2011 VCAs - Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Feedback

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: 2011 VCAs - Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Feedb

Post by godix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Due to pending star requirement issues, this video is receiving a star rating without yet being watched. If you do not agree with this, please make your frustration with how this process is handled for high volume times such as the VCAs known.
A QC I got. Which made me laugh, then go 'Hmmm, for VCA time they probably have a valid point...'

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am

godix wrote:
Due to pending star requirement issues, this video is receiving a star rating without yet being watched. If you do not agree with this, please make your frustration with how this process is handled for high volume times such as the VCAs known.
A QC I got. Which made me laugh, then go 'Hmmm, for VCA time they probably have a valid point...'
I got that QC as well, but I don't really understand it. Is he/she saying that people are downloading AMVs, not watching, but still giving them a star rating. If that's true, how would you know? And how would you stop it?

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 am

kireblue wrote:
godix wrote:
I got that QC as well, but I don't really understand it. Is he/she saying that people are downloading AMVs, not watching, but still giving them a star rating. If that's true, how would you know? And how would you stop it?
What the QC is saying is that the person is downloading every AMV in the semifinals. And they have to stop every 10 vids and give a star rating or the org won't let them download more. So they give videos ratings without having seen them yet, just so they can download the rest of the VCA vids.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 am

If the short video category comes back next year, the voting page should only list the videos that meet the length requirements. Picking out 60 second long videos out of a list of thousands is kinda hard. I could only remember a few off the top of my head, so I only nominated about 4 or 5 videos.

In terms of the video star rating rating, didn't it get lifted last year during the VCAs?

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:53 pm

In addition to the star rating issue;

Can I point out that a number of people don't know where to find the voting page?

Maybe that link could be the primary focus of the VCA page instead of tucked inside a little sidebar under 'nominate,' which should probably be changed to say VOTE HERE OMG or some such.

In fact, most of the info on the VCA page is probably better suited to a sidebar format. Personally the only thing I'm interested in inside the main window is the calendar, which is at the bottom.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:35 am

Moonlight Soldier wrote:Maybe that link could be the primary focus of the VCA page instead of tucked inside a little sidebar under 'nominate,' which should probably be changed to say VOTE HERE OMG or some such.

In fact, most of the info on the VCA page is probably better suited to a sidebar format. Personally the only thing I'm interested in inside the main window is the calendar, which is at the bottom.
This.

Another issues with the current layout, if you're in a specific category to nominate there is no link back to the category selection. If you want to go back and nominate in a different category, you either have to hit the back button, go through the contest section of the members menu, or go through the FP/forum link to it.

Although given that things are already going, probably not worth the effort to change it now. Just an issue to consider before next years VCAs

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 pm

The category titles were cute when I knew what they were referring to. Now, I just don't know what I'm voting for. :(

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:26 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:If you think of it as "disqualification is punishment for breaking the rules" it might make more sense. Trash data makes a video ineligible for this contest, yes, but putting the trash data in there in the first place is a no-no, and getting DQd from the VCAs is the stick to make sure you don't do it. It also stays with you year after year. If you don't make the corrections, you never get to participate. :shark:
"Unknown" IS available as a source for audio when you enter a video, so maybe entering that should NOT be possible since doing so is "breaking the rules" - though it's strange that you CAN do it. I guess it just got entered by somebody.

It's presence made it seem OK to me.

In any case I will stay quietly annoyed that all of my qualifying videos were kicked because of a problem with one. Quietly annoyed is pretty much normal for me anyway. :x
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 am

HalOfBorg wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:If you think of it as "disqualification is punishment for breaking the rules" it might make more sense. Trash data makes a video ineligible for this contest, yes, but putting the trash data in there in the first place is a no-no, and getting DQd from the VCAs is the stick to make sure you don't do it. It also stays with you year after year. If you don't make the corrections, you never get to participate. :shark:
"Unknown" IS available as a source for audio when you enter a video, so maybe entering that should NOT be possible since doing so is "breaking the rules" - though it's strange that you CAN do it. I guess it just got entered by somebody.

In any case I will stay quietly annoyed that all of my qualifying videos were kicked because of a problem with one. Quietly annoyed is pretty much normal for me anyway. :x
this is a perfectly valid point.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 am

kireblue wrote:
HalOfBorg wrote:

this is a perfectly valid point.
It is, which is why we're eventually going to work on fixing it for next year (hopefully). :roll:
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”