it was a fantastic look though all these videos.
There were so many great videos, it was very difficult to judge some of them, a real strict interpretation of the different category intentions was one of the only things I had that could narrow it down. But everyone that has a video in here (including all the judges) should be congradulated.

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:41 am

Guys, your feedback is very enjoying and appreciable to read. :up:
I am really impatient to see your judgement next week ;)
CodeZTM wrote:I really wish that the Russian/French editors would announce/pimp their videos more effectively around here. That, or I need a foreign editor to keep me in the loop on these things!
I support that but unfortunately, a lot of foreign editors don't post on org forum because of a lack of english knowledges (I suppose) or they are just not so interested by org. And even if they do it, they are not really known by the org community and their thread disappear quite quickly wuithout a lot of comments. :cry:

Lirinis
Org Profile

Post by Lirinis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 am

CodeZTM wrote: I really wish that the Russian/French editors would announce/pimp their videos more effectively around here. That, or I need a foreign editor to keep me in the loop on these things!
A multilanguage interface would really increase involvement. Trashing category names would not. Having JCAs on the forums only in a "pm me" way is a real stopper, nobody even understands the rules. Although I don't think you'd like to have people you never heard about as judges anyway.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 am

Lirinis wrote:
CodeZTM wrote: I really wish that the Russian/French editors would announce/pimp their videos more effectively around here. That, or I need a foreign editor to keep me in the loop on these things!
A multilanguage interface would really increase involvement. Trashing category names would not. Having JCAs on the forums only in a "pm me" way is a real stopper, nobody even understands the rules. Although I don't think you'd like to have people you never heard about as judges anyway.
Actually, the judges were voted this year by community and nobody from French/Russian community made it - I would've loved to see wider insight, to be honest ^^ I am even considering international judges the next year for real (like one from about seven countries).

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 am

Lirinis wrote: Although I don't think you'd like to have people you never heard about as judges anyway.
In a certain way I can understand that users vote for persons who are very implicated in the "org life". Ant these people use to comment a lot of videos. I can understand "org foreigners" don't get a vote if they don't participate to the org life despite the fact they arve very active on their community.
The best example I have is S.A Robert who is doing a lot of comments on Org and Amvnews. But maybe he need to be more on IRC :roll:
Nya-chan Production wrote:Actually, the judges were voted this year by community and nobody from French/Russian community made it - I would've loved to see wider insight, to be honest ^^ I am even considering international judges the next year for real (like one from about seven countries).

I actually didn't vote :oops: but I don't know enough org community to do it. But there is already one foreigner in the jury (Kosmit is polish IIRC). But I suppose he's more often on org than the polish website ?
For french, russian and spanish communities, I suppose they don't take part in this vote because they already have big forums/communities (Amvnews/Akross, AMV-france, Zona-AMV) and doesn't know enough org people (and don't come on org).
It's maybe just one of the factors which could explain all of this situation.

But yeah maybe a pm system is not the best system to choose judges. The JCA (judges voting) could maybe implemented on the org mainpage during the VCA event ? Or maybe Org prefer to split clearly VCA and JCA ?

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am

Snowcrash wrote:I actually didn't vote :oops: but I don't know enough org community to do it. But there is already one foreigner in the jury (Kosmit is polish IIRC). But I suppose he's more often on org than the polish website ?
Yup, I'm Polish. And I do spend more time here than on the polish amv.com.pl even though I'm an admin there. The reason for that is simple - the polish AMV community is really small, so not much is happening there :sweat:

Too bad no one from the French community made it. I personally would've loved to see either Snowcrash or MimS among the JCA judges. The Russians could also use a representative (like Aggressor or SA Robert), but fortunately for them, I visit amvnews regularly and know what's going on there more or less. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about french, italian, spanish or even hungarian communities. Language barrier and all that :/

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 am

Technically the JCA is handled by the users and not by the .org itself, the fact that it's being organized by Nya, which happens to be an org mod, is just a coincidence, as it initially was handled by Koopiskeva (IIRC...) and then by godix.
Since it has its own value and is tied to the VCAs, it has its space here, but I think the fact that it's meant to be a contest organized by users and not by the org is the reason why it's not been implemented in the VCA voting yet.
As for foreign judges, there have been at least a few, though you can say they were all clearly recognized on the .org and active in the .org community... and possibly IRC channel too, as you suggested. :bzz2:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Oh there is definitely a Russian among the judges this year. Just because I only lurk around AMVnews and AKROSS and usually don't post doesn't make me any less Russian >__>

However I agree with Lirinis, a multi-language interface would be very helpful, especially for things on the site that already draw a big international audience (like the VCA).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “AMV Contests”