Question on fixing footage problem

topgamer101
Org Profile

Question on fixing footage problem

Post by topgamer101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I admit I don't have as much information on all these problems as I should, so hopefully one of yo guys can give me a heads up.

If you look at Medusa's face you can see the issue I'm having (I don't know if that's artifacts, or if it's something else.) It's the only real issue that pops up with the footage and I'm unsure what steps to take to get rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Question on fixing footage problem

Post by mirkosp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:51 pm

For starters, a lossless screenshot would help. It's kinda hard to tell apart what's introduced by the .jpg compression and what was there to begin with...
Also, that letterbox is somewhat suspicious, as is the resolution... you are using the DVDs, yes? >_>

topgamer101
Org Profile

Post by topgamer101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm

...yes I'm using dvds. :?

Anyway I'm refering to the issue of her face. If you look down the middle of it it has those lines on it. Not every shot has them though, so some look relatively clean with little issue. This one and the one after with Stein have them. Steins are more half circle type lines on his cheeks under his eyes.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:56 pm

It's banding, and it has to do with color gradients. I would use Gradfunkmirror (in avisynth) to fix it, although I personally haven't really encountered banding in my own sources so I wouldn't be able to instruct you on how to use it properly. Maybe mirkosp or mister hatt could help?
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

topgamer101
Org Profile

Post by topgamer101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Just knowing what the issue is called gives me a starting point to figure it out, thanks! :awesome:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”